Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I told you we threw that weather over the fence....

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

She is still in a cold climate. And she likes cold weather, as I said, I couldn't take it now. Anyway, I like watching her and her husband. beats most movies today.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Oh, I'm going to pretend like I know what your saying while I back out of this and go back to the snowbirds subject.:)

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We did get a crapload of snow today, and I think it's still snowing, but it was so light that if I owned a leafblower, I could have cleared the driveway and walkway with that. It was the opposite of our last snow; a shovelful weighed nothing.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I found this Accuweather article interesting. Your light snow was likely "20-to-1" snow, meaning there is so little moisture to it you get 20" of snow from 1" of water. I bolded the paragraph that explains light snow.

Snow ratio explained:
    The science behind the weight and amount of snow

Ever wonder why some snow piles up fast or why some snow is light and fluffy and other snow is heavy and wet? Ultimately, how quickly the snow piles up and the weight of the snow have a lot to do with the snow-to-water ratio.

The snow-to-water ratio is basically the amount of snow that is produced by 1 inch of water. A typical storm during the winter may have a snow-to-water ratio close to 10-to-1. In this case, 10 inches of snow melted down would contain about 1 inch of water, 5 inches of snow would yield half an inch of water, 2 inches of snow would produce 0.20 of an inch of water and so on.

While the 10-to-1 ratio is about average, most often the snow-to-water ratio varies greatly from one storm to another. In addition to the track of the storm, determining the snow ratio is crucial for predicting how much snow will fall.

How cold the air is through the different layers of the atmosphere determines how much snow melts on the way down. Also, how much moisture is available greatly determines the amount of air spaces in the snowflakes and how quickly these snowflakes will pile up on each other when reaching the ground.

Storms that occur during very cold weather in the middle of the winter and originate from western Canada, such as from an Alberta Clipper, may bring a few inches of snow from a mere few tenths of an inch of water. Often there is little moisture available to a storm originating far from sources of water so that a mere 0.1 of an inch of water may bring 2 inches of snow. This is a 20-to-1 ratio. Snowfall of this nature can be easily swept away with a broom or blown off a vehicle with a leaf blower.

Some of the biggest snowstorms on record have a great amount of both moisture and cold air available. Storms such as a nor'easter may have a snow-to-water ratio of 15-to-1. One to 2 inches of water may bring 15 to 30 inches of snow. In this case, well-formed snowflakes in the clouds may survive the trip to the ground with minimal damage and can pile up fast. The snow-to-water ratio approached 15-to-1 in parts of the central Appalachians during the Blizzard of '93.

Complicating matters in the spring, especially in warm, urban areas, is how much snow will melt as it falls on roads. During the springtime, much more moisture is usually available to storms, but the temperature is higher. Large snowflakes may partially melt on the way to the ground or the snow may melt on contact with warm surfaces.

It is not uncommon for spring snowstorms to have a 5-to-1 ratio or lower. Snowfall of this nature is heavy, slushy and difficult to shovel. This type of snow tends to accumulate unevenly and clings to trees and power lines. The weight of the snow may cause trees to fall and trigger power outages. Skiers sometimes refer to spring snow or wet snow as "mashed potato snow." Heavy, wet snow usually makes for slow skiing conditions.

In addition to temperature and moisture, strong winds may also result in a low snow ratio. During strong winds and a snowfall, the snowflakes are mangled on their way to the ground. The snow tends to become more granular in nature with only little air space left as the snow accumulates on the ground.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we lived in Colorado twice, we got a snowstorm on Mother's Day Weekend!

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We, too, have had Mother's Day snowstorms but they are rare.

10. John Brunner

Mother's Day is the "last possible frost date" for my region of the country. If people observed that, sales at my friend's greenhouse would be a third of what that actually are.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Why?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Because every year there is a slug of folks who buy plants this time of year, they die in a frost, they replace the plants, they die in another frost, then they wait until after Mother's Day.

Perhaps 1/3 is an exaggeration, but he gets a number of customers replacing their dead plants. I was there yesterday and there were people buying plants. It's OK if they don't put them out yet, but one woman was asking if she could plant her tomatoes now and cover them if it gets chilly.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I get it now. We have the same thing. There are people asking my wife if they can put their plants out side now even here. We make money the same way--foolish people with no patience.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

He's been in business since '75 and had his best years during COVID. All those newbees who won't take advice.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

And many of the box stores were closed during Covid at least here. Our biggest sales so far were during the early Covid period. The upside is that it made many realize how fragile things really are.

John Brunner likes this.