Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a nice picture of kudzu, Von. It looks harmless. It has purple blossoms that smell like grapes. Birds can spread seeds too.

I think there were only about 2 acres combined out there. This was part of the biggest patch in 1982 taken with a cheap camera. It took about 3 years, keeping at it, to get rid of this part, long before goats. I expect to see some pop up here again one day.

[​IMG]

Looks like my neighbor in town has decided to spray his a little. Taken yesterday.

upload_2020-8-11_9-25-23.png

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

8/11/2020

Mower problem solved. My legs are too short. :( You have to push the clutch pedal down farther to engage the mower than to just change gears. I have to sit on the side of the seat to reach all the way down. Then I can't twist back around to reach the lever. If I were to stand up, the tractor would start beeping and shut off. :rolleyes:

Anyway, a video to prove I finally got in the groove. (I call it a mower, but it's really called a bush hog.) Now I want a bigger one. :cool:

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

When you said your legs were too short the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1st one) popped into my head. Where the little boy uses a block of wood to reach the pedals of the getaway truck. :)

Maggie Rose and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Hey, that's not a bad idea. I just need a couple of inches. The problem is, it has to be pushed really hard, until something kind of "clicks" down there. Can't explain it.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

What about a brick the kind without holes? You would have a couple of inches and the weight combined with the pressure from your foot...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Holes would be better. I could run a wire through them to attach it to the pedal. The extra 2" is what matters.

I will go look for a brick with holes. :cool:

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

8/12/2020 (Wednesday)

In the excitement Tuesday I forgot to close the gate at the farm. Any time a gate is left open out there someone will not be able to resist driving through it, so I went back at 7 pm, just to break the routine. I guess it was worth the trip just to learn that the new battery charger did not burn down the garage.

I think the tractor battery is likely shot.

When I left Tuesday it was measuring only 9 volts.
    After 24 hours on the new charger the reading was 12.9 volts.
    But the engine still wouldn't turn over. Just more clicks
    Immediately afterwards the voltage dropped to 12.44

For comparison the truck battery was only 12.5

The maintainer had a red light on, which means it was charging, not maintaining.
    Tractor jumps fine from the truck.
    Driving it 45 minutes didn't help. Could it be the alternator too? What the heck is an alternator.
    So it just doesn't hold a charge.

After I got home I found out I should have waited 30 minutes to measure voltage.

I keep learning these things after I get home, so it takes another day to do it right. It takes so long searching the internet to learn things that it took people a lifetime to acquire from practical experience. And then these people will often argue with each other about it anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

What about the cable wires for the battery? I was told I might need new battery cables.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

I suppose that could be possible too. I think we got this tractor in 2008. It only has 30 hours on it, and it's been kept in a dry garage the whole time.

A Sears repairman came by one time to look at the riding lawnmower, and said he used to work for Ford/New Holland years ago, so I asked him to show me how to get the battery out of the tractor, and he couldn't believe the poor design. You have to disassemble some hoses first, and then you can't just lift it straight up because of the hood.

I just wish it would have waited until winter to conk out. My fault for not maintaining it. I didn't know they made smart chargers until @Trevalius Guyus pointed it out.

Von Jones and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Experimenting with the phone/camera after dark. Picture taken Wednesday night driving back from the cabin to the house.

This picture bothers me. The camera painted the sky blue. It wasn't blue. I think it was grey. I don't like fake pictures. How do you stop it from doing that? There are so many settings, sometimes they get changed just removing the phone from your pocket or touching it the wrong way.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like a question for our tech @Beth Gallagher. :D

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, Von... my limited "expertise" doesn't apply to cameras. :D

Maggie Rose and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I can challenge you on that with just think of it as a software for a camera on a computer. I bet you can think of something.:p

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Well I can't figure it out. There is a night mode on the camera, but I didn't choose that. At least not on purpose. ( It's a Samsung S10e phone )

I remember it happened once before in a day picture. All the colors appeared more intense (e.g., greens were greener) than they really were. I don't like it. :p

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I would think, with my very limited experience, that it very well could be the white balance sitting. Some of our tech people might know or not.