Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The only new bug picture is of butterflies attacking the hummingbird feeder. Red-Spotted Purples (Limenitis arthemis astyanax).

[​IMG]

Butterflies have a long slender tongue, called a proboscis. I remember that from the game Cootie.:) :p

[​IMG]

No drop in the liquid in the feeders since last time, so I assumed the birds were gone. Just by accident I saw 2 out of the corner of my eye flying past the porch, then spotted them once again. Couldn't stay until 5 pm.

Went to get some pear slices from the freezer to thaw out for Rusty and the refrigerator was dead. Lost about 5 pounds of pear slices. I hate that. Good news, it was just a tripped breaker.

The fence charger is shot. Not the breaker. Must have been a lightning strike that caused both. Will get a new one and put it up next time. Trying to get back to square one, or is it square -2? :confused::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart I think that you should forget the electric fence and bring Rusty to live with you.

He could open a nice little yoga studio.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

I'd have to teach him to use the stairs. They are a bit slow when it comes to stairs. :rolleyes:

Beatrice Taylor and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Now I want to make a hummingbird bath. The goat trough always trickles. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Joe Riley and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  6. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Mike could not go but watched it here on the Big Screen. My son went and when they were leaving out and were at the Country Club Entrance, a girl plowed into the back of a cop car in that third lane! Oops, she was either distracted by her phone or too much party drink! I bet those Athens Cops hate these home games! LOL

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Saturday was a farm visit day, and I didn't leave town until almost 1 pm. It was already bumper to bumper incoming. Had to listen to a lot of the first half on the car radio coming back. If you don't know the main players' names on *both* teams, it's hard to follow, for me anyway.

I guess LSU is the next big challenge. :eek: That's an away game. :)

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Three hummingbirds today (10/2). Carmen the spider is doing well. New fence charger is up and running.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Women pickers inPridham orchards, ca. 1915
    Apple pickers.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Back to the closet, finally... Nothing important to report. Just writing something down to stay motivated.

Did not think ahead enough and ended up with a little flap of drywall above the door with nothing to screw it into. Cut out a little chunk and glued something behind it. It was either that or take out the whole big heavy piece.

You are not supposed to leave a seam so that it aligns with the edge of a door or window, because they say it will likely crack. Otherwise this would have been easier.

[​IMG]

I have all the stuff necessary for the next step, I think. The bucket of joint compound weighs 64 lbs! There are so many seams and screws, for such a small room, there probably won't be a square inch that doesn't need covered.

The thought of all the little details that have to be done AFTER the next step, made me want to give this project up, but it finally sunk in that was not an option. lol. Something as straightforward as putting a frame around this door, will be a challenge, because the door is not set in straight. I may just paint the walls, toss everything in there in one big pile, lock the door, and throw away the key. (Just kidding)

Later:. Not very neat, but no worse than patching a hole, I guess. They say drywall is very forgiving. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Drywall is very forgiving until it gets dark and you turn on a light then all of the imperfections will be revealed.

This would be a great time to practice your skills at swirled ceilings or some other creative finish.

You can't quit now, think about how much you've accomplished already and how much enjoyment you provide to all of your loyal viewers!

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A closet, or back bedroom is the perfect place for one's first dry wall project. No one will see it, beside you. You have come a long way. Good job, Nancy!

Nancy Hart and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Friday, 10/5/18: Saw one pair of hummingbirds just once, and a single one, one other time. I don't think they will be there next time. That, and this song, are giving me a case of the Mean Reds. :rolleyes:

To a Wild Rose - Kenny Rankin

Ready to start the drywall finishing. Homecoming game tonight. Can't leave the house. No excuses left.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Drywall finishing progress

First coat on all screws, and all seams except 2 on the ceiling. Will do those later tonight. The screws are easy.

I've done 12 seams. A couple came out really nice. I have no idea why. Two short ones, above the door, look so bad, I might take them out and start over. The rest are somewhere in between. Started in an obscure corner, but it didn't get any better. Just random.

You have to wait a long time between coats. Going to do the corners tomorrow so I don't mess up the seams. Maybe I should go buy those metal reinforced corners, instead of trying to tape them?

One professional in a YouTube video says, "It will turn out as good as you decide you want it to be." .. Not true!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Beatrice Taylor and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Closet project. What I learned today. All good.

1. Corners, with plain old tape, are much easier to do than seams. (but see #2)
    2. The joint compound was too thick yesterday. Much easier to work with today thinned down a little.
    3. You can correct a lot of mistakes by sanding. I don't mind sanding.

The nuisance part is cleaning all the tools often, because I'm so slow, and the stuff starts to set up, and you can't use it then. Got a late start today because I dreaded starting the corners. Second wind now at 11:30 pm. May just keep working unless/until I conk out.