Trump 2024

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, May 11, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I like watching the debates from years ago, such as the Kennedy/Nixon debates. The participants are composed and respectful; no yelling out or talking over each other. They make their point and STFU.

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When the liberal media hosts the debates, you know the moderators will conduct them in a most fair and unbiased way. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Lee Brown

Lee Brown Active Member
    Registered

All this discussion about the "debates", and how they are conducted makes me think Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas are rolling over in their graves. I'm sure they both would shake their heads in disbelief that today's citizenry considers the shouting matches provided to us by today's "news" outlets are debates.

In Canada they have a series called the Munk Debates. I have linked to one from 2018 between Steve Bannon and David Frum that aired on C-SPAN. I thought this would be a good one to share as it somewhat current, and somewhat applicable to this year's election. When our debates our conducted like this was conducted, then maybe there will be something worth watching.

The subject of the debate was Populism, which was defended for by Bannon and argued against by Frum. Whether or not any of you want to watch part or all of it that's your choice of course. It s about hour and a half long. However even watching the first 30 to 40 minutes ought to give everyone a good idea of how debates should be conducted.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453964-1/munk-debate-rise-populism#

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Lee Brown

Lee Brown Active Member
    Registered

No doubt they will give Biden's team an advanced copy of the questions. And probably will allow him to have a cheat sheet like he has had at his "press" conferences (remember how his handlers prepare answers for the approved questions).

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I must say, Bannon was impressive. What composure.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The persecution of Trump
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9HOkAS2jIr8
    Dems won't accept the truth after making up enough stuff to torment Trump. He is the strongest man (for his age) but is beginning to look haggard.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Lee, of course that is how debates should be conducted. (I enjoyed that thoroughly so thanks for the link.) Of course the success of a debate depends upon the participants being adults and respecting the rules of order. Our presidential debates are anything but "presidential," and the moderator is a waste of space since they cannot control the likes of Donald Trump.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just saw that Trump has raised over $200 million since the court decision, and $70 million has come from donors contributing under $100. Reportedly 30% of that is from individuals who have never contributed to a political campaign of any type. Interesting!

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Donations may dry up. I get 4 or so emails every day from Trump, his son, Lara, his organization....It is so annoying and increase with my first donation. It is now filed as spam although I still support him.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd contribute to political campaigns more often if not for the spam it generates. Plus, after the current campaign, the donor lists are shared with every Republican who wants to run for office, so I start getting spam from people I'd never vote for.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Just like most charities, if you give to any political campaign your name and info is passed to others. Once they find someone willing to give money, they pester you mercilessly.

Tom Galty and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Lee Brown

Lee Brown Active Member
    Registered

Political campaigns are not charities. If they were, you would be able to use them as a deduction for tax purposes.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I realize that. I was just drawing a parallel. They treat their donors in the same fashion. I also never understood why the Sierra Club was a charity but the NRA is not.

14. Lee Brown

Lee Brown Active Member
    Registered

That is a strange thing, isn't it. That the Sierra Club is a charity and the NRA isn't. Probably has something to do with which one is favored by the leftists and which one isn't.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you happen to like watching The View, you probably won’t like this or any other video that Damon is on.
    Note: Just punch in Damon on the View or Damon on MSNBC etc.
    Note 2: In some videos, his language is pretty rugged and less than gentlemanly but he does get his point across and in some cases, makes me laugh.

To be sure, if Musk and Ramaswamy’s DNA were somehow joined together, I think something like Damon would be the outcome.

Lee Brown and Mary Stetler like this.