Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

If these ARE persimmon trees, they should be old enough to start producing. It would be nice to get some persimmons, just for fun, but I'll have to fight the possums for them. They climb trees, and I don't, so not holding my breath.

2. Nancy Hart

Registered

July 18 (Thursday)

Saw a young deer, still with some spots, inside the fence near the house. Could it be the offspring of Rusty's girlfriend?

Another tree uprooted near the house. :rolleyes: Tall cherry but just the top hit the fence. One hour job, only because I had to carry most of the leaves outside the fence (poison when they wilt). Good exercise but too hot.:p

The pump man called Friday saying I need a new pump. He will install it Monday morning. It is a submersible pump, and I think the well is slightly over 200' deep. Just about every essential thing out there, except the heat pump, will be 25 years old come September. Must remember to remove the frog from the well cover today. He already has one broken foot. :(

frog1.jpg

Hauling water is time consuming. I want to get all this stuff over with so I can start catching up. ;)

Bill Boggs, Joe Riley and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy, there is no such thing as "catching up"!

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Hey Pam! .. Isn't that the truth!

Would you believe they didn't show up to do the pump Monday. At least I got the lawn mowed while waiting. I wanted to be there, but it's too much trouble to coordinate. Haven't heard anything so far today.

I keep forgetting things lately. Brain overload. One day I forgot to even CLOSE (not just lock) the back door when I left out there, and another day I left the water hose running overnight in town, just to name two.

It's been raining today. We need it but it will make the grass grow. :( How about you?

senior humor1.jpeg

Joe Riley and Bill Boggs like this.
  5. Pam Sellers

Registered

Welcome to my world! Too much on my mind. I'll go to the pantry and ask myself..."Now what was I looking for?" Yep there will be yard mowing and weed eating by the end of the week around here. But they say the humidity levels will be lower. I'm thinking...how about the temperatures being lower!

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

The worst place where that happens to me is the grocery store. I remember something I forgot to get, head in what I think is the right direction, and forget half way there. I wander back and forth around the store like a zombie sometimes. The management may call in the white coat guys some day. :oops:

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Pam Sellers

Registered

I will take the time to make a list for the grocery store and then half the time I forget to take it out of my purse when I am there! I have even got to the check out and finally pull out my list and realize I forgot the very first item on the list and have to back out of the line! How horrible is that? I think this is good comedy movie material! You can't make this stuff up! LOL

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Maybe we should try email

[​IMG]

Emma Smith likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Pump man called this afternoon to tell me I had water. No water to the barn when I got there, but I figured it out. He put the base of the well cover back on level this time. Saw the bird with the nest in the barn. Just a wren, maybe a Carolina wren. Eggs are the same color, but they looked way too big for a wren.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks for the nice story, Joe. I am yet to be convinced that it is a poem, but still open to the possibility. ;)

I'm going to paste the Morning has Broken poem (by Eleanor Farjeon) from the Christian Hymns thread here. I must have played the song over dozens of times yesterday, so it's fresh on my mind. It is simple and perfect, imo. Not sure which is the proper form to display it. I wonder how this pattern is described.

Morning has broken, like the first morning
    Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
    Praise for the singing. Praise for the morning
    Praise for them springing fresh from the Word

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
    Like the first dewfall on the first grass
    Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
    Sprung in completeness where His feet pass

Mine is the sunlight. Mine is the morning
    Born of the one light Eden saw play
    Praise with elation. Praise every morning
    God's recreation of the new day

In fairness, it would be almost impossible to extend that same pattern to a lengthy story. But I still think some writers of the lyrics of songs don't get enough credit.

Eleanor Farjeon

ef.jpg

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Poems that do not rhyme or follow any metrical pattern are called free verse poems. As I read it, Laura Donnelly seems to be seeing, and describing in detail, the sights and sounds of the birds and bees that surround her, making her a part of it all!

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

I didn't mean to sound critical, Joe. I just happened to be hung up at the time on how difficult it must be to write a poem that rhymes so perfectly as Morning is Broken, and still is able to tell a story with so few words and adjectives. Just a coincidence of timing.

As I was reading it I thought about how she would describe it, if I took her to the lake just after sunset in July or August. The sounds of all the night critters are so loud compared to daytime. Hard to separate them out, except maybe for the bullfrogs and whippoorwills.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered