Weekly Dine-out Tonight

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think he mentioned somewhere else it's because of his teeth or maybe dentures that it's too hard to chew.

If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll correct me. :)

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That would make sense.

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Lady Chrissy....I will cheerfully correct you! :)

Their steaks are not only hard to chew, they're also hard to CUT!

I'm a large, fairly strong man, yet I find I have to apply a lot of pressure on the knife and "saw" through the meat!

This is why the Country (not Chicken) Fried Steak is my top choice on the "Not Steak" menu, because not only is it easy to Cut and Chew, but it is also quite tasty and filling, smothered in white gravy! When we go there this week, that's what I'm ordering! (With the "Super Stein" of beer, of course!)

Chrissy...I'm sorry that you find my favorite dinner not to your liking, especially so close to my Birthday, 16 days away!

Oh well...o_O

Have a nice day,
    Hal
    047.jpg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting to me to see a menu of a steak house. I had a look at the current menu showing the price increases. (http://steernstein.com/menu/) I find the prices very reasonable.
    Interesting, too, that a steak house even offers fish dishes. I'd have gone for the Grilled Cod Filet. Also interesting that they offer "Beers" something quite unusual over here (Ger), the most important question being: What beer? (Kind, producer). Also interesting: "stein" or "super stein". How large would be a super stein? One litre? Interesting as well: No mention of draft beer. Are bottles standard then? Interesting, too: sides are mentioned but no quantities and prices. Just a special offer for (baked?) potatoes. How would you order and pay for those? I guess I'd have had some questions for the server...Never mind, just flashing across my mind. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thomas, in answer to your Beer questions, the beers they have "on tap" (draft) are Budweiser Light and Coors Light, in either the 16 oz "Stein" or the 32 oz "Super Stein", which is just under a Liter.

Bottled beers are also available, but not standard, such as 12 oz Mexican and Dutch brews, but most diners prefer the draft beers in 16 or 32 oz steins.

The "Sides" are included in the price of the dinner. You order the Dinner and the Sides you want, such as Baked, Mashed, or Fried Potatoes, or other selectons.

My favorite Fish dinner is the Fish 'n' Chips, but I always substitute the Baked Potato for the Chips.

The Grilled Cod Filet is OK, but you get a lot more fish in the Fish 'n' Chips dinner.

Auf Wiedersehen, Mein Freunde!
    Herr Hal

Frank Sanoica and Thomas Stearn like this.
  6. Thomas Stearn

Registered

Thanks, Hal, for taking the trouble. Very informative.:)

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner A beer lover also, I learned when I first started brewing my own that FDA allows the use in commercially-brewed beer of 52 different chemical additives. Of course, not all are found in one brand (I would hope), but one causes the "head" to remain longer, another clarifies, and so on. REAL beer contains only 4 ingredients: water, yeast, hops, and malt. Those are the only ingredients to be found in my own beer.

The "German Purity Law" of 1516, to which most German brewers claim to abide by, allows use of only those 4 ingredients. My all time favorites were St. Pauli Girl, Beck's, and Duplikator Stark Bier. WERE because Beck's is now brewed in St. Louis, Duplikator I haven't seen anywhere since I lived in Chicago, so now if I am out of homebrew, it's St. Pauli Girl.

Perhaps @Thomas Stearn might tell us something about the German beers. When I visited Germany in 1972, I was astounded by the beer-drinking that went on by office-workers and such during lunch-time, in every restaurant. Frank

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  8. Thomas Stearn

Registered

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, see my posting about beer on Ken's thread about Boone's Farm wine. Wife and I are both beer (Bud Light) drinkers.

I went to a Steer & Stein in Mira Loma, California back in 1988. Don't remember what I ate.

My old, now sold, steak restaurant that I really liked was Stuart Anderson's Black Angus Restaurant in Anaheim, California. Prime Rib or Fillet is my choice. Here, where we currently live, have been to Longhorn Steakhouse and Outback Steakhouse. Outback is pretty much out of our price range, but did eat there once. The other restaurant that serves up a very good steak burger or rib eye, is Ruby Tuesday's.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I really don't care for any chain restaurant...guess Ive become a snob, lol

We have Black Angus here and Longhorn too...probably a bunch of others. Used to like Outback Steakhouse many moons ago but last year we went there with my daughter and family because it was near a movie theater we were going to....it sucked big time.

Don't know if it was just that particular one but everything was wrong...order took forever, food was cold and the steaks were terrible...the prices weren't that cheap considering how bad the food was.

Frank Sanoica and Thomas Stearn like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

OK, Frank...you were a Brewer, so tell me the difference between a Lager and a Pilsner.

Domestically, Budweiser is a Lager and Coors is a Pilsner.

I like Beck's and Lowenbrau Dark.

Ein, Zwei, Drei, Fier,

Lift your Stein and Drink your Beer!

(Go to YouTube and click on "Drink, Drink, Drink" from "The Student Prince".)

Hal

12. Thomas Stearn

Registered

You're right, @Frank Sanoica, the German Purity Law you mentioned is the most important thing to be said about German beer making it distinct, one should think, from beers brewed in other countries. Strictly speaking, though, this law is being subverted nowadays in as much as not only those four ingredients are used exclusively but slight additions are being made in order to make it more preservable and long-lasting.

I tasted other beers not brewed according to the Purity Law but in the end I was glad to enjoy a "plain" beer again. Not so the younger generation, though, who don't like it "plain" but increasingly prefer flavored beers or alcopops making sure that they don't taste like a genuine beer.

What struck me when I was reading Hall's post was that the beer offered in restaurants and diners does not seem to be an essential part of marketing if you go by the menu. In Ger people (beer drinkers) would choose a restaurant or pub based on the beer brand offered. Knowing that, pubs would advertise the beer brand they offer in large letters.
    In Ger the divide is between wheat beer vs pilsner beer, in some regions (Cologne/Dusseldorf in North-Rhine Westphalia (NRW)) between a local brand (Koelsch) and dark beer and, across the country, between premium beers like Beck's, (originally from Bremen @Hal Pollner , which is my personal favorite), Krombacher, Veltins, Bitburger, etc. and a large variety of local or regional beers like Lowenbrau (originally Bavaria/Munich).

Brewers are concerned because (traditional) beer consumption on the whole has been on the decline for some time. That's why they are experimenting with all sorts of newly designed beers to get the younger generations. Are you sure the office workers you saw in the restaurant were really having just a break? Even so, back in the 70s it was much more common to enjoy a pint at lunch. That's why there had been tremendous resistance to reducing the drunk driving limit to 0.5 blood alcohol level. Yet, as you see, 0.5 would still make it possible to drink and drive, which the brewers are interested in. I once had had two 16 oz of beer within app. 3 hours and was then stopped by the police to take a breath test showing 0.35. Wouldn't do that any more although official policy would allow you to. At that time (2002) there was no alcohol-free beer.
    I think it's fair to say that alcohol consumption during working hours has gone down and is more a private affair nowadays. In Munich, though, all those people sitting in the beer gardens at lunch time and drinking a super stein can't all be retirees or tourists or people on vacation. :D There are regional differences, as it seems.

You are not only a builder but also a brewer! Chapeau! How long-lasting is your beer if you don't add, as I assume, any additives? How did you learn to brew your own beer? How much do you brew a year?

PS: @Cody Fousnaugh : will read your post soon.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

...at Steer & Stein in Victorville, California!
    $12.99. Wednesdays Only!

Hal

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      176.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered