Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I eat lots of fruit, Not so many bananas but eat a couple or three a month. I mainly eat blueberries,oranges, peaches and pears,when available.
    Fruit's good for my diabetes. I certainly understand laying off too much fruit and especially bananas when counting calories. Didn't mean to interrupt
    a conversation, ladies. You seem to have something
    going with them bananas.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/15/21) Monday - Day 25

Morning weight: 131.6 [​IMG]

Chicken thigh (skinless, boneless, tasteless): 150
    Pinto beans (1/4c): 70
    Baked potato (3/4 cup diced, with skin): 90

Frozen dinner ( +vegs ): 250

Fish (6 oz, sauteed, 2tsp butter ): 240
    Misc (cc): 10

Total: 810

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Last Monday (2/8) was a beautiful day. High 58, sunny, no wind. The tractor started right up, thanks to the battery maintainer. Birds are more active, wild onions growing. I felt like coming out of hibernation also. Took a walk around the mobile home looking for something that might need to be fixed.

The only thing I found was the trim board under the front storm door, which seems to have been attacked by termites or carpenter ants. I'm going by the paper thin remains and the smooth gap, but I could be wrong. Only deteriorated badly up 8" to the first glued joint. The boards behind it are solid. If I tried to replace the entire trim board I'd probably have to take off the whole door. :eek: Maybe cut a chunk of wood to fit, and slip it in at the bottom? But how to cover the seam? Caulking? Yuk. :p

upload_2021-2-16_19-56-34.png

The threshold below the door is solid. Looks like my father stuck an old scrap piece of lumber covered with tar under there. This is just a cosmetic thing, so far. I can put it off for a long time If I want. :)

Cold today. Back into hibernation. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/16/21) Tuesday - Day 26

Morning weight: 132.0 [​IMG]

5 olives (forgot to count yesterday): 40
    Beans & ketchup: 190
    Chicken thigh: 180
    Cottage cheese: 90
    Frozen dinner (+vegs) 250
    Misc (1 cc, 5 olives): 50

Total: 800

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/17/21) Wednesday - Day 27
    Three more days will be one month and I'll have an excuse to do another graph. :D

Morning weight: 131.4 [​IMG]

Chicken thigh (1/2): 90
    Beans (1/3c + ketchup): 140
    LF Cottage cheese: 90
    Fish (4 oz + 1/2 tbsp butter ): 150
    Frozen dinner: 240
    Canned green peas (3/4 c drained): 90

Today was harder. The only reason I can think of is I got up late, and ate first thing, simply because the clock said it was time, instead of when I was ready.

[​IMG]

upload_2021-2-17_21-47-9.png

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/18/21) Thursday - Day 28

upload_2021-2-19_0-33-48.png

Today I dusted everything upstairs. Why? Because the cat has started sneezing. This often coincides with when she comes to get me for something, like food, and I'm almost always upstairs then, but I don't think she is that clever.

Tempted to try an ostrich feather duster, to keep up more regularly, but I want a good one, or none at all, and the quality seems to be too variable according to reviews. You have to shake them out occasionally while dusting. I'd have to run downstairs and outdoors for every shake. :rolleyes: Don't remember anyone in my family ever having one, so they must not work very well. Better pass.

Morning weight: 131.2 [​IMG]

Made 4 separate "meals" today instead of 3. Works much better, but not easy, unless the frozen dinners are really low calorie. Not much to choose from. Found a Lean Cuisine herb roasted chicken dinner for only 180.

1. Half egg & cheese sandwich: 200
    2. LF Cottage Cheese: 90
    3. LC frozen herb chicken + vegs: 250
    4. Beans & ketchup: 250

Total: 790

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Von Jones likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/19/21) Friday - Day 29

Weight: 131.8 [​IMG]

Half egg & cheese sandwich: 200
    Cottage cheese (1/3c): 60
    Beans & ketchup: 180
    Frozen dinner (+vegs): 280
    10 olives: 80

(2/20/21) Saturday - Day 30

Weight: 130.8 [​IMG]

(1) Half E & C: 210
    (2) B & K: 180
    (3) Mixed vegs (2/3c), instant potato flakes (1/3c +2 tsp coffee creamer): 170
    (4) Frozen Salisbury steak (+vegs): 250

Total: 810

9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Morning weight: 130.6

Thirty day update:...Weight = 138.6 - (0.27) Day
    upload_2021-2-21_12-41-18.png

Average calories per day has been ~810, so the revised estimate, at current activity level (slug), ...

