Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Von, I can't say for sure I've ever seen a mole hole, only raised trenches across the lawn, and dead bodies due to cats. A mole hole would likely be a den, like @Faye Fox said. I guess there could be multiple entries to just one den.

That linked video above (#1070) shows them digging down right through small pebbles, and they do it so easy and fast, even in red clay. They would probably just make more holes. I suppose if you were as persistent as Faye, they might surrender and decide it's just not worth it and move next door. :D

Have you ever seen any ground squirrels? I don't know of any sure fire way to get rid of ground squirrels either, other than cats, like Ken said. Let us know if you see anything.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Von Jones likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Von Jones My experience is they will just dig around them. All the holes are usually connected with tunnels that are just below the surface. The moles eat the grass roots so you may have a lot of tunnels and they all lead to a main semi vertical shaft that is much deeper. Even packing gravel down the main den shaft won't stop them. You must get some toxic smoke down in the den, but first you must find all the tunnels. Start with the furthermost pile of dirt and dig it out and find the tunnels, usually just inches below the ground. Carefully follow those tunnels (a grubbing hoe works well for this) and uncover them so to drive the rodents in their den. Dens are usually under a building, rock pile, etc. Trace all tunnels until you find the shaft. It may go 5 foot deep. Have a pack of the smoke bombs and a broom handle will work well to shove the LIT sticks into the hole as far as you can go. I recommend at least two sticks. Once the lit sticks are DEEP in the hole and you see smoke coming out then quickly start shoving in some rocks then sand and tamp it hard. Then go inside and treat yourself on your victory. @Nancy Hart There is no surrendering in the moles war handbook, the only way is to kill them. Also there is usually only one entrance to the den.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

The no kill method

[​IMG]

Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart Ha ha then the moles live and I have to clean up cat poo or step in it and get all upset. I was enjoying a cup of hot chocolate while watching your video. Now I have to get up and dump it. I had it up to my mouth with anticipation that the cat would get the mole and then ........ dag nabbit Nancy!

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Faye Fox: You might call moles bottom feeders. They are one of us. Try to be more sympathetic. :D

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart Well you make a good point. I am a bottom feeder. I did work underground for a while driving tunnel as a driller and explosives expert. Also under a bridge welding and under a house doing plumbing and electrical. Dad gummit, Nancy now I am suffering guilt over my executing the dirty rodents.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The holes in my yard are different nothing like what's in the video. Maybe another critter?

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Can you take a photo for us? How big in diameter are the holes? Can you dig down and see if the holes go down or sideways? I hate rodents! Maybe this video will help.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm guessing 2-3 inches. The hole goes down. hole in yard 004.jpg

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks like gophers to me! How many holes are there? You will need help to fight this one if multiple holes. I would have about 4 smoke sticks taped together with fuses twisted gently for easy lighting. You need this at every hole and then a bucket of rocks and soil at every hole. All lit sticks need to be inserted at the same time and holes sealed to hold in the smoke. How far can you poke a stick down that hole?

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

From the video, the hole in Von's picture looks like a vole hole, not a mole hole. (I feel a poem coming on.) That looks just like the holes at my place. I think the big hole is from the skunk digging.

I wish I had a night vision camera positioned out there. OTOH, the number of critters might creep me out. First time I see a coyote in the yard, I'm selling the place.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh no Nancy, you need a coyote to kill the vermin!:)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart @Von Jones I must apologize for being an old Ms. Smarty Pants. I was thinking of the marmot when I was talking rodents. Not sure if gophers, moles, and voles are even considered varmints. Maybe more correctly vermin. Here are the facts ...
    Moles are not a rodent, they are an insectivore related to the bat and shrew family, feeding mainly on earthworms, but they also feed on snails, slugs, millipedes, centipedes, but rarely vegetation. Moles eat live prey and cause little or no damage to perennial landscape plants. They prefer to live in moist shady areas and most often invade from woodlands. They may damage delicate annuals by creating air pockets around roots, and cause extensive cosmetic damage to lawns and other garden areas, but moles are not after plants.

The absents of a dirt mound and the 2" to 3" hole and no horizontal tunneling, sure says gopher. Here is more about gophers.

You probably have a gopher if the dirt mounds when viewed from above are crescent or horseshoe shaped with a plug of dirt between the arms of the crescent. You may also see freshly plugged holes around 3 inches in diameter in your lawn or garden, without dirt mounds. These are dug in places where gophers emerge to feed. Gophers don’t dig surface tunnels like moles. They dig their living chambers and tunnels up to 6 feet underground. Gophers are even more territorial than moles and, other than in mating season, seek exclusive control of large territories that can exceed 2,000 square feet. The network of tunnels within a gopher’s territory can total a mile in length. This means your yard damage is probably from a single gopher.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

November 25 (yesterday)

Skunk update: . The rock had not moved, no new holes, and no coffee smell.

Spent some time on a 50 mile drive trying to determine when the last odd noise in the truck occurs---a jerk/thump. Figured it out around the 35th mile.

When you are cruising along in highest gear (4 speed automatic), and you hit the accelerator fast, there is a half-second delay, the jerk/thump, and then it accelerates. If you gradually push the accelerator, no noise, no problems.

Now one might say, just don't stomp on the accelerator like that.. Fine.. In fact I never do that normally, so it happens otherwise too. I think maybe when the truck is coasting and you hit the accelerator. By the 35th mile, there weren't enough places left to try coasting. Next time. Maybe this is normal and I just never noticed it before.

I guess what worries me is adding transmission fluid stopped the shudder. How long had the fluid been low, and why was it low in the first place? Did I ruin the transmission by not checking routinely? So I'm looking for other signs.

Enough of this talk. I should go cut some hollies, but I'm not in the mood yet.

car noises2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy Hart likes this.