Whаt Shоuld Bе Dоnе Аbоut Thе Аlmоst 50,000 Hоmеlеss Vеtеrаns?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Daniel Milner, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Some military men/women do chose a job that isn't related at all to a civilian type job. In the Army, a soldier can be an infantryman, which would relate to what job in civilian life? A soldier could learn to be an in artillery, but again, how would doing that relate? I know that many Navy jobs did cross-over to civilian jobs, for instance: Machinist Mate, Supply/SK, Cook, Ships Serviceman (laundry, barber), Postal Clerk, Engineman, Electronics/ET among some others. I had no real problem getting a job in Warehousing/Stockroom/Shipping/Receiving/Purchasing/Inventory Control in civilian life.

Veteran's do need help, just how much can really be a question. Tax money and government money can only go so far and many in society, that have never known anyone in the military, really don't care that much about Veteran's. Unfortunately, that's just seems to be a fact.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott I do not. Given the rigors of military service, as well as the hardships endured while serving, I personally cannot imagine that those having served thusly, under the harshest of extremes and conditions, would return to civilian life as helpless slugs. Hurts to say it that way, yes, but given a young man from average society transformed into a "fighting man", that inscription necessarily being life-long, how or why would he deviate from such honor upon being discharged? It makes no sense. Only resolution of the question I see is that the very "dregs" of folks released from military service become parasitic.
    Frank

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It really shocks me at how many people, including Veterans are homeless. It also shocks me at how many don't want help and simply want to stay homeless.

I'm a Vet and I was homeless at one time. How did I get that way? Making the wrong choices and financial irresponsibility! I got back on my feet, with getting a descent job, because I had to. Luckily, I got help from a friend. When they told me how they could help me, I sure didn't say "no thank you"! I DIDN'T like being homeless!

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are sooooo many links that I could put up but maybe this one will help a bit.
    http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits/homeless-veterans-programs.html

In the missions ministry I can pretty much bet (and win) that at least one out of three men who need shelter on any given night will be a veteran and 9 out of 10 of those are combat vets.

When a civilian enters the military world, everything he knew as a civilian is wiped clean and he becomes a brand new, government issued military device. Like it was already noted, the new government device is given everything he or she needs to succeed in military situations. The MOS (military occupational specialty) of a soldier in the Army is critical but not so critical that if all else fails, his primary MOS is that of 11B10 or a front line infantryman.
    Essentially, what those of us in the Army are ultimately trained to do is to wreck things and kill people. Nothing is more important than that fact and I know that what I am saying is nothing new to any vet in this forum.
    The testament of a surviving combat vet is simply that he is very lucky or darned good at what he was trained to do.

Now, as a couple of people have already alluded to, how does that equate to a civilian position right out of the military ETS gate? In short, it doesn't. The newly discharged person is still a military device, and most of us devices needed orders and direction for our next mission which is to no longer wreck and kill but to adapt.
    While it may seem simple to adapt to a new situation, the evolution to adoption of a whole new life can be pretty difficult for some. With that new difficulty, some vets just give up and kill themselves, (presently at 22 avg per day) while others adapt to a new life of their own making, whatever that might be.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I disagree Bobby. I spent 4 years in the military and when I got out I was still the same person. I believe 4 years in college is more apt to screw up a persons thinking.

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

IMHO, 4 years in either institution can screw up a person's mind. 4 years (+) in BOTH institutions produces minds like those of Patton, MacArthur, and Eisenhower! The three top future military leaders who in their early service years fought against their own peers, retired WW-I vets, in the debacle which came to be known as "Hooverville".
    Frank

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well there are things that can help homeless veterans such as benefits.gov, Foodstamps or what is called now EBT, here in Hawaii we have Aloha United Way helps people from becoming homeless, but you got to know about it or at least have internet access like at the library. One Gov. had homeless people's newspapers for information to help them.

* http://www.va.gov/homeless/

* http://www.nchv.org/index.php/help/

* http://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/housing.asp

This site is just a click to help homeless veterans.

* http://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...rce=ctgtabs&gg_medium=sitenav&gg_campaign=ars

These are some of the sites I found and could you share it when you can so many will get help. Thanks so much. Locally there has been music concerts by Rough Riders who have donated all proceeds to the State to help the homeless.

Other people have been active to help the homeless:

* http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/events/

* http://www.nationalhomeless.org/want_to_help/

Tim Burr likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Military service has always been seen as a time for young men o grow up, learn discipline and become better citizens. You make it sound like military service ruins otherwise good people. I strongly disagree.

Maybe they should bring back the draft. That will help get all these unemployed youth off the streets and give them a purpose in life.