Ukraine

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ed Wilson, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only things I have read about it is that the attack was over a month ago on March 10th.
    Even so, with as much money as the American taxpayer has had to put out, we should be better informed of how that war is going.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, it was some time ago, but apparently the news is just leaking out. It was supposedly in retaliation for some terrorist attack on a civilian village in Russia carried out by the Ukraine military with the cooperation of NATO. I wonder if the retaliation for the Nord Stream Pipeline sabotage has been carried out and we don't know about it, or if it is yet to come. We have a great deal of anti-submarine resources in the North Sea and Baltic Sea at the moment tracking something that Russia is doing.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Oh my! I just saw that Zelenskyy and Xi had a reported 2-hour phone call. Some reports are that China is trying to get Ukraine into peace negotiations with Russia, and if they do, China will make massive investments in Ukraine and enrich the oligarchs there to the extent that would even make the Biden family envious. There are even some reports that China is recruiting Ukraine to become a BRICS nation! Wouldn't that be the biggest irony in a stellar Biden administration record that, after we nearly bankrupt ourselves pumping money into Ukraine, they turn their backs on us and become partners with China. Of course, there is also the abandonment of nearly 20,000 American civilians in Sudan. China wants the food and resources of Ukraine, as well as the contents of our secret bioweapons labs there.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Nato is sending Ukraine its 'best' main battle tanks - Abrams' and Leopards. They are stripped of any technology that we don't want the Russians to capture and so are effectively crippled. Along with worn-out or outmoded artillery and such we are setting up the Ukrainian army for slaughter. In our proxy war with Russia we will fight to the last Ukrainian, whether they be too young, too old, female, poorly trained or whatever..

There are already many US, UK and EU troops already on the ground there - training recruits and fighting on the front lines. There seems no hesitation for further escalation on the part of Ukraine's allies. Nuclear war anyone?

https://www.ukcolumn.org/video/uk-column-news-10th-may-2023

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

“For Hobbes, the state of nature is characterized by the “war of every man against every man,” a constant and violent condition of competition in which each individual has a natural right to everything, regardless of the interests of others. Existence in the state of nature is, as Hobbes famously states, “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” The only laws that exist in the state of nature (the laws of nature) are not covenants forged between people but principles based on self-preservation. What Hobbes calls the first law of nature, for instance, is…that every man ought to endeavor peace, as far as he has hope of obtaining it; and when he cannot obtain it, that he may seek and use all helps and advantages of war.”

https://www.britannica.com/topic/state-of-nature-political-theory

6. Dwight Ward

Registered

Wasn't there something about 'red in tooth and claw'? It's been a while but I remember being repulsed by Thomas Hobbes' pessimistic slant on man in a state of 'nature'. Obviously civilization allows other scenarios but, in my opinion, the original state of nature may also offer better possibilities than 'nasty, brutish and short'.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Before Europeans this continent was inhabited by millions of indigenous people--nations--Who did not subsist but flourished.
    Granted, not with today's technology but with cleverness and natural conservation.
    Indians were not saints. On digs on the plains, 'garbage' piles were found to have built up around the backs of dwellings. But they made good use of what was available. The introduction of the technology of the horse became an exceptional adaptation.
    Hundreds of nations were destroyed by the European conquerors.
    Sadly a quick change may blindside humanity, especially those without knowledge of basic survival skills, who would have nothing but nasty and brutish to fall back on.

8. Dwight Ward

Registered

In other words, those who can't live off the land and in harmony with the earth must live off others as predators, if I get what you're saying. Great point. Also, it implies that my point about possibilities other than a nasty and brutish life have been proven out.

Smart women are scary, Mary. There are way too many of them on this site. Stop scaring me, okay?

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

In theory, we can all live together in harmony. We can trade and work and socialize. But in a societal collapse, what are we to do. And when you come to everyone taking advantage, do you stand against all?
    I am going off on my own and educating who I can.
    I remember a WWII movie of Christmas where both German and US troops celebrated together, such as it was. I believe both sides had good in them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Maybe that was WWI @Mary Stetler. There was a famous Christmas truce in that war and the leaders hated it and made sure it only happened once.

11. Dwight Ward

Registered

I wasn't aware that such a spontaneous armistice happened in WW2 also but it definitely happened in WW1 with the French and Germans I don't think either side's officer corp approved.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Don Alaska caught the mistake of WW2. It was WW1

Dwight Ward and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Registered

That Don Alaska guy is a busybody. Does SOC allow for impeachment?

Btw, I decided on my avatar one day when I was on a ladder propped against the gable of a house while I was eating a Clark bar. I love it when things fall together.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

2016 - Volodymyr Zelenskyy plays piano with penis

(Originally I said 'his penis', then decided it was unlikely he would be playing with someone else's.)

Instead of tickling the ivories should we say prickling the ivories?

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

Don Alaska likes this.