What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

We have that here, too, @Tim Burr, but it seems they have a lot more printed books than electronic versions. I try to pick up new ones when I am dropping off old ones