What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder Michener books are good, but the thing that kind of disturbed me is that he made up too much of it. I mean historical fiction requires a lot of research, but I kind of like to read either fiction or non fiction. The mix of the two is kind of disconcerting. I guess I should put those feelings aside though, because even if it was supposedly non ficiton, alot would be conjecture, like all history.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon , I went through many of Michener's books in my late teen, and he was the first writer that showed me how history could have developed, and he taught me to think outside of the box.

My last choice of reading material was by Judith Miller. It was her 'Freedom's Path' trilogy. It is a historical fiction base on the first negro city founded in America. A place named Necodemus, Kansas started in 1877.

It was a subject I had never given any thought to before.

K E Gordon likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I just finished reading the final book in the Wayward Pines trilogy. I definitely want to read more of his books, and I think the local library has them. I borrowed one before, but wanted to finish these before I started the others. I think I'll slip the Escape book about the FLDS in between, though, since I already have that on my Kindle. I've got that charging, since once I start that book, it might be a marathon reading session.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

Registered

Oh one book, I am going to look into is one someone mentioned, not in this group but someplace else, is called Homecoming. She said she bought it at a thrift store for 50 cents, and it was so good she didn't want it to end. She said she was very happy to find out there was a sequel. I will have to find out the author's name again. I am plodding along through my books,,I just don't read every day, so it takes me forever to finish them.

5. Diane Lane

Registered

I got engrossed in other things yesterday, and haven't started the Escape book yet. I woke up early yet again, and the plan is to go back to bed and read with tea and crackers after I peruse the forum a bit. Everyone's fed and watered, and hopefully I'll either get totally involved in reading and relax that way, or get bored and fall asleep. I have some other things to do later, but I'm too tired to be of much use until I get more sleep. I've downloaded a few freebies via Bookbub over the past few weeks, so even after I'm finished with the Escape book, I have plenty of others to read.

6. K E Gordon

Registered

I read about 10 minutes of Skeleton Key last night, but in reality I was just killing time until Midnight when my bandwidth is unmetered so I could watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix, however, in the book they have just discovered a body in the basement which is always an interesting turn of events. Today is apt to be slow, but not sure whether I will get any reading in or not.

7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Aside from the newer books I am currently reading, at least every year for the last 41 years,
    I reread one of my favorite books "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.
    The writing style, setting and unforgettable Characters gives this book a timeless quality.
    Years back, I purchased the audio book read by Ralph Cosham for my walks and quiet time.
    He captures the mood and flow of the book with great care. Recommended.

8. K E Gordon

Registered

I remember when Watership Down was on the best sellers list. I should read that as I never have. I think my favorite book of all time was Angela's Ashes, by the late great Frank McCourt. I never read a book that could make you laugh on one page, and cry on the next. The only other one that really came close in my opinion was All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot's immortal classic.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Angela's Ashes was a great book, I read it so long ago that I had totally forgotten about it.

Wonder if I read it now, it would come back to me because I don't really remember it but once I start and it's starts sounding familiar I can't continue. Can only see a movie just once also....one of my idiosyncrasies.

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been reading Amphigorey, which is a collection of Edward Gorey's illustrated books. It's very amusing. If you ever watched some of the old BBC mystery shows when they were on PBS a few decades back, Gorey's illustrations used to be used in the opening credits.

These stories are very tongue-in-cheek, and somewhat macabre. I find them highly entertaining.

K E Gordon and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

I started reading the Escape book. It's a pretty fascinating look into the life of someone in the FLDS group. I have to keep taking breaks, though, because she does a good job of describing it, and I can't imagine living like that. It's interesting to read about the dynamics of the 'family' interactions, how the wives react to one another, fight for the husband's attention, manipulate situations, etc.

Joe Riley and Diana Kristof like this.
  12. Diana Kristof

Registered

I find this topic fascinating too. In all honesty, I kind of got interested after watching the show Big Love, which is a whole other animal to what you're reading about, and is fictional, but deals with the modern day FDLS. After that I watched some of Sister Wives too, and I read a novel about a boy who left the FDLS church, tough I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I know that I've added several books, fiction and nonfiction, on this topic to my Good Reads list because it is truly fascinating, especially to someone who grew up in a faith and left it, but not that one.

K E Gordon and Joe Riley like this.
  13. K E Gordon

Registered

It is interesting to read this thread, because when I came home I flipped on the ID channel, and there was the story of Rulon Allred who was murdered by the way, and his multiple wives and children. He had 48 children by 7 different wives. I think I agree with Woodrow Wilson who said words to the effect of zealotry in all forms is dangerous. I think in this in the case of FLDS, and other mass polygamists.

Diane Lane and Diana Kristof like this.
  14. Diana Kristof

Registered

K E Gordon, that is a good quote, and much truth in it.

I am not sure about the FLDS as a whole, but yes, there are a lot who are over zealous. It was really the show Sister Wives that got me thinking about how there might be some FLDS families who actually live happily in that faith, at least not any less so than some Baptists, for instance.

15. Diane Lane

Registered

@Diana Kristof Are the sister wives part of FLDS? I know my mom watches it, but even the commercials for the show make me cringe, so I haven't delved into the background of the show or the people on it. I'm really not familiar with the topic at all, other than the show and this book, and neither paints a positive picture of the lifestyle. I can't imagine how they survive financially, other than if they have very successful businesses, have inherited wealth, or develop a following and the shows become successful.

Diana Kristof likes this.