What Are We Eating For 2016?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steve North, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Hungry for a snack last night, I made some sweet potato fries, sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and stevia.

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing interesting right now, but if I can get all the ingredients, I am thinking of making a Pumpkin Caramel Cream Cheese Poke Cake. It just sounds too yummy not to make, but I will take some to my relatives so I don't end up eating the whole thing myself, that would not be advisable!

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Its been a while since I posted on here and the main reason is something called "laziness" on my part..

OK, no use going back, but for supper last night (Thursday) I made a casserole using minced chicken, veggies galore, cheesy sauce, and just a wee bit of noodles used mainly as a filler which I now realise I didn't need.. Herbs and spices of course..
    It was good, but not fabulous, however we managed to eat most of it, so it wasn't that bad... Yes, I have a small amount of leftovers......
    Next time, more flavouring should be added by adding more herbs....

4. Steve North

Registered

Last night (Saturday) was a total disaster for supper.. I mean, "if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all"......
    First I decided to make us some frozen marinated chicken breasts on the BBQ.. I went to the freezer to take them out and discovered I didn't have any left.. I use them frozen on the BBQ, so at the last minuet, what am I to substitute it with.. I decided to have steaks.. Low and behold, I only had one steak in the freezer left.. I then went for frozen burgers and had plenty of them, but I didn't feel like burgers.. I had them just a few nights ago..
    OK...... I took out the one steak and my wife agreed to have a burger....... Problem solved, no ???? .......... NO !!!!
    I went to light the BBQ to pre-heat it.. Everything was fine till upon lighting it, I realised I had run out of propane.. The gauge I have on the tank indicated "empty"............... WONDERFUL !!!!!! Why didn't I notice that last time I used it..... Oh, well....

For a veggie I made a turnip and carrot casserole in the oven which means I can't use the oven to broil the meat....... WONDERFUL !!!!
    Now what ?????
    OK.... My ingenious brain started working and I came up with a quick fix....
    1st I waited till the casserole was almost ready to come out of the oven..
    Then I lowered the casserole to the lowest rack in the oven and turned on the broiler with the top rack in the broil position on top..
    Then I took out my broiling pan, put a bit of water on the bottom and put the steak and burger on the broiler pan rack.. I then seasoned up the meat..
    Then I broiled the meat while the casserole was in the oven on the bottom rack..
    By the time the meat was ready, the casserole was also ready with a slightly golden top to it.. So far, so good, right ???????
    Not really because even though I had the exhaust fan on over the stove, the smoke alarm kept going off in the kitchen with that piercing noise.. The dog wouldn't stop barking because of the piercing noise.. I was running from the smoke detector to the oven back and forth closing the noise and checking the meat..
    You guessed it, the meat came out just a bit overdone because of all the running around I did.......................
    The casserole was delicious with the golden crust on top...

Bottom line.......... We had supper.... NO leftovers !!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Steve North

Registered

I seem to be caught in some sort of a rut lately..
    all I do is get myself into situations..
    Again yesterday I forgot to take something out for supper.. It must be the senior moments in me.. By the time I realised it, it was too late to thaw anything, so frozen on the BBQ was the only answer.. I do have different options but frozen burgers and steak seems to always be the answer..
    That is exactly what I did.................. A burger for my Princess and a steak for me.. My steak was actually a veal chop..

I took a butternut squash (half a small squash), cubed it, steamed it, mashed it, added some fresh parsley, and served it just like that..
    I also had a few yellow grape tomatoes left from our garden that I served as well.. Cut in half, sprinkled and tossed with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, EVOO, dry basil leaves, and a dash of S&P...

We were given a cantaloupe by the farmer down the road, so we had it for desert.. Sweet and very mellow.. I pigged out and had half of the cantaloupe..

A pot of tea to sip on after the meal was also very lovely..

Voila............... From nothing I managed to come up with a meal even though I forgot to thaw something for supper.......

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, tonight is adventure night at our house ! We discovered a marked down dinner kit of Thai Red Curry, and it looked interesting, so we bought it.
    It has lots of hot chili paste, and other interesting looking seasoning in the mix, plus some coconut milk that tasted much creamier than the kind you buy in the store.
    We added lots of veggies since we won't be eating it with rice, and some chicken and a few frozen shrimpies for extra flavor.
    It is simmering away on the stove, and smells wonderful. The only thing about these kinds of things is that when you have never made it before, or even eaten it before, you have NO clue what it is supposed to look or taste like when it is ready.
    It looked kind of soupy to me (it did say to serve with rice), so I took the lid off the pan and am letting it cook off some of the liquid, and we are hoping for the best.

Edit to add: it turned out pretty good, was VERY spicy; but we like that. It was runny even after I cooked it down, and I can see why they recommend eating it with rice, to soak up the soupy part.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Thai food as long as it's not with coconut milk...other than that it sounds delicious.

8. Steve North

Registered

I too am not a lover of the taste of coconut..
    Frankly, I can have a bad day without coconut .....

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Steve North

Registered

Yesterday I started out making a casserole using diced chicken breasts..
    I didn't realise I was short of some ingredients, so I quickly changed my idea and ended up making something slightly different..
    I cooked the diced chicken along with onions, garlic, and some diced sweet peppers in a skillet.. I then added a can of mushroom soup, loads of freshly sliced mushrooms, scraped carrot, herbs and spices, and cooked that till done about 15 minutes..
    I made a couscous using stock instead of water and a small dash of Worchester sauce and some peas after it was done..
    I served my concoction on top of a mound of couscous and added some freshly snipped parsley on top for appearance ...

It came out so good that my Princess wanted seconds.... Lovely as there weren't any ....... LEFTOVERS

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Steve North

Registered

I am thinking of a Tuna casserole for supper tonight..
    Its been a while since I made it and we always like it... Besides I like those one dish meals..

11. Steve North

Registered

Salmon filets pan fried in a buttery, lemony, dill sauce..
    Served with steamed whole carrots from our garden..
    A side dish of couscous made with stock instead of water and I added some herbs and spices as well..