Weaning Myself Off Omeprazole/ Prilosec

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I take, but not my wife, prescription (VA) Omeprazole each AM when I first get up for occurring stomach acid. I can, sometimes, miss one day, but any more days and I'm hitting the Tums bottle. As long as I taking my daily dose of Omeprazole, I can drink a cup of coffee for breakfast, but if I don't stomach acid says "hello" to me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you ever tried Tums or equivalent? They work for me. Certain foods are responsible like greasy foods and citrus.

3. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't get all the people putting toxic poisonous drugs in their bodies.
    Then when issues invariably show up, they drag their feet "weaning" themselves off.

Why not just stop them completely? Because a chemical salesman orders you not to stop?
    Toxic poisonous chemical drugs are not food. Their only purpose is to make you sick and cause problems.

Personally I would get them out of my body as quickly as possible, and stay away from those who promote them.

Marie Mallery and Joy Martin like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I did not start this thread to be criticized or talked down to; I am not a child. I explained why I didn't "just stop." Because it was painful to do so. No one has "ordered me not to stop."

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I have tried just about everything, Ed. I swear I can drink a glass of water and get heartburn sometimes.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If I knew about the hiatal hernia, I didn't remember.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You may not need, or want, any kind of drugs, but there are those that would die if they didn't have them/take them. Just to let you know, I'm former EMT and worked for a Senior Healthcare Company for 4 1/2 years. Do you have any of those qualifications?

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I didn't know I had one, either, until one of my scans during cancer treatment. They found all kinds of stuff I never knew I had. :D Diverticulosis, hiatal hernia, some kind of benign spots on my liver, etc.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Clean up diet and a little dab of bakimg soda in short glass of water, can do wonders. I add a tad of B.S. to my morning cup of coffee, every day.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I was wondering who supplied the B.S.? Is it someone from the forum? Quite few of us are full of it.:p:p:p

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Some stuff said I just don't find funny, B.S. = baking soda...

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I realize that Joy. I was just making a joke. Sorry.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Baking soda and a touch of water works for Jakle and I, or I'll keep a glass of lemon water on bed table, also an old friend told me years ago to prop up the head of my bed 4 inches, it worked miracles for years, but now it is not comfortable to do that,so BS or lemon water.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the only thing I know about this drug and side effects. My youngest daughter 53 has been on the lowest possible dose. Pre diabetic. It's been at least a year since she started, She has started to wean herself from it because,,, extreme depression and at least one thought of suicide - here recently. There are a few other side effects for her, but this stood out for me. She does lean toward depression on her own though, but I feel this made it worse. She had the stomach bypass years ago, botched, re done, botched again. They removed three feet of scar tissue from her stomach.
    She has recently turned to dentures as her teeth were rotting from so many years of vomiting. How painful for anyone to have to endure years of misery in order to just want to be average weight.
    Everything has risks, just depends on how far your willing to go.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry to hear about your daughter's problems, G. I have been taking Omeprazole for at least 20 years and have had no significant side effects that I'm aware of. It makes my life much more comfortable because reflux is no fun. I have been trying to get away from anything that could possibly contribute to the muscle cramping, but I am not willing to suffer with acid reflux, either.