What Are We Eating For 2016?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steve North, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love butternut squash, @Steve North but never had it with peas. Was your squash cubed with some peas thrown in or mashed with some peas thrown in?

I can picture it both ways and looks pretty in my head...the two colors. Just curious to how you had it.

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I cubed the squash, steamed it.......
    Meanwhile, I put the frozen peas in a pot of water to boil..
    I mashed the squash, added herbs and spices, and then with a slotted spoon, added the peas and mixed everything.. I served the mixture with a large ice-cream scoop making a scoop of veggies on the plate.. I then added a swig of fresh parsley sticking up from the top of the scoop..
    It presents well.. A good looking plate well presented always seems to taste better.. People appreciate the extra effort..............

3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Intend on baking a crustless quiche today. It contains eggs, shredded cheese, and broccoli florets. Should be easy to make and easy to eat.

4. Steve North

Registered

FISH...... I took a few pieces of fish, breaded them, and fried them in EVOO.....

Steamed and smashed carrots with peas added was the veggie.. Also some grape yellow tomatoes from our garden..

5. Steve North

Registered

Today was cold compared to the heat we have been having.. It was only 18c today and it is going down to 6c for overnight.. it is seasonable but after the hot summer we had, it feels cold..
    BBQ tonight (Sunday) as I just don't feel like cooking indoors..
    I took out of the freezer some burgers and put them on the grill frozen..
    I did go to the garden to get some veggies for a salad.. Those grape yellow tomatoes are something else.. I munch on them all day.. simply delicious..

I cut up a cantaloupe and we had a delicious desert..

6. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight (Wednesday) was B/S chicken thighs lightly breaded and fried in a skillet with some EVOO..

Steamed green and yellow beans with sour cream..
    I don't have any lettuce and it was raining way too hard to go to the veggie garden to get some, so I scraped some carrots, sliced some mushrooms, and sliced some red onion, and we had a salad that I made a dressing for.. We both enjoyed the salad with no lettuce..

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with turkey bacon for my wife
    bowl of porridge with cottage cheese and sour cream for me..

Lunch: as usual, nothing !!! NO lunch...

7. Steve North

Registered

Friday was a Tuna casserole with loads of veggies making it a one dish meal..

8. Steve North

Registered

For supper tonight (Wednesday) I made a casserole using minced turkey, loads of veggies, and some cheese and cream to make a sort of a sauce..
    It was good but the problem is I have LEFTOVERS !!! I put it in a container in the fridge till I do something with it..

Breakfast: as usual...
    Lunch: as usual.... Nothing...

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Depending what veggies you used @Steve North that's something I'd put in an omelet if I had any leftover.

I do eat omelets for dinner.

10. Steve North

Registered

NO... I don't see the leftovers going into an omelette.. Not that type of casserole..
    I do eat an omelette every day using 3 eggs for me and 3 eggs for my wife.. We do go through a lot of eggs in our house..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

We were working outside all day and we came in for supper after 6:00 and I had nothing taken out for supper.. I had to think fast and I was extremely tired and burnt out, not to mention sore all over..
    I took 2 frozen marinated chicken breasts and put them on the BBQ grill frozen.. (I dry marinate my breasts before freezing)
    Diced up a lettuce, red onion, sliced some mushrooms, diced a sweet pepper, and scraped a small carrot and VOILA I have a salad..
    EVOO, red wine vinegar, dash of Dijon mustard, bit of S/F maple syrup, dash of Worchester sauce, and I have a dressing..
    Everything was simple, fast and easy..

Frozen blueberries zapped with some heavy cream and sweetner and we have a desert..

12. Steve North

Registered

FISH.... I took 2 fillets of cod, breaded them and pan fried them.. Served with fresh lemon slice..

13. Steve North

Registered

Yesterday (Tuesday) after working again outside, I took frozen burgers and put them on the BBQ along with each one veal sausage.. That was a fast and easy way out of not having something out for supper..

I cubed half a turnip, steamed it, finely mashed it and added an egg, spices and herbs (chives), put it in a loaf pan and baked it at 400f till lightly brown on top..
    Voila, a turnip casserole that is easy to make and very tasty..

Frozen raspberries, zapped with some sweetener and heavy cream....................... Voila, a desert..

14. Steve North

Registered

For supper, I made something completely different.. I tried to invent a new way to make chicken drums.. (my own concoction)...
    I took a can of mushroom soup, added loads of sliced fresh mushrooms, some diced onion, herbs and spices, dash of Worchester sauce, and added the mixture over the drums in a loaf pan, and baked it in the oven at 375f till done (about one hour).. Chicken fell off the bone..
    I made a couscous (with stock & onions) to go with it for the sauce.. Thought something to absorb the sauce would be needed.. (I was right)...
    Steamed carrots and parsnips, coarsely mashed with caraway seeds and butter was the veggie.. Some yellow grape tomatoes from our garden to munch on as well as another veggie..

The end result wasn't bad, but we found it different.. Tasty for sure but different.. Next time, perhaps more veggies in the mushroom sauce would do it, although we both finished the dish completely.................... NO Leftovers !!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

Today, Saturday, I am doing the grocery shopping as we are having some friends over because it is the Birthday of my Princess on Tuesday and we are going to celebrate it on Sunday as everyone is available.. That way I can buy a cake for her and have it fresh for Sunday..
    Tuesday we are going to go to Sudbury for the day which is her Birthday.. That will be another celebration for us..

I will be making on Sunday a BBQ.. Weather permitting, also a camp fire in our back yard where I will be serving the H'ordeuves..
    Veal rib steaks on BBQ
    Sausages on BBQ (Beef, honey garlic)
    Small red potatoes steamed, placed on a cookie sheet, top smashed, drizzled with oil and herbs, spices, and broiled till light brown
    Coleslaw (oil and vinegar)
    Fresh green salad with my own dressing (most veggies from our garden)
    Pickles, olives, and our small yellow tomatoes on the table
    Dinner buns with butter
    Birthday cake that I will buy (with candles)
    Cookies that I made...... Peanut butter cookies and peanut butter with chocolate chip
    Pot of Folgers
    I also have some Ginger ale, Dr. Pepper, Ice Tea, and Pepsi...... all diet of course
    Real orange juice and apple juice for those that want..

When they first arrive, I will have some of my deviled eggs, assorted cubed cheeses with crackers, and a platter of veggies with a dip..

Now, I don't think anyone will leave our house hungry...............
    Lots of work, but I only have one wife and she is well worth it...

K E Gordon likes this.