Uti's Why And What To Do

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh perhaps if you called a urologist's office and asked to talk with a nurse it could speed things. In my experience, urology nurses are pretty sharp and know what these numbers mean and why you could be concerned. Like @John Brunner, I don't like to tell people what to do, but I truly am concerned. Relate to the nurse about the antibiotic and the repeat PSA that remained at 18. If you can't see a physician, perhaps you can see a mid-level (PA or NP) well versed in prostate issues. If they see you and still tell you there is nothing to be concerned about, I will rest easier.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If all else fails, I'd go to the ER.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

An expensive solution, but, as you say, if all else fails....

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Contacted my VA NP yesterday and having her give me another referral to the Urology Dept. at the VA Hospital. When they call, I will get the information from them about a Community Care (VA paid) Urologist that is 15 miles from me, not 33, like the VA Hospital is. If, by chance, I can't get an appointment to see a Urologist before January 2025, I will have to go to an ER or Urgent Care facility. That is, if the pain in my stomach area gets any worse. Currently the pain is very little and, to me, useless going to an ER or Urgent Care.

Wish I could say more, or know more, but I can't.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I am glad things are getting done @Cody Fousnaugh. Try t make sure that the VA bills your private insurance for any co=pay. Community Care is a trap I fell into, and the VA told me they were hacked and supposedly couldn't bill for the co-pay, which is bull. They cannot bill Medicare but they can bill private insurance.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What wife and I would really like to know is: Since I was told by the Urology Dept., at the VA Hospital, that I couldn't get an appointment to see a Urologist there until January 2025, can, whatever I have wrong (PSA number) be that bad? I know what the number says (18), but just how bad can that be if I can't see a Urologist until next January?

Then, when I'm finally able to see one, will they tell me, "You waited too long to have this checked out." Then, I would have to tell the Urologist, "What do you mean "me"? I couldn't get an appointment any sooner!"

I do know that the population of an area can have a lot to do with medical appointments. Where we lived before, Loveland, Colorado, the population was 78,000 and, where we live now, the population is over 300,000. Add that 300,000 onto the Las Vegas population of over 3 million and...............

IOW, some things in life, especially for older seniors, are ridiculous!

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Exactly what can happen @Cody Fousnaugh. The 18 PSA might turn out to be of no consequence, but it definitely sends up flags and needs to be investigated, not just treated with a week of antibiotics and written off. I don't know if you have other symptoms, and that probably shouldn't be discussed in an open forum. All I am saying is that you need to be seen by someone competent in this field. As you saw in the Cleveland Clinic piece I posted, it raises your chance of bad stuff by 50%. That means half the time it is benign. You just want to make sure you are not in the bad half, and, if you are, you need to be treated appropriately.

John Brunner and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Don Alaska, here's an update: Was (finally) able to get ahold of a Urology Office that is somewhat close to us. Actually, 15 miles is much better than 33 miles (VA Hospital). Apparently, due to being in New Patient status, the closet date I could get in is November 6th. Better than in January, that the Urology Dept. told me on the phone from the VA Hospital.

I will still wait for the call from the VA Hospital and ask them about the Community Care Urology and see if they have a closer available date for an appointment. If not, I will keep the November 6th one.

At least now I have an appointment made and it's not in January 2025!

My wife was wondering this: Does a high PSA number have anything to do with appendix? Possibly appendicitis? I thought having appendicitis was pretty painful. I just don't have that kind of pain. Actually, Don, as I write this, I have absolutely no pain in any part of my lower abdomen at all. Then again, I took a Tramadol 50mg this AM for my shoulder pain that came from a rotator cuff surgery in 2015. I have osteoarthritis in both shoulders, from rotator cuff surgery in each one. Left shoulder is definitely worse with pain.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Nope, @Cody Fousnaugh PSA has nothing to do with the appendix. It can be falsely elevated by a few other things, but it is mostly specific to the prostate. The Tramadol you take can, however mask pain in other parts of your body. Are you familiar with the "Rebound Test" for appendicitis? Press with your fingers into the right side of the abdomen. It may hurt a little, but when you release the pressure suddenly, you shouldn't feel major discomfort. If you feel a sharp pain when you release pressure, it might be your appendix and should be reviewed by a provider. Lots of stuff can cause abdominal pain. No pain in the lower abdomen, but does that mean there is pain in the upper abdomen? Lots of causes there, but also not related to the PSA. You haven't mentioned fever either, so I assume there is none.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

As for a fever, absolutely none! Actually, Don, the light pain started in my stomach after the NP gave me an antibiotic to take for 7 days. When I first got a call from my NP nurse about my PSA lab, she asked me about pain and any other symptoms. I told her I had none. So, the NP figured I had a UTI and gave me the antibiotic prescription (Cephalexin 500mg) to be taken twice a day for 7 days. It was after I finished that prescription that I started get some light pain on one side or the other of my lower stomach. I couldn't figure that out. No pain before taking the antibiotic, but after, light pain starts. Did someone "goof" or what?

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't know @Cody Fousnaugh. You just have to get in touch with a competent provider.