Uti's Why And What To Do

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A Biblical phrase comes to mind as in:
    “ASK and ye shall receive”.
    In my world, if a doctor isn’t going to get a cut of the pie, they won’t order the pie.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Now I'm wondering if my problem could be my liver. I sometimes will get a pain in that area and so does my wife. I take one or two Tylenol 8 Hour Arthritis every day for my left shoulder osteoarthritis pain and I just read that that can affect the liver. She may (may) take Tylenol during the week to help her sleep. And, our (almost) daily diarrhea can be caused from the Metformin we take.

However, first things first. Lower the PSA or know what going on by doing tests/taking a scan.

3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Milk Thistle is a support to liver etc, I've been taking it for 20 or more years....No UTI's here...a friend who is gone now, had a long history of UTI's and she found UT Answer to work good for her.... I think I have the name correct.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of our acquaintances has been hospitalized with Strep bovis group UTI. Has anyone here had any experience with this? The bug is associated with colon cancer and endocarditis.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska - no never heard of this. Does not sound good at all.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I hadn't heard of it either. Our acquaintance was discharged when she stopped vomiting enough to keep down food. She is on an antibiotic but I don't know which. Apparently the organism is susceptible to most, but then so is Strep pneumoniae and it kills thousands every year. I found it interesting that it was associated with other much more serious diseases. From what I read, the biggest danger from this bug is sepsis.

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh any word on your PSA and abdominal pain? I am concerned about you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The VA Hospital, which is 33 miles north of us, called yesterday and told me that the earliest date to see a Urologist would be in January 2025. First, we are going to drive 33 miles for me to see one. It seem sort of weird that with my PSA number of 18, which is considered "high", apparently isn't that serious. I also read, online, that a high PSA number is not ("not") dangerous at all.

I'm trying, note, I did say "trying", to get an appointment with a Urologist that is 8 miles from us. The Urology was open yesterday (Monday), but nobody would answer after waiting for some 15 minutes. I even sent them an Appointment Request and still haven't heard from them.

I did send my NP (Nurse Practitioner) a private message at the VA this morning telling her what the hospital told me, concerning the January 2025 Appointment. I told her wife and I were sort of stunned, but that just may be the way it is here whether it's the VA or Medicare Urologist.

Beginning to sound like the only way I will be seen is to end up going to a local ER or Urgent Care?

Thoughts?

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I don't think I would trust Doctor Google on the validity of the PSA test. While a high PSA value it not necessarily indicative of cancer, a PSA value of 18 is cause for concern. It sounds as though your NP believes your high PSA is due to prostatitis (UTI), but it still needs to be checked out.

Here is what the Cleveland Clinic has to say about elevated PSA values.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/15282-elevated-psa-prostate-specific-antigen-level

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, meant to say "we are NOT going to drive 33 miles for me to see one".

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My NP has already given me an antibiotic to take for 7 days, of which I did. I went into the clinic last Tuesday for another blood/urine lab. Read my VA online report two days later and it states my PSA was still at 18. Even with the milage to the VA Hospital, which we won't drive, I can't get an appointment there with a Urologist until January 2025. Now I'm trying to get an appointment with a Urologist thru Medicare. Sent one Urology Office a message requesting an appointment, but haven't heard back yet. Calling them was a waste of time a well. If we can't get ahold of them, we will go to their office before they close, during the week, and see about an appointment.

However, just what do I do if I can't get an appointment until January 2025 with any Urologist? Just continue to drink 50% less sugar Cranberry Juice and taking a Biotic daily in the AM. Just wondering, it there that many men and women who want to see a Urologist???

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From the web:

>PSA levels between 4.0 and 10.0 ng/mL might suggest the possibility of prostate cancer (in about 25 percent of cases) or BPH.
    >The PSA levels above 10.0 ng/mL should be urgently discussed with your doctor because these are associated with a 50 percent chance of having prostate cancer.

Even if it is cancer, "Watchful Waiting" is often the course of action, especially for men our age.

I drive 40 miles to the location my urologist works out of at least once a month, and 50 miles to their main office if I have a catheter crisis or I need a CT scan or other major tests. I don't have worlds to conquer, but I'm not ready to shuffle off of this mortal coil...and I don't have a wife to worry about leaving behind.

edit to add: This bladder issue is the only significant medical issue I have [knock on wood.] I agree with you, seeing a urologist is about the lowest thing on my list of desired activities. And there are some you gotta fight with to get proper care. But it's the only reason I'm still around today. I know that Ken has been down the path of prostate cancer, and I believe that was decades ago.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, John, since I have Medicare A/B and a Medicare Supplement, I don't have to travel 33 miles to see a VA Urologist. My point is, since I have both VA and Medicare, I can use my Medicare. I haven't been to a VA Hospital for any kind of treatment since 1997, however I do use a VA Clinic to have labs done and a consultation with a VA physician about the lab results.

And, on top of that, waiting until January 2025 to see a Urologist seems to be insane to me, but due to the population here, that just may happen.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I hate to keep bugging you, but I suspect your NP doesn't know what she is doing with regard to prostatitis. Seven days is never enough even for the simplest of prostate infections. I am not even sure that whatever antibiotic you were given was the best choice. Ciprofloxacin was the antibiotic of choice once as it penetrates the tissues better, but that may have changed. You are being treated as if you had a "regular" UTI, which prostatitis is not. I am not even sure that prostatitis alone will boost your PSA to 18. If you go to a walk-in clinic and get a referral to a urologist, it may speed the process up a bit.

Here is more from the Cleveland Clinic:

How are bacterial forms of prostatitis treated?
    Antibiotics can kill bacteria that cause bacterial types of prostatitis. People with acute bacterial prostatitis may need 14 to 30 days of antibiotics. Some people need antibiotics through an IV (into your vein) in a hospital. Surgery to drain an abscess on your prostate may be necessary, but this is rare.

Treating chronic bacterial prostatitis is more challenging. Most people need between four and 12 weeks of antibiotics. If this approach doesn’t work and your symptoms come back, your provider may prescribe a low-dose antibiotic to prevent recurrent infection.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know it's always easy to tell other people what to do. I'm trying to not do that to you. If it were me, I would be tempted to just show up to a urologist's office and explain to the receptions what's going on (the PSA of 18, only a week of antibiotics) and tell him/her that if there's something bad going on, waiting 5 months might make addressing it difficult. See what they can do or who they can refer you to. If that does not work, try it again with a different urologist.

I hate to tell you the things I had to do to get the care I needed. I am not like that. I am not aggressive. But dammit there has to be a minimum standard of care, and the circumstances justify the means.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.