Maintenance Calories: . 810 + (0.27)(3500) = 1755

"Beans means never having to say you're hungry."

Von Jones and Bill Boggs like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/20/21) Saturday

Vacuum cleaners

The cat didn't sneeze yesterday, so I drug out Big Bertha, the vacuum cleaner with the beater brush power head, to give a more thorough cleaning of all the braid rugs.

Going along just fine through 2 rooms until I got into a dark corner, and you could see dust coming out of the power head. (Dang those headlights.) Then it stopped running. Had to dig out the user's manual. The filters were clogged with white powder, like drywall dust. After prying open all plastic doors with a knife, for fear of breaking them, and cleaning all (4) filters, it worked fine again.

I so wanted to love this vacuum. It has fantastic suction, picks up all cat hairs without tangling, beater brush goes deep into the little seams in braid rugs. It will pick up much more than my cheap Eureka. But everything is plastic. It's not going to last. I'm so afraid of breaking it again I avoid using it.

Sad part I have to dust those 2 rooms again now. Still haven't dusted under the bed. That will be a major undertaking. Those are the goals for today.

I also have a hand held Dirt Devil, mostly for the stairs. It works for that. So many vacuums and so little storage space for them. :(

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Well phooey on Martha Stewart. This guy says you only have to dust twice a year.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/23/21) Tuesday

Another item crossed off the bucket list

Today I dug up some wild onions from the yard out at the farm. Why? To find out what they taste like. It looks like a lot, but most of them are about the size of a pea. The big ones are gone because I've been fighting them for years.

upload_2021-2-23_19-20-54.png

Chose a simple scrambled eggs and onions recipe. Worth gambling just one egg. This is supposed to be something the Cherokee Indians have eaten for generations. (RECIPE) I figured the onions would be strong. When the goats ate them in the spring, their breath would knock you out. But they weren't at all. Very mild. You could hardly taste them. Maybe because I used the smallest onions.

When I tried to sauté the green parts they turned into little tough strings so I dug them out. Don't know what went wrong there. :confused:

There are more already cleaned, so I may try pickling the larger ones, and make soup out of the rest, just to see if the bigger ones are strong.

Was it worth it? Yes, once, just to taste them. I found out scrambled eggs with onions is good.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy--I love scrambled eggs with scallions. Did you cook the green tops whole? I'd suggest cutting into small pieces (1/2" or so), saute in a bit of oil or butter to soften, then add the eggs. A handy pair of kitchen shears makes quick work of cutting up green onion tops.

Nancy Hart and Bill Boggs like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

No, I did chop the green stems up into little half inch long pieces, and just used the bottom half of the stems. They were even tough to cut. I don't think even if you boiled them first they would ever be tender, but I could be wrong. Lucky I got them out easily before adding the egg.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

(2/23/21) continued ...

Forgot to mention it was a perfect day, high 73 and bright sun. Just before leaving I checked the cabin, and almost missed this dangling board. It is the facing for the end of the roof. How it ended up dangling there is a puzzle.:confused: I've been up late thinking about this (not the dangling, but how to fix it).

upload_2021-2-24_2-32-55.png

A board under the roof has apparently also broken. Another view.

upload_2021-2-24_2-50-48.png

Wire mesh to keep the squirrels from chewing a hole into the cabin was attached up there. And now there are 2 places they can enter under the roof. The facing goes right up to the peak and I can fix that if the ladder will go that high. Otherwise I'd have to dangle from above. :p

upload_2021-2-24_2-33-29.png

The broken board may be hard to fix. I might have to replace a couple of steel roof panels. There are solid wood planks underneath, like this

[​IMG]

Since many metal roofs only have battens (?) every 24 inches to attach the panels to, it shouldn't matter if one 8" board is completely missing, should it?

[​IMG]

As I wrote previously, the roof only has to last a few more years. Whoever buys it will bulldoze the cabin and start over. My inclination right now is to take the easy way out. Will think more after I get a better look at it.

Susan Paynter and Von Jones like this.