Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

June 26

Tried shifting work to late afternoon. There are benefits. For one thing, you usually know for sure by then if it's going to rain.

The plan was to spray weeds growing on the perimeter fence. Loaded the cart, got to the first major corner and found a large oak down on the corner posts. More wind damage from Saturday night.

[​IMG]

The neighbor was working on it with a chain saw, and said he would get the biggest parts off the fence. It was blocking his horses from entering another pasture. The picture was taken later after he had already done some work. This corner has needed some repairs for a long time. So it can help to put things off sometimes. That repair work would have been completely wasted. :)

Continued on with spraying. Turned the next corner and found two uprooted oaks laying across the fence on the back side.

[​IMG]

The largest in front is only 12". I can do this one... next time. Had the saw, but not enough gas, or energy, or daylight left. Had to turn around and go back the way I came, so still haven't checked over half of the fence!

Rusty's deer friend showed up. Haven't seen her in weeks. Saw a rabbit out of the corner of my eye, and heard a mockingbird trying to imitate a whippoorwill. It was pretty bad.

Just as I was leaving, the garage door closer banged against the control box and quit working. Will think about that one tomorrow. :rolleyes: And the coffee pot stopped working.

Short video of the deer. We usually end up just standing and staring at each other, until I finally blink first. She acts rather nonchalant near the end.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Emma Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

When I moved to Georgia (1975) I had never even heard of cable TV. . It was part of the rent at my first apartment, and after years of having no TV at all, I thought this was just the best thing ever invented! :cool:

Ted Turner was the owner of the Braves baseball team, and broadcast every single Braves game on his TV station. The team was terrible, but I got hook one summer in the late Seventies, more interested in the players than the game itself.

Gaylord Perry played for the Padres that year, and the Braves could never hit him. I liked watching him mainly because of the routine he went through on the mound.

Perry was a terrible hitter. Alvin Dark, Perry's manager in 1963 said, "Mark my words, a man will land on the moon before Gaylord Perry hits a home run." On July 20, 1969, Perry hit his first and only career home run 2 hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

This picture was possibly taken when Perry won his 300th game in 1983 with the Mariners.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

The Spitball

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The High Country’s Gaylord Perry: A Major League Baseball Immortal
    [​IMG]

Gaylord and Deborah shown among his various baseball memorabilia at a fund raising event in Arizona for the Fergie Jenkins Foundation. Named for the former Canadian pitcher, who played for four Major League teams, and like Gaylord, was a National League Cy Young Award winner, the Fergie Jenkins Foundation was founded in 1997 under the mission statement of “Serving Humanitarian Need Through the Love of Sport.”
    [​IMG]

Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Trip to Walmart. Bought my first ever fresh pineapple, a big one, $2.48. I figure I'll be sorry. Can cross that off the bucket list. Need to Google how long they keep.

No cheap temporary flower pots. These hedge cuttings should be put in some regular soil soon. They wanted almost $3 ea. for a thin clear plastic pot, thinner even than 2 liter soft drink bottles. It would be cheaper to buy a dozen new plants and throw the plants away, just to get the pots. Went with some styrofoam drinking cups instead, but they didn't even have Xlarge ones.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooh, a fresh pineapple!! Save the top when you cut it off; you can plant it and have your own pineapple plant! They make cute potted plants.

Emma Smith, Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Good grief, it says the thing (pineapple) only keeps up to 5 days if kept in the refrigerator, and up to 3 otherwise. How can that be? .. I suspect most of it will end up in the freezer.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It isn't quite the same after it has been frozen, but once you taste, it may not last 5 days. Just be careful not to eat too much at once, as the enzymes involved (bromelain) will burn you lips. I agree with @Beth Gallagher, the tops make cute house plants. They are bromeliads.

I go through thousands of pots, and sometimes you can get them from recycling centers, or garden clubs that do pot recycling. Hard plastic cups like Solo cups hold up better for me than the styrofoam ones, but I used to use styrofoam cups as well.

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Beats me; it never lasts that long around here. :D Once you peel it and core, there's not as much there as you think.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh... and I have wanted to try this "new method" of eating a pineapple...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

I hope so.

Doubt I have a knife sharp enough... I do have an oscillating tool, circular saw, jigsaw, and hedge clippers. Which would you suggest? ;)

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I usually just cut off the top & bottom, stand it on end, then run a sharp knife along the sides (top to bottom) and peel off the "eyes". I also have a pineapple corer thing that works really well... CLICK!

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks, Beth. I found another video by my favorite food person, Emmymadeinjapan.. It shows the same thing as your video. . Not so much cutting. . She said to pick a browner one than I chose. Maybe a greener one will last longer, and give me more time to think about this. ;) [​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

June 28

About 1 pm, just as I was leaving for Walmart, two young deer, still with spots, came running into the backyard from the direction of the busiest road. .

Started working back there at 6 pm and saw one of them again. I hope their mother is still alive, finds them, and they all stay off the roads. Don't like to think about it. :(

Did some mowing and started cutting down 4 or 5 very large dying red tips. It only took one to fill up the back of the truck below eye level. Tomorrow I'll probably take a crack at those trees on the fence. Depends on my mood. :p

Joe Riley likes this.