Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the top handle commercial battery trim saw. They've come up with another "improvement" (long story) to the standard models, but not on this one. It made the decision easier.

Isn't it a cute little thing? :cool:

upload_2024-6-7_10-16-3.png

The saw alone weighs just under 8 lbs. Comes with a 5 ah battery, which weighs 5 lbs, and a clip to hold the battery on a belt. They also make a backpack to hold the battery. Both would also work with a string trimmer. I like the short bar (12"), but you can order a longer one.

Picked it up from Lowes yesterday. Will wander around the house today and look for something to cut that won't make a mess to clean up. Otherwise I'll try it out at the farm tomorrow or Sunday. I guess I should have waited to try it out before mentioning it, but unless it doesn't work at all, I think it will be nice. Probably take a little getting used to.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I bought one of these and I get a lot of use out of it:

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh fine! I just got one. I have two bigger ones but sometimes I'd like to just have something small and easy in my trunk. Thanks guys.

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just ordered new blades for mine. I trashed one of them helping a neighbor out...I should have used a manual saw. I paid $17 for kit containing 4 blades and a 6" bar. I'll let you know if they are any good.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

The new bluebird pair have come to the deck several times recently with two little ones. As you can see, they already have distinct personalities. The one on the far right is very shy. House finch in between.

Yesterday was the day the adults started chasing the young ones off. They are officially on their own now.

This year the summer remodel of the bluebird house includes a screen over the 3/8" air gap at the top to keep bugs out. How could they resist? A week ago the female carried a load of pine straw, almost bigger than herself, into the box. This pair of adults are as secretive as the chickadees.

This is a fun time to watch birds. Many have little ones now. The most interesting was a flycatcher. She took off flying and did a loop in the air. The young one followed her pattern also making a loop. It must be hard to teach young ones to catch bugs on the fly. Much easier just to stuff food in their mouths.

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Update on the lawn...

The sprigs I can find from the first round have greened up, flattened out, and are almost ready to start putting out runners. I've been doing a second round of sprigging---over the same area. Filling in areas either I missed or they didn't take, and adding some in between so they are closer together. Only one small section left. Will try to finish that today.

Can't start the edges near the fence until all these sprigs get established, because keeping everything watered over the whole lawn would be a full-time job.

Not out of the woods yet with the solid patch. Some that looked healthy before are not looking as good now. I still think sprigging the entire lawn would have been the best way to go, with less work and only one pallet of sod. I may overseed with white clover this fall to discourage weeds. (@Von Jones: St. Augustine mixed with small clover looks good. The white clover will eventually die out.)

The grading and addition of more dirt seems to have destroyed the fire ant hills. The only ones remaining are in the areas that weren't disturbed. I need to jump on them, and not let them get out of hand again. The gnats (no-see-ums) drive you crazy. They head for your ears, nose, eyes, and mouth. Cover your glasses trying to get to your eyes. I stuff cotton in my ears.

Normally I would have really enjoyed doing this job. The pulled leg muscles, etc, made it unpleasant. @Mary Stetler is my inspiration. The deadline is still July 4th to finish everything.

Von Jones and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

Am I your inspiration because I procrastinate?o_O
    I started putting in a small patch of corn in the garden yesterday. With all the rain the ground is definitely wet enough for the seeds to start, and then some and it is supposed to be dry the next few days. I saw where if you plant small patches, you plant close together and skip the 10 inches between rows for cultivation. Thinking about this later, not sure that was the best idea.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

We had a manual cultivator for the garden when I was a kid. Do you have one? I think they still make them.

upload_2024-6-9_10-56-9.png

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I have a hand cultivator that looks a bit like the one under the rig. But with our clay, sometimes it is sooooo sticky even our rototiller is not the best choice. Anyway, I kind of like to complain.;)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

After returning to almost normal for a couple of weeks, the cat came up with a new pattern of eating---enough to stay alive in the short term, but not nearly enough to maintain her weight in the long term. I would estimate about 60 calories a day. She needs a minimum of 160. This has been going on about a week. In addition, she only eats once a day now, in the midafternoon. If you want to find out what's going on you only get one chance per day to watch.

The only thing she will keep trying to eat is that Purina dry cat food. Even after I pick out those new chewable jagged pieces, she paws at her mouth as if she's trying to get something dislodged, and gives up. Before I would find pieces laying all over around the food dish. She is drinking plenty of water. I started putting the dry food in a puddle of chicken broth with a little fat. That has worked for the last 2 days, but only at 3 pm. Maybe she got a steroid pill stuck in her throat and it caused an ulcer?

She will still take the lickable tubes if fed by hand. But squeeze the stuff out onto a plate? No dice. I've been giving 2 in the morning with the pill and 2 at night. Only adds about 30 more calories. I can certainly increase that, but doesn't solve the problem long term.

Called yesterday for an appointment at the UGA Teaching Hospital, expecting a 3 week wait. Got transferred to the UGA Pet Health Center by mistake and they said drop her off at 7:30 am tomorrow. It's normal to monitor these meds occasionally. There are some serious side effects due to long term use of steroids. A blood test can usually diagnose those. I hope they can also tell me if she is in any pain. I can't tell.

No matter what they tell me, I'll bring her home for a while and try a few more things. I don't believe they try very hard to figure things out. Just go by the book. And you don't dare suggest something simple they didn't think of. They will write you off as being in denial. I'm way past that. More into depression.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So sorry, Nancy. I know how difficult it is to see a pet suffering; it's such a helpless feeling. I hope they can help her.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart -- You seem quiet lately; I hope everything's OK. How's the kitty doing?