Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder, if while the ground was wet, someone walked over the spot, it might be a more dangerous shock.

Hope you can get that fixed soon. And be careful. :)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I could be wrong, but I doubt you could feel anything, Emma. The current would be diffused throughout yards of damp soil, unless you went digging down and hit a bare wire.

I think it's OK. Just a bunch of related coincidences. Guess I'll know where to look now if the lights in the barn start blinking. ;)

3. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Not something to take a chance with.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy--I'm a little confused. Does the "significant jolt" come from an electrical shock, or the fact that the ground has sunk and the lawnmower "hops" over the hole in the ground? If it's electrical, then I agree with Emma... not a safe situation. Be careful.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Oops, "jolt" was bad choice of words. I meant it bounces you off the seat of the mower when you hit it going fast. I like to mow fast. :)

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, that's what I thought but sometimes I don't get it. :D

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I'm now thinking a skunk is just digging around the house looking for grubs, and the odor is drifting under there and hanging around. But I'll do a little more digging myself next time. Anyway it must be gone because it didn't dig itself out, or back in.

HOW COFFEE AROMA RELATES TO SKUNK STENCH

skunk chemistry.png

In Conclusion
    "So when is it that the presence of a skunk is likely to smell most like our delicious coffee aroma? It is long after the initial presence of our striped or spotted friend—when its mercaptan levels have diminished, causing its odor to have faded considerably."

Skunk-Attacking.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

The pine needles are starting to fall. They seemed to have helped around the roots of the dogwood tree in town. I want more to put behind the garage out there. Mowed the lawn Tuesday to make raking easier, hopefully the last mowing for the year.

Yesterday I cut dozens of small pine trees, which have popped up near the main road, with the lopping shears. I have avoided checking the cabin, because I'm not in the mood to find anything else to get upset about just now. Took the truck at the last minute, expecting the worst. No mice or squirrels in the cabin, no apparent two-legged activity, the water level in the lake is fine, the boat is still there, and only a few limbs to throw off the road to get there. All is well. :cool:

The water is brown and cloudy from all the rain.

[​IMG]

I've got at least 4 big jobs to do out there this winter, and the time change will make it difficult to get home before dark and still miss the 5 pm traffic, unless I start earlier. :p I'm beginning to look forward to spring already. :rolleyes:

10. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy, we have many chipmunks that "tunnel" around the house and my flower beds. They are as bad as all the squirrels! Did you watch the GA/FL game? My son was there and he said the FL fans were very "cocky" before the game and then very quiet after the game!:) Was not expecting the weather to turn this cold so quickly. Got up Wednesday morning and it was in the 70's and dropped to the 40's by mid afternoon! And on another note...I hate this time change! It will take me two weeks to get used to it getting dark so early in the evening. I don't like it!:eek:

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yes, I watched the whole game, livestream on the computer. You can see things better that way, and play computer games during time outs. :) Learned a lot more football rules. The rule book must be a foot thick. Big LSU/Alabama game next week. I don't want us to ever have to play Alabama again. Go LSU!

The internet says Daylight Savings Time is in the summer. I don't get it, because I thought one reason for DST was so the kids didn't have to go to school in the dark. :confused: Anyway, if I had my druthers, I'd like DST all year. My grandmother never could get used to it. She always thought every single day was one hour shorter all winter. You couldn't tell her otherwise. LOL

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

I've found another excuse to waste time---online dominoes, against a robot. ,,I played dominoes with my grandmother from WV a few times as a kid, but we had a 12 spot set and it was complicated... Anyone else play?

dominoes.jpg

I'm starting to get into this game. With only 6 spots, it's more my speed. Can usually beat the robot but discovered his weakness, so I tried one match online with a real live opponent. He (?) didn't want to play a second match. :( ;) :D

As a kid I used them mostly as building blocks and setting them up in a line to knock down. Wonder how long it took to set this one up?

2016 mattresses in 2016

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Pam Sellers

Registered

I like playing solitaire on line! Dominoes takes too much "brain power" for me!:p You go girl!

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

I don't think Florida played all that well. We got one big break on a bad call, but that was it. Their quarterback isn't nearly as good as Jake Fromm, imo.

What did your son have to say about the experience traveling to the Florida game? It's supposed to be the world's biggest cocktail party. Lots of traffic? I always wondered what it would be like.

It became useless trying to hold classes here the Friday before that game, because no one would show up. The university finally surrendered and declared that Friday to be "Fall Break" a few years ago. :D

15. Pam Sellers

Registered

Mike and Brad have been going for several years. I have been there about three times. We (they) always go down around Thursday before the game and stay in a condo, so miss all that traffic. But Brad did say it took them almost two hours to get out of the parking area around the stadium this year.:eek: Our favorite area to stay is Amelia Island. Such a lovely old town. The "energy" down there prior to the game is something else!

Nancy Hart likes this.