Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

CAT lolA.jpg

Andrea Lindsey and John Brunner like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Received the dental x-rays. Dr says this is thinner than a needle and not a piece of suture. So it must be about the thickness of a hair. Even if it was a real hair stuck in there, it shouldn't be that annoying, should it? It must be an artifact on the equipment.

[​IMG]

There are streaks of lines on this next one for comparison. This is the sliver of crown left. If that is still attached to the root, I can't think that it would bother her that much either.

[​IMG]

It must just be because she can't get used to losing the big canine (fang) tooth on the upper right. She fidgets with her mouth even when meowing. Now has learned to make a meow without opening her mouth. I can't decide what to do.

4. John Brunner

Different vet?

5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had an outdoor cat that lost his canine tooth in a fight, I guess. He never pawed at his mouth nor was bothered by eating. I am wondering if the piece of string, bone or whatever it is- is irritating a nerve. That would be painful. Or maybe it is a nerve exposed!? Poor kitty. Poor Momma. It is stressful for both of you.

Nancy Hart and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

She will have a different vet now. Likely an experienced one at UGA. The question is whether to take more x-rays and determine if that line is real or not, and then at least take out the sliver of crown. It might involve two more times being under anesthesia. And they are probably backed up at least 2-3 weeks for appointments. I should really decide by tomorrow.

Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thank you, Krystal. That is important to know.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  8. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

My mini-dachshund, like lots of small dogs, had constant trouble with her teeth, abscess after abscess, which the vet said must have been very painful.

I always felt bad about them, but she never pawed at her mouth and I wouldn't know about the abscess until she developed a lump and her breath would get bad. Finally I took her in to have yet another tooth removed and she came out of surgery completely toothless because under surgery the vet could see they were all diseased.

That was a few years ago and she's been so much healthier ever since! Now I say, when in doubt pull it out.

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks, Andrea. If I had known long ago, what was going on with this tooth resorption business, that would have been the thing to do I think. We've got an appointment for the 22nd to evaluate the situation and I'll bring it up if they don't, or sign off on it, if they suggest it. I suppose there may be a problem with these roots that are fusing with the bone. {sigh}

Andrea Lindsey likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

I worried about giving the B-12 injection to a squirming cat all day long Monday. Finally put on my big girl pants at 8 pm and got it done. Used the bundle method modified for giving shots between the shoulders, like they demonstrated at the hospital. She didn't even wince.

[​IMG]

When I unwrapped the towel, she didn't want to get out. The only hard part was (wait for it ...) catching her in the first place. It was a piece of cake, but tomorrow is always another day with a cat.

11. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

Glad it went well, Nancy.

For a few years, I had to give my cat an insulin shot twice a day, at 6am and 6pm.

I'd go out with the dog and a paper plate of shredded chicken and call Mickey. He would come trotting out of his hidey bushes and jump up on the patio table. While he was scarfing down the chicken, I would make a little tent of skin behind his neck, and give him the shot. He never even paused in the purring over his food.

The sweet part was that, when he was almost done with the chicken, he would look at the watching dog and stop, leaving something for his bestie. Snif. We all loved Mickey.

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's so sweet, Andrea. I wish this cat would be like that. For years you had to leave the room before she would eat. She is always suspicious. To her, it's got to be some kind of a trap. :(

Andrea Lindsey and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

That's good news about the shot being a nothing-burger. It would suck if (a) you cause your cat pain, and (b) it would never come near you again because of it. So has that B12 made a noticeable improvement?

Andrea Lindsey likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

I can't tell. Her appetite has increased, but the steroids can do that also. Still fidgeting with her mouth.

By the way, the 1970s blender makes chicken/beef liver into the consistency of yogurt, and the cat loves it. But it's so high in vitamin A it's only supposed to make up 5-7% of her diet. I put some in the freezer.

15. John Brunner

What's your source for your cat nutrition data? It's something I've never given thought to.

I wonder what you could mix it with to dilute the Vit A level. (I've never made homemade pet food.)