United States Foreign Aid

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Where is our money going? Here is a map showing where US foreign aid money is going, and which departments they're coming from. How many of these countries are truly our friends?

If the US were in serious trouble, which of these countries would come to our aid? As I see it, of the three countries most likely to come to our aid (although they complain about us a lot), two of the three (Australia and the United Kingdom) are receiving no US aid, the third being Canada, which does receive aid. New Zealand could probably be added here, too.

Of the countries that we give the most foreign aid to, except perhaps for Israel, most of them would likely oppose us in a conflict.

Interestingly, we're giving nearly $120 Million to Russia and more than $50 Million to China. If we are in debt to China, why aren't we making payments instead of sending them foreign aid?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

:eek:

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It might be interesting to see how such aid to countries which obviously do not need it was first implemented and why it has not been rescinded since then.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Once the government starts doing something they never stop. Even laws with subset provisions somehow escape the cleaver.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

all of this drives me....mad...

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Charity begins at home. Medicare for all? While I'm a conservative and voted for Trump, Bernie has at least one good idea. My nephew was telling me about a medical bill he can't afford to pay.

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Medicare for All means crappy care for everyone. Except for the elite and our elected officials, like Bernie, of course. They will have actual medical plans.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, I did a quick skim over a few articles on the subject and some of it is pretty debatable as to whether it should be continued in particular, our aid to China.

The majority of the argument stems from the fact that China has it’s own international/ intercontinental aid programs with the largest share going to Africa. They had some 1100 or so projects ear marked for Africa’s development and infrastructure with around 545 of them completed or nearly completed.
    So the question still stands; why are we spending taxpayer money on China when they are spending billions of their own money for foreign aid?

To summarize it in short, we do not actually give China anything, or so it is claimed. Our foreign aid money goes to independent agencies such as “USAID” which supposedly has no attachment to the Chinese government itself. Each agency that we donate to has it’s own agenda with projects spanning from air pollution to humanitarian aid to human rights issues.

Now, Xi Jinping, the President of the People’s Republic of China, is a pretty smart cookie especially when it comes to Chinese politics. Just like the U.S. or any other major country, there’s a lot of friction between departments and ministries when it comes to how money should be spent and on what issues. One agency or department wants money for this and that and another ministry says no that the project will not work and wants the money for something else. Same old crap it seems that we’ve become used to but with a twist.
    Xi watches what our agencies are doing in their country and how the money is spent as a sort of trial run so to speak. If a project is successful then he can go such and such a Chinese government department and say “see, it works” and then go from there. If the project seems to be one of those “good money spent after the bad” then he is still the winner for not getting involved with said project whilst allowing our agencies to do whatever it is they do.
    In other words, this country supplies the lab, lab rats and the technicians to perform the experiments and if they are successful, the Chinese government will take over placing yet another feather in their already well endowed mattress of economic successes.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

If Congress would listen to Trump and decree that health insurance companies become competative and cross state lines once again, it would change things a bit. Medicare would go back to being for seniors only. There really is a sane plan, but too lengthy to discuss here. It would work if Congress would listen. My own Representative won't pay a heed, even though several of us have contacted her.

10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't understand the whole financial aid thing either. I could see it if an ally country was at war or at risk, but the rest of it feels like a total waste. It's not as though China or Russia are going to think we are great for helping out. They just think we are stupid. That money could certainly be used towards some overhaul of our own medical problems. Not free medical for only lower income people, but affordable medical care for all people regardless of age or even income. What Americans pay for medical insurance is ridiculous compared to other western countries.

Lois Winters likes this.