Uti's Why And What To Do

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh I've been supplementing LONG before goggle....Listen to the docs????????????, they won't talk about prevention and use of Vit C, they need US to be SICKKKKKK.

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in my early 20s then and wasn't very health conscious. It was but I never wanted to experience a UTI again or not to soon.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

UTI or prostatitis? The E coli infection sounds like prostatitis, and is much hard to get rid of than the standard UTI. I lot of UTIs in women ore from E coli, but seldom do they occur in men unless they are not straight. Prostatitis, however, for some reason is commonly caused by E coli. Don't know why. The tissue of the prostate is infected/inflamed, and an antibiotic that penetrate tissues is the most common remedy. Cipro was the first choice, but is now used less due to issues with ligaments and tendons. Do you remember what you were given that fixed the issue @Bobby Cole ?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I really can’t remember what they gave me but when I looked both of the antibiotics up, they were specific to UTI’s as was the pain killer.

As far as prostatitis goes, I too thought that was the real culprit but the “in house” tests indicated, as one NP observed whilst looking at one of them, it was “Really bad” and yes, a UTI.
    It was the second doctor I had who said it came from e-coli in the gut so all I could do was nod my head and absorb the information because frankly, I just wanted medications that would handle the problem.

Now, I can easily understand how gay males are more susceptible to such things which throws me because I don’t do kinky and cruising for guys is one of a couple things I have never tried nor have even an inkling to do so.
    If I were a braggart with an inclination for exaggeration, I might say that a certain appendage got accidentally exposed to dirty commode water but naw…..that ain’t me.

It’s a mystery but one I never want to come across again.

edit in answer to @Don Alaska:
    One antibiotic was a black and white capsule.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A couple of weeks ago, I had my regular every 6-months labs (blood/urine) done at local VA Clinic. I got a call from them telling me that my PSA was 18 and asking me if I have any symptoms of UTI. I did not. I had a consultation with my NP about my labs and was still given a UTI prescription antibiotic to be taken twice a day for 7 days. It was Cephalexin 500MG. I ended the 7-days last Sunday July 28th. My NP told me to wait a week or two and then have another lab/blood done. That way the antibiotic would be cleared out of my system. If my lab is still showing high on PSA, she will send me to see a Urologist for possible tests.

However (big word LOL), now, after finishing the antibiotic, when I get up in the AM, I have somewhat of a pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. It doesn't last long, but I feel it. I had a pain there before, but when we changed coffee, the pain went away. So, I have no idea what is going on in that area of my abdomen! What's so odd, when I was called about my PSA lab, I had no pain, but after taking the antibiotic, I now do????

I'm also now drinking 50% Less (sugar) Cranberry Juice each day and my wife is as well. She just got an antibiotic from her doctor for a UTI she has/had.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know that UTIs can affect PSA levels, but have no idea about the pain in your abdomen. Sometimes kidney stones can cause a pain in the abdomen, but they have nothing to do with your PSA levels. Hopefully the antibiotic clears up an infection that's causing the PSA issue, and the pain in your side goes away on its own.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When being questioned by the female physician about my UTI case, she asked me if I was sexually active.
    Note: I mean, waddaya tell a woman half my age when she asks that?

My ego now unburdened by the passage of time answer was: Does dreaming about it count?

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sexual activity can affect a man's PSA levels in the short-term.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

A PSA of 18 is certainly concerning @Cody Fousnaugh . It wouldn't be a bad idea to consult a urologist no matter what the VA says. Do they have a Men's Health Fair there? You could perhaps request a Urology consult from the VA. I don't know how that works in your area, but most of the time, if a reasonable request is made, it is allowed here.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I have both VA Medical and Medicare A/B a Supplement and a drug plan. I only use the VA for lab consultations and prescriptions. Not for hospital stay/care, being that the VA Hospital here is way up north of us. Sort of odd, but I guess it's entirely up to a doctor if they have a blood lab analyzed for PSA. The last time I had that done, and didn't even know it, was in 2021, and it was fine then. I did read that PSA lab was stopped late in 2021, after I had mine, due to too much inaccuracy in the number.

However, depending, or not depending, on what my VA PN tells me, I will see an out-of-VA Urologist. My wife's doctor gave me a recommendation.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I am just saying that any PSA over 10 needs to be evaluated. If it is just prostatitis, and I hope it is, then all is well, but if it were me, I would call a urologist. Any urine culture done?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Urine culture? Well, if that mean peeing into a cup for analyzing, yes.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It is not just a urinalysis, it is a test for bacteria in the urine. Prostatitis is often caused by E. coli bacteria but can be caused by other organisms as well. You will be told to clean yourself and catch urine midstream. They don't want the beginning of the stream as it may be contaminated. Bacteria for prostatitis is often missed in a urinalysis because it is not a sensitive test for bugs although some will show up in a regular UTI. Usually white blood cells are also present in a regular UTI but not necessarily in prostatitis.

Hopefully your issue will be fixed with the antibiotics as you don't seem to want to pursue other causes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I'll just have to wait and see what my NP (Nurse Practitioner) tells me, after I do my next lab. If she has me see a Urologist, then I'll do that. If not, I'll figure out what to do then.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

About 3 weeks ago went to the clinic here and came up UTI. Have not had one since 1982 at least .
    About 3 years ago the old bladder took a tumble down me tunnel and well have been wearing a ring ever since.
    I only mention that because I feel like it was the culprit. I have not used since then, even tho I am meticulous cleaning it and myself. I had to have 2 rounds of Keflix before it went away..and yes E coli was an issue.
    Then went to gym/ob - saw PA and she was very through and way too informative as to my alternatives for correcting the dropped bladder. I guess I will suffer through and according to PA address UTI as am certain to have again,
    I was given two options after the mention of the first one- she lost me.
    I am going to be 76 next week and I am partial to me urine disposal site- sewing shut- - I am going to pass.:eek: