Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Robert Frost playing tennis with a net

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Today I sprayed some weeds up near the house and passed by the known persimmon tree. It has a lot of fruit.

[​IMG]

Painted Kermit the frog another coat. He has been sitting on the porch until the pump man finished. Little pieces seem to be flaking off his surface. :( He needs new eyes, and then he goes back on top of the well cover. I would guess he weighs at least 40 pounds.

[​IMG]

The hummingbirds are very shy this year. Probably they are all new ones. I've only seen 3 for sure, but there must be more, because they are consuming about 1/2 cup of sugar water per day now.

And finally, this is Larry the lizard. He makes his rounds across the porch every day I'm out there. He shines a bright iridescent blue if the sun hits him just right.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

I saw one early in the spring with a lot of its tail missing. Could be the same one, because the tail in the video looks a little short. They don't grow back exactly the same.

"Though functional, the new tail section often is shorter and will contain cartilage rather than regenerated vertebrae of bone."

skink.jpg

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Things are almost back to square one, except I must have carried a flea or two in the house on my feet, because the cat is scratching. She is so unpredictable to handle. It's always something.

Plan to get back on the red tips today. I started on the worst half, next to the neighbor with the kudzu. They were all tangled together at the top with kudzu, wisteria, and greenbriar vines, so when you cut them they just dangle in the air. :rolleyes: With luck I might get this part cleared out today.

[​IMG]

The ones on the right half are smaller and free from vines, so they should go easier.

[​IMG]

You are limited by how much will fit in the truck at one time, and I have to chop them up in smaller pieces or it would take 20 truckloads. That chopping takes the most time. Maybe it would be quicker in the long run to make 20 trips, but that would stretch the job out through October.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Is burning them an option?

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

I wish. .Not in town.

We have leaf and limb pick up but the service has become a joke. They only come every 8 weeks, and you are limited to what you can put out. Few even use it anymore. They just hire someone to haul stuff off to the landfill.

I would hire someone to do this, but it's such good exercise, especially when you can do a little at a time like this.

Even in the country you can't burn without a permit, although permits are easy to get, as long as there are not fire hazard conditions. I think they just want to know when they see smoke it's not an accident.

Joe Riley and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Things are not going well. Had to get out the mattock and pound this one off the edge. It was intertwined with the next red tip in line. The branch to the right is still dangling up in the vines. I need to grab it and swing. :p

[​IMG]

This one was at least 30' tall.

redtip1 7 29.jpg

The real problem is the chain keeps coming off the saw (3 times). :( It scares me when that happens. Maybe something got bent? Anyway, I have enough to cut up for one load already, but it doesn't look like any progress has been made. o_O

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Make sure the chain is properly tensioned @Nancy Hart. Either the chain isn't tightened or the bar or chain are worn out. Do you know how to tighten the chain?

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Tightened? . Yes, same as always. Tension?. Not sure. . That sounds like springs or something. Does it have to do with that round thingamajig? Or that extra screw? ;)

First time off was because the tree caught the chain and pulled it off. After that time, not sure what happened.

Thanks Don! . Headed for Youtube to see what I can find.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

As you tighten the chain, you increase the tension on the links. You do not want to over tighten it. You should be able to move the chain, with your hand.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Don Alaska:

That was it! . I've always run it with the chain too loose, according to the videos, but it never seemed to matter. It must be this hard wood. It works fine now. Thank you!

I got it too tight one time, and it didn't work well at all, so I tend to leave it too loose. :p

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy, you are so tiny that I doubt that would work. :D

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

It's the momentum with which you pounce on the vine that matters. I'll get a running start. :D

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Video please. :D

Nancy Hart likes this.