Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As often occurs, we missed most of the storm. I do have some snow to blow around after I've had a cup of coffee but it's not very bad at all.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Sooner or later, everyone needs help getting out of the snow. From Rogers Pass, British Columbia...

rogers-pass-british-columbia.jpg

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Well my question to you is how is all that new insulation, etc. working out for y'all? Can you tell a difference in your home and on your utility bill? :)

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I get jealous when I see people with lots of snow, I know it's just all in my head and in reality I would hate shoveling and driving in it but for some reason it brings back some fond memories...also some not so fond ones..especially driving.

I saw one day with a little bit of snow in Illinois but not as much as I would have liked, they were warmer some days than we were here in Fresno.

Reality did hit me when some days the temps were in the 20's and I couldn't put on enough clothes to stay warm outside...forget that!! Lol

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here is a pic of the most snow they had...that's Liam the youngest tracing his 7 yr old brothers drawing of iron man. :).

IMG_0312.JPG

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oh no...it's sideways...right?

7. Ken Anderson

lt makes all the difference in the world. We have had a fairly cold and long winter so far, but we have used probably a third of the oil we would have a few years ago. Our electric bill is slightly higher because we also have the heat pump taking up some of the slack, but it hasn't raised our electric bill anywhere's near the amount that it's lowered our oil bill. Mostly, it's the insulation, I think.

I moved from the UP of Michigan to Southern California when I was about eighteen, and from there I moved to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas until I was nearing fifty, then I decided I'd like to move back to cold weather country. Overall, I like it here, although there are plenty of winter mornings when I would deny that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's snowing here ...2 days in a row, but it's wet snow so it's not settling...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it is sideways! :) But I turned my laptop so I could see it the right way.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I guess we're in for another storm here. although the last one pretty much missed us. They are talking about a foot or more of wet, heavy snow, which is the worst kind because it's heavy to shovel and it clogs up the snowblower. But, the weather reports are wrong at least as often as they are right, and they are usually exaggerated, so I am not going to get too excited.

11. Ken Anderson

We are scheduled for a blizzard tonight, beginning sometime after midnight and continuing until late afternoon Monday, and then another large storm on Thursday.

But they lie all the time, so I don't know. We were supposed to have snow at noon, which would turn into a blizzard (adding wind, I think) at midnight, but it's 2:30 now and it hasn't snowed yet so maybe the blizzard will be a lie too.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was just reading what the admin on my private forum who lives in Maine also was saying and he said they got some flurries yesterday and are expecting a blizzard later.

He likes to go off wondering and pondering and he's waiting for the weather to get better. He's from Limestone, Maine but I'm not exactly sure if he still lives there or elsewhere in Maine.

13. Ken Anderson

Southern and western Maine is getting hit pretty hard right now, but still nothing here.

14. Ken Anderson

Limestone is a small town in northern Maine, east and a little south of our camp, but north and a little east of where I live in Millinocket.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Some places are like that. I live in an area of Fresno that is always sunnier than the other parts and doesn't seem to get too foggy. I'll leave my house and think it's a nice sunny day and then I start driving and only a mile or two and it's dense fog.