Using A Spiralizer, Who Has One Of These?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't bought a spiralizer yet but wanted to make some zucchini spaghetti. So I used 4 regular size and cut them into really thin pieces. Cooked them and surprisingly didn't overcook them. I also cooked a decent sized broccoli crown and mixed them in with the heated spaghetti sauce. I added nutritional yeast and to my surprise it wasn't watery at all. I was afraid the zucchini would make it watery but I allowed it to drain in the colander for a while. Anyway, I really don't miss the white flour pasta at all and I plan to do this again.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been using the spiralizer, and I really like it. It is simple to use, and makes such pretty spiralized veggies. I think it would be great for making apples for apple pie or apple cobbler, too; but I have not tried any fruits yet.
    I spiralized up some onion and it is perfect for sandwiches, stir fry, tacos, pizza, or just about anything where you want to add thinly sliced onions.

Tonight, I spiralized up one of those long English cucumbers and some onion, and am making a cucumber salad for dinner. It will have some garbanzo beans, some frozen veggies, and some spiral macaroni , and can be eaten over lettuce or just plain in a bowl without greens.

There is an electric one on Amazon for under $10, and I am seriously thinking that I NEED that gadget to add to my collection of gadgets.....
    Here is my spiralized onions........aren’t they pretty ?
    04D1D64E-519A-4E22-AC1C-DA36E876D32F.jpeg

Bess Barber and Shirley Martin like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My son told me yesterday that they spiralize zucchini and use it with spaghetti sauce instead of spaghetti. He says it's good.

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Here is a short video that shows a spiralizer, and some of the things that you can do with one. Mine does not have as many different blades as this model; but it essentially operates the same way.
    The electrical ones are more like a food processor, in that you push the vegetable down the top chute, and it ends up in a catch-bin underneath. You can only use smaller veggies, like zucchini’s or cucumbers with the electric ones, unless you trim them to fit into the chute.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yesterday, we got a bunch of nice zucchini, and I decided to spiralize them, or at least some of them. I haven’t used the spralizer since last summer when we had all of the fresh squash, and a trip through the storage area only turned up the mandolin slicer. (I don’t know why I got that because I never use it , but I guess that I didn’t know that until I bought it.)
    Anyway, I did find the little hand-held spiralizer and spiralized one of the zucchini.
    I asked Bobby to help me look for the larger one, and we still didn’t find it; so I decided to look on Amazon and see about getting one of the electric ones instead.
    I enjoyed the spiralizing last year and also liked using the veggies that way; so I decided that one that can sit on my countertop and not get lost seemed like a good plan.

After looking at what was available and watching a few YouTube videos, I decided that the Veggie Bullet (made by Nutri Bullet) was far and away the best one, but also the most expensive, since the new ones are well over $100.
    Amazon had one of the refurbished ones for $59, and the cheaper models of spiralizer are somewhere between $29-$49; so I believe that it was worth the extra money to have the Veggie Bullet.
    I watched their promotional video, and it does do all kinds of great things with veggies, above and beyond just making zucchini noodles, and I think that this is something that I will use a lot once it arrives.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh, I never knew they even existed. Of course I don 't spend much time in the kitchen except to do the dishes.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

We had that plastic spiralizer Got frustrated with it not locking down onto the counter. That and sizing veggies to fit thru the blade arrangement.

Recently replaced it with the veggie bullet. Bought it online thru Walmart at about 1/2 the price at Amazon. Was also able to get rid of the veggie matic & mandoline for veggie prep.

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

My son and DIL have a Paderno spiralizer. They use it a lot. I got him to spiralize a zucchini for me last week. I was so pleased with it that I asked her to order me one. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the looks of it. It can make curly fries. I think that's the first thing I'm going to try.

@Yvonne Smith , have you made curly fries with yours?

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

It doesn’t get here until Sunday, so I haven’t gotten to do anything except watch the tutorial videos from the Veggie Bullet, so far. With the hand held crank one, I just made veggies. We don’t do much deep frying, so never tried making fries, but I bet it will make great curly fries !

I looked on Amazon at the Padermo, and the one with the crank handle looks just about like the one that I have and can’t find. When I do find it, I am going to keep it, too, because it can take larger items than the Veggie Bullet, because things have to fit down into the feeder shaft on the Veggie Bullet, and not on the hand crank spiralizer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Shirley Martin

Registered

I bought one at Walmart called a veggimatic or something like that. It left a core as big as my little finger that would have been wasted. I couldn't see wasting that much vegetable every time I used it so I took it back. The Paderno spiralizer uses the whole vegetable, no waste.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Having one of these would disrupt my amazing skill at putting the vegetable steamer bag into the microwave. :p

download (36).jpeg

12. Yvonne Smith

My Veggie Bullet arrived yesterday, so I spent some time reading the instructions that came with with it, and then set it up and tried using it for the first time.
    I spiralized another zucchini squash (which I ate later along with an egg),and then I tried the slicer attachment, and made sliced cucumber, onions,and several other vegetables.
    I tried the sliced lettuce, but the results were more like the shredded lettuce that comes with a Taco than how it looks when I chop my romaine up for salads, so I will probably stick to chopping the lettuce by hand.
    Over all, I really like the Veggie Bullet, and I think that it is something that I will get a lot of good use from.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an electric spiralizer that I bought a couple of years ago. I think I used it one time and it has been banned to the Shelf for Useless Devices. :D It takes longer to clean it than I'm willing to commit.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

That is the exact same reason I never end up using a whole variety of kitchen appliances available thru the years. I'm not too lazy to wash it, many can go in dishwasher, it's just too annoying to take it all apart.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

I guess I just LOVE gadgets ! I enjoy using them, and don’t mind taking them apart and cleaning up afterwards. as long as they are not confusing to assemble or disassemble, that is. I am mechanically defunct, and can’t even load staples in to the stapler.
    So the Veggie Bullet has taken its place on my kitchen counter along with the Nutri-Ninja blender and the Ninja food processor. I am actually thinking that the Veggie Bullet can replace most of what I have been using the food processor for, so it can probably go in the back room on a shelf , at least for the time being.