Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I've always wanted to learn how to lay glass blocks. :) o_O :rolleyes:

My basement has bulletproof granite stone walls. There is an old wood window in the basement behind the steps going up to the deck. I removed one pane years ago to put a dryer vent. The window has now deteriorated, plus the squirrels are chewing on it trying to get in.

The window provides light in a dark corner of the basement. The stumbling block to a glass block window has been the cost, but they don't make cheap windows anymore either.

Something like this only 6 blocks tall. They make block inserts for dryer vents.

upload_2024-8-9_11-32-31.png

The squirrels are helping to provide motivation to do this as the next project.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting. Can you cut the blocks to fit the opening, or do you have to cut the opening to fit the blocks?

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

The glass blocks are hollow and can't be cut, but they make 2 sizes. Granite stones can't be cut without heavy duty equipment.

Fortunately the opening is perfect for 3 blocks wide. The height will work for 6 blocks with a couple inches left over. It probably should be built up at the bottom a little to add a sloping sill anyway.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

So I got a local guy to come out and treat the house. He told me the secret. Kentucky Fried Chicken. He said, this time of year, yellow jackets just love greasy fried food. Although, I am pretty sure that is not what he used in his sprayer equipment.

5. John Brunner

Mary Stetler, post: 759505, member: 2289"]So I got a local guy to come out and treat the house. He told me the secret. Kentucky Fried Chicken. He said, this time of year, yellow jackets just love greasy fried food. Although, I am pretty sure that is not what he used in his sprayer equipment.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that "WASPS Like Our Chicken" is gonna be a winning slogan.

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

8/10/24 Saturday

Picked up the running boards at the Ford dealer in the morning. Stopped at Lowes for a 50 lb. bag of lime, then McD's for a cheeseburger and Diet Coke. :)

The instructions for the running boards were even easier than the YouTube video. Took a little longer to install without crawling under on your back (makes me dizzy), but only about an hour total. I like them because you can barely see them. They help a lot getting in, but the challenge now is to not bang your head. Will trade a pulled leg muscle for a lump on the head any day.

upload_2024-8-11_11-23-33.png

The St Augustine grass is turning yellow-green. Likely the Ph of the clay soil they put down is too low. Spread the lime this evening and watered, while the neighbors were having a preschool party.

Opened the tailgate to load the running boards, and then to load the lime, but when I got home it wouldn't open again. Had to climb up in the bed, open the bag of lime and put half in a bucket to lift over the side.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When there's a will, there's a way.;)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Back to the window project...

I've enjoyed the free-spirited, "boho" look of this window for many years. It will be sad to see it go. :rolleyes:

upload_2024-8-19_4-0-7.png

It has taken a long time to decide if this is a do-able DIY project. Everything is torn out now and re-measured. The opening is almost perfectly squared.

upload_2024-8-19_4-0-24.png

Ordered the glass blocks yesterday through Home Depot. They are made in the Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic.:) A dryer vent replacement block is coming from Illinois. I'm expecting an email from HD saying, "Sorry, this item has been discontinued," any minute. (a pre-emptive comment).

Update already: . Isn't it funny how you notice things from pictures you don't see in real life? While writing this, I spotted that little square stone just below the window in the pictures, and ran out to measure it. If I could knock that stone out it would be perfect for a dryer vent. So much better than replacing a glass block in the window with one.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That "before" picture on the top is very interesting to look at. It has a "still life" quality.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Even your your cellar window has running boards! Cool!

11. John Brunner

Not long after I joined here, someone was looking for suggestion in reorganizing their kitchen cutlery/junk drawer. I did mine not long beforehand so I took a pic and posted it. After I uploaded the pic and was looking at it, I saw the small utility knife that I had lost! I keep it in that drawer, and I guess when the drawer closed the thing flew forward into another compartment...but I could not find it IRL (In Real Life.)

Don Alaska, Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"A picture is not worth a thousand utility knives!"
    [​IMG]

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

14. John Brunner

Dryer vent? Or are you opening a Drive Thru for dieters?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Putting a dryer vent in a glass block window is like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. :eek:

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.