What About Food Dyes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, May 31, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I got sick as hell when I was about 10, throwing up for several days, nothing would stay down. My Dad took me to old Dr. Davies, the family doctor of anyone's dreams! He had determined, through questioning me, that I had eaten a whole bunch of these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He told my Dad, these were colored with Coal Tar colorings, hard on the stomach beyond doubt. He prescribed a bottle of "limewater", which our Rexall Drug store provided. By the next day, no more puking!

"Food dyes are chemical substances that were developed to enhance the appearance of food by giving it artificial color.
    People have added colorings to food for centuries, but the first artificial food colorings were created in 1856 from coal tar.
    Nowadays, food dyes are made from petroleum.
    Over the years, hundreds of artificial food dyes have been developed, but a majority of them have since been found to be toxic. There are only a handful of artificial dyes that are still used in food."

• Red No. 3 (Erythrosine): A cherry-red coloring commonly used in candy, popsicles and cake-decorating gels.
    • Red No. 40 (Allura Red): A dark red dye that is used in sports drinks, candy, condiments and cereals.
    • Yellow No. 5 (Tartrazine): A lemon-yellow dye that is found in candy, soft drinks, chips, popcorn and cereals.
    • Yellow No. 6 (Sunset Yellow): An orange-yellow dye that is used in candy, sauces, baked goods and preserved fruits.
    • Blue No. 1 (Brilliant Blue): A greenish-blue dye used in ice cream, canned peas, packaged soups, popsicles and icings.
    • Blue No. 2 (Indigo Carmine): A royal blue dye found in candy, ice cream, cereal and snacks.
    See: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/food-dyes#section2

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well they sort of made you 'chuckle' didn't they Frank :p
    Don't like food dyes - E numbers etc and shows we didn't need them as they've done away with a lot of this nonsense now

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most modern food dyes are made from plants. Some use GMO soybeans however.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bugs, anyone? (Courtesy of ChemMattersOnline)
    The next time you enjoy strawberry-flavored yogurt or cranberry juice, you may be eating bugs! But don’t worry. These insects did not contaminate your food by accident. An extract from a type of insect, known as the cochineal, was deliberately added by the food manufacturer.
    For centuries, the Aztecs used these insects to dye fabrics a deep-red color. If you crush up 70,000 of these bugs, you can extract a pound of a deep-red dye, called carminic acid (C22H20O13 ) (Fig. 3). This dye is safe to ingest, so it found its way into a variety of food and cosmetic products that required a red color. However, the thought of eating bugs is unappealing to some people.
    To find out if your food contains bugs, look for carmine, carminic acid, cochineal, or Natural Red 4 on the ingredient label. While these substances are typically considered safe, in rare instances people can have a severe allergic reaction to them, leading to a life-threatening condition called anaphylactic shock.

How about this? I don't think I could eat a gray weenie. :eek:

Without coloring, hot dogs would be gray.

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Haha - I'm getting some giggles today - thanks
    If it had been gray to start with, you'd be eating it - but I have no idea what a 'weenie' is, so maybe it has to be any colour but gray ! :p

Frank Sanoica and Shirley Martin like this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Weenie is southern speak for what northerners and Englishters call hotdogs, franks, or frankfurters. It's not what you were thinking. ;):D

Patsy Faye and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Patsy Faye

"Weenie" is a colloquial take-off of the German word "Wiener", or sausage.
    Frank

Patsy Faye and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The talk of chemicals in food reminded me of the essentially calorie-free bread that was marketed in the 1970s as a diet food and a bread that diabetics could comfortably eat. It was a big hit for a while, but when the secret leaked out that it was made largely from sawdust, the market for it collapsed. I think I ate some, and, if I remember correctly, it tasted just like white bread. People are still researching it though, due to the ascendancy of celiac disease and people wanting to avoid wheat gluten.

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    A similar idea exists with Olestra, the "non-fat" fat.

Olestra has the same taste and mouthfeel as fat, but it passes through the gastrointestinal tract undigested without contributing calories or nutritive value to the diet.

Frank

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think I remember Olestra. I think it had the side effect of severe diarrhea, right? We went on a trip into Canada for the 100 year anniversary of the Klondike Gold Rush in 1998 (Boy Scouts). There was a kid who brought a supply of fat-free potato chips--enough for the two week trip. He constantly chowed on those snacks, then was on the toilet for much of the remainder of the trip. Fortunately, he was riding in a motor home, so he managed....

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Omg Patsy..me coffee went right thru the nose on the gray weenie:)

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

No your not:D

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Let us all face the ugly truth- Our food is poisonous- it is made that way on purpose for economical reasons and also a form of population control.If we eat enough of the wrong things for a long time, this will encourage doctor visits, tests, hospitals and their favorite- drugs.
    By the time we have figured it out They have made a fortunate on us.
    Just say'en:cool:

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Much of what we eat is responsible for the diseases we suffer. As there is at least one thread on the topic, a diet high in simple carbohydrates is deadly. I ate such a diet for years , knowing full well that it was not good for my health, but it was what I had available. Now I am working to correct some of the damage done by those years of bad eating habits, mostly at work.

Hedi Mitchell and Frank Sanoica like this.