Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, there is a 5 hp Gale Buccaneer motor sitting in the garage out there. It has become a fixture there for so long I don't even see it. Last time it was used was probably 1983. Wonder if you could ever get it to run again.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

What a memory jog. We carried Glastron boats.

1960-Glastron_0009.jpg

A book on Amazon. Our competitor carried Chris-Craft.

evinrude johnson obm.jpg

My father was not a good salesman. If he really liked a customer, he would sell at cost. If he didn't like you, he would run you off. It seemed there was no one in between. lol

Also, having a full time job at the tire factory didn't allow enough time to devote to a new business.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I once owned one of these:
    [​IMG]

We raced boats in "J" class and were limited to 10 HP, but we cheated. A machinist showed us how to put clay on the top of the piston and cycle the motor, then take it head back off and measure the thickness of the clay to calculate the clearance between the top of the piston and the spark plug protrusion. top of the dome. He then machined the head down to increase the compression ration and gained us an extra 2-3 HP on the little motor. We also redesigned the keel for really sharp turns since most of our races were on very tight courses. I have no recollection of whatever happened to the little motor.

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"In 1900, Ole Evinrude co-founded the custom engine firm Clemick & Evinrude. In 1907, he invented the first practical and reliable outboard motor, which was built of steel and brass, and had a crank on the flywheel to start the two-cycle engine. In 1907 he had built his first gasoline-powered outboard motor, and two years later, Evinrude Motor Company was founded in Milwaukee. The simplest type of engine the company produced was a 2-stroke internal combustion engine that was powered by a mixture of gasoline and oil."

"Evinrude reported that his invention was inspired by rowing a boat on Okauchee Lake, a small lake outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on a hot day to get ice cream for his girlfriend, Bess.[4][5] By 1912, the firm employed 300 workers.
    "

"Evinrude let two motorcycle-mad teens tinker in his Milwaukee-based machine shop; one was named Arthur Davidson, who went on to Harley-Davidson motorcycle fame, also based in Milwaukee.
    "

"Ole Evinrude formed Evinrude Outboard Motors, which he sold in 1913 in order to look after his sick wife."

Evinrude Outboard Motor
    [​IMG]

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

This discussion is going to bring on some old pictures. :rolleyes:

Dates all 1963 +/- one year:

We changed to Aristo-Craft boats by 1962. The fish in that obviously hand made sign are not as large as I remember. I still think there was another fish, painted on wood, which probably got ruined by the weather. The man sitting on the sawhorse is the truck driver.

[​IMG]

We always had a boat for vacation during that period. :D

My mother, on one of several fishing vacations in Ontario, Canada.

[​IMG]

My father and grandfather, also in Ontario.

[​IMG]

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I love doing federal taxes---a grand puzzle. :D.. It's like taking a flow chart and trying to figure out what the person who designed it was trying to do, working backwards.

I wish they would just write in words what they are doing. Maybe no one knows how? I suspect a computer geek wrote the code long ago, and only he knows... and they've just been tweaking it ever since.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Taxes are in the post office waiting to go out. Ta-da!

It wasn't easier this year, because the forms have changed and changes last year threw the withholding way off, so I owed on both State and Federal, had to pay a small penalty to the Fed, and justify no penalty to the State. But FOR SURE it will be easy next year. ;)

By the way I read the most common error the IRS makes in challenging your taxes has to do with brokerage firms not reporting cost bases. I don't expect to hear back from them about that for months.

Stopped at McD's on the way home from the P.O. and got a cheeseburger and large Diet Coke to celebrate. Ate in the "dining room." :cool:

[​IMG]

Beth Gallagher and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart I don't think the investment firms are required to report your basis to the IRS, although some do as a service. They should, however, provide you with that number and you can use it when filing. Same goes for the basis on real estate. Your realtor is not required to report the basis on your house if you sell it, but you should be able to provide that to the tax folks.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's right. I didn't explain it well. There is even a box to check on the tax form letting IRS know the cost basis was not reported to them (and I checked it). What a waste of everyone's time (I hope). ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

UPS says there is a package to be sent to me, from an unnamed location. It has been sitting waiting to be picked up for 2 days. Another adventure. I can picture a man in that little shop in Eden, NC, repairing the vacuum part, in such a remote little town, he is having trouble getting anyone to pick it up. ;)

The roofers showed up right on time last week. Climbed on the roof and took pictures. Said they would email me an estimate Tuesday. Haven't heard back. I was too busy anyway. I was supposed to call them if I didn't hear. If they do a good job I may get the roof done in town. Thinking about metal there.

Got a wireless charger for the new phone. It works great.

I've already missed a couple of phone calls because I don't want to carry this phone around in my pocket, even around the house, and the ringer isn't as loud, imo. It seems to get better reception out in the country, but I haven't checked in the dead zones yet. Maybe today.

The bigger screen makes typing easier, and the touch screen flies by at lightning speed when you swipe it, but it is so sensitive right up to the edges of the phone. That pad of muscle and fat right below your thumb wraps around the edge and makes it do strange things. Will see what Walmart has this weekend in terms of cases, etc.

Got all 3 lawnmowers started this spring.:D Mowed front yard in town. All weeds. Southern grass is greening up, but hasn't started growing yet.

Thinking about making a turnaround spot for a car in back of the house. I wonder if just a load of thick gravel would work. There is a water line and a drain line in the vicinity, and I don't want to break them. I would guess, but not sure, if I decided to get it paved later, the gravel would not be a hindrance?

Good-day!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Beth Gallagher and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

.....can't wait to hear....the rest of the story!:rolleyes:

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

The package got picked up, headed for Geensboro, on to Salisbury, NC, then to Doraville, GA.

It left Doraville 28 minutes ago. :cool:

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Trying out a new strategy of de-cluttering the closet and cleaning the bedroom of construction dust.

All the things that were in there, are being moved downstairs in the middle of the living room floor where there is more space to sort, and they can't be easily ignored. The theory is... the closer I am to the door, the more likely I'll throw something away. Especially if alternatively I have to carry it back up the stairs.

The rule is going to be....

1. If I can buy something new just as good, then I throw it away.
    2. If it has real sentimental value, I'll take a picture of it first.

We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile I've just fired up the Masters Tournament on another window on the pc. Hope it is not as much of a distraction today as it was yesterday.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Joe Riley likes this.