Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I did that already Honey...when I retired to Southern Spain many years ago...but really after a while I was bored stiff..and if I'm going to work, then I want to be earning money, which is why I returned to the UK :)

Honey Gee and Denise Evans like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Registered

we didn't get it in Spain either...but I used to yearn for snow, and village pubs with log fires in the winter ..

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh well, I among a few of us here know so much of your story Denise from the last few years, and you have the best positive attitude I know of anyone in your position...you're an inspiration really ..the glass is almost 1/2 full with you..and I admire that immensely.

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny what others see sometimes. I guess deep-down, that is always the bottom line for me. I know I'm blessed, especially comparatively speaking. I still fight getting into regrets about things I shoulda, coulda, woulda done. Far as I can see, we only get this one shot. I'd like to think maybe we get another, lol:) hugs Holly, denise

Honey Gee and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in the Canaries @Holly Saunders and love it. I worked 42 years in a very pressurized environment so for me retirement is fab. I never liked the snow in the UK the big freeze in the 60's or me off snow for life. I always think you should do what suits you and if you are happy good on you x

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

I know you live in the Canaries..Honey....:D I was younger than you when I bought my house in Spain... I had decided at 50 to retire...in retrospect it was much too young..even though hubs continued to work...so although we still have our home in Southern Spain as well as in the UK..I decided to return to full time work after a few years of sun, sea and sand.. and to do that I had to return to the UK.

If I'd been older...or even the age I am now, I probably would have enjoyed not working and living at our Spanish Casa :)

Honey Gee likes this.
  7. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in the Canaries @Holly Saunders and love it. I worked 42 years in a very pressurized environment so for me retirement is fab. I never liked the snow in the UK the big freeze in the 60's or me off snow for life. I always think you should do what suits you and if you are happy good on you x
    I was 60 so I can understand. I feel you have to fill your days and I love craft plus we swim, cycle and walk. I came under the bracket where my state pension age was moved to 65 and I thought, no way. We both live on private pensions and I have another 3 years to wait for the state one. Hubby longer.

As you know food and costs are so much cheaper here so we took the chance. I did miss work initially or to be fair my work colleagues whom I have known for years but we keep in touch but I have also made new friends so good on all fronts.

I think you must do what is right for you and what makes you happy x

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is an old picture of snow in the winter in North Idaho, back in the early 1950's; so this is a good representation of what I remember seeing outside of our house all winter long. This picture was on one of the north Idaho facebook pages, and is not our house; but the snow load is about the same as we always had in the wintertime.
    IMG_0065.JPG

Holly Saunders and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We've had winters like that in the UP of Michigan. We don't see that sort of snow here in Maine usually, I think because of all of the mountains and hills. The part of the UP that I lived in was fairly flat, so the snowfall was often exacerbated by drifting, and that's something that we don't have here.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the snow, but then I have lived most of my life in Houston, Texas, and I've only seen snow here maybe four times. Most of that melted before it could even cover the ground.

But then there was the year of 1973 or 1974, and we got a good 3 or 4 inches. I was so excited that I got my boys up before daybreak so we could all go out into it before most of our neighbors were awake.

We went around to everyone's driveway and we piled up the snow in each households yard, then we made snowmen out of whatever snow we had collected. As it was still snowing at sunrise, everyone still got to wake up and find their yards covered in a blanket of white.

No one on our street went to work that day, mainly because we stuck little sticks into the base with a note that said, "We only have one day to live. Please don't kill us." :eek: :p :D

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Well, this is the first snow that remained on the ground. There isn't much but it snowed last night and it's cold enough that it hasn't melted today. I don't think we're yet at the point where we're going to be stuck with it for months, though. Looking ahead, I can see that it's supposed to be a few degrees above freezing tomorrow, and we're not scheduled to have any more snow until Friday night, and that should be followed up by a 40 degree Saturday, so we're good.

Ina I. Wonder and Honey Gee like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

It looks very pretty Yvonne but I'm sure it was no fun shovelling all that snow. :eek:

It reminds me of pictures that were sent to us when I was a kid..from our relatives in Toronto every winter. Their house would be up to the second window in Snow sometimes... ..and they would all be there trying to shovel a path to the front door..

13. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Global warm in Ken :p Night :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the snow we got in Louisiana in 2014 at our house. 1625559_10201261852528845_960001419_n.jpg 45120_10201261796247438_1733032144_n.jpg

It also snowed in 2009 but was just enough to put some on the roof and on the top areas of our vehicles. But hey, snow is snow...right? :)

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

This is typical of the snow we get in the south of england

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my road...

[​IMG]

..and this is the road through the woods behind my house where I drive to work every day , sun , rain or snow...

[​IMG]