Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Couldn't you just use the tractor bucket to lift it?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It doesn't have a front end loader. There is a bucket scoop attachment. That would work.

What I should have done was back the truck up to the porch. We've done that many times loading furniture and large appliances. It just completely slipped my mind. :rolleyes: I didn't spend enough time thinking about it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You also could have dug a hole and buried it!

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Or send it off to live with the fishes? :)

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Got side tracked today cutting all these little cedars out in front of the cabin. Every time I can get the saw started I have to cut something because it may never start again. lol The 3 maples have to go. Monday maybe, but it's supposed to rain.

[​IMG]

The beavers have been busy. The culvert I was going to cover is now half under water. Didn't think that would happen.

[​IMG]

A little cove right next to the cabin was where we always caught the most fish.

Before and after the drain repair
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't have time to drive to the dam. Saw 2 geese.

The contractor got the water level about a foot too low. :( I knew they didn't understand the siphon. He is aware of it. ;) Can't be changed now, so I'm trying to think of something positive. Oh yeah... I couldn't get anyone else to do it.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Update on hedge clippings: . Thirty-four cuttings taken on January 2nd. One sprouted out soon, but the rest kept wilting until it was down to 12. Four more sprouted out just this week. That has been 11 weeks!!! .. How could they survive that long? :confused:

Roots should be visible through the glass jars next, if they are ever going to get them. Maybe I'll try some more cuttings. It should be too late by now, but who knows. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

This setup would be cheaper.

[​IMG]

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Did I say the hard part is over with the closet? Nope. The floor has a large hump down in the middle. Can't run one straight piece of baseboard on two sides, for one thing ... plus ... never mind.

Remembered the 12'x8' Persian rug someone gave me. It is thick wool, and has a good backing. I'm going to cut a chunk out and stick in it there. It will hide the hump. Don't want to even think about shopping for a new carpet right now. :p Still have to trim it a little around the sides, now that it is in there. .. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Cutting a chunk out from the back side

[​IMG]

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yesterday afternoon did not go well. Goal was to cut down one maple tree and clean up the mess. It was supposed to rain, but should have only taken 20 minutes. First tree went down fine. It's bigger than it looks.

[​IMG]

When I tried to saw off the limbs, the saw got caught in a bind and I couldn't unstick it with the tools at hand. Removed the saw and left the chain. About that time it started pouring rain. Next time I have to unstick the chain.

The carpet is cut and laid in the closet, but it should be fastened around the edges. No suitable fasteners in the house.

It's been going like this for some time. Everything I try to do creates more jobs, or errands to run, and things keep breaking.

Started last night on the 2017 taxes. This required recording the reinvested dividends for 3 stocks for the last 21 years! Sure enough the numbers didn't match exactly what I reported, but they were in my favor, i.e. IRS would owe me a little. The difference would be less than 0.05% of the total. Not worth it.

I'm going to give them all the numbers exactly, but put the totals I reported on the 2017 form. If they bother to add them all up again, it will show they owe me. Fine. If they don't, which I don't think they will, it will be done. I can claim arithmetic malfunction. ;)

Found an Epson printer at Walmart cheaper than 2 rounds of ink cartridges for the old one.

Pulled an all-nighter doing the taxes, so not too sharp this morning. :p ..Good morning! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Just random thoughts for the record. Yesterday was a busy day. Just want to remind myself I can get things done if I get started. No time to edit this.

Finally got serious and did some things that were long overdue. Most involved making phone calls. Anything requiring phone calls I put off. Oddly I was never put on hold on any call.

Sure enough a plastic part on the new vacuum broke, already. This happened some time ago. I still like this vacuum. Reported it to Electrolux. They are sending a mailing label for UPS for the part. Glad it's not the whole vacuum, just the power head. She said they would fix it so it never happened again. How can they do that.

Finished baseboards in closet. The worst piece of work I've ever done in my whole life. Bring on the caulking. Still need to sink some nails in the trim, cover the access hole, install support.

Put the response to 2017 IRS Tax dispute into presentable fashion, and took it to P.O. I wanted it out of sight.

Requested a replacement credit card for one I lost a long time ago.

Stopped phone autopay from a joint checking account with my mother, closed the account, transferred to my checking account. Checked on cancelling landline and maybe getting DSL instead. They said 25 megs. Is that slow? Can you ring your cell phone from a pc with wifi? Without wifi? Spent an hour trying to make sure I have been reporting interest on a CD, sent to that account, on taxes. Cancelled May 2018. Don't remember doing that.

Shopped for caulking, packaging material, and a ceiling hook for closet (no luck, got a door handle). Looked at some riding lawn mowers at various places. I wonder if this variable transmission is a good thing. Did some grocery shopping.

Called a roofer for an estimate (mobile home). He may stop by while I'm out there this afternoon, otherwise, he will just call with an estimate.

I was so wired after I got home I took a swig of that Old Crow to calm down and fell asleep. The first all-nighter led to another one, and another one, but should get back to normal Saturday.

Today:
    Decided to let UPS package the vacuum. Too much trouble. Just received the notice with a number but no label. Will head to UPS right now. I want this over with.

Still need a new cell phone. It's running on fumes. Will try to take care of that tomorrow.

Last week:
    Spring cleaning at the farm, microwave, and new toaster oven was somewhat a waste of time right now. Thought I was getting company out there, but I cancelled (long story).

New wireless printer in town was easy to set up. Will take the old printer out to the farm today, store it temporarily and see if I can get around to fixing it.

I've been doing my part to stimulate the economy.

Meanwhile other things are coming up, including....

2018 taxes, roof leak same day, in garage and barn (both metal, so I can fix these). Both may never happen again. Roof leak on mobile home porch that has been since day one. No one could ever find it. Hope the roofer can. Fence repairs (always), 3 red tips and more tree cutting. Weeds on front lawn in town needs mowing already.

Throw out about half the stuff that was in the closet, and put the rest back. Trip to the landfill with the microwave and other stuff. Do something about the beavers.

This winter I got 3 chances at killing the wild onions in the lawn. That saved me 2 mowings this spring, and probably next spring. Just remembered I forgot to transplant those two hedges this winter. Now they need trimmed again.

The first all-nighter led to another and another, and now I've become a night person. Should get back to regular people schedule by Saturday.

Will life get back to normal after this? I doubt it. Odd numbered years have always been bad luck.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Man, it sounds like you have had a very busy week! What is next, @Nancy Hart?

Nancy Hart likes this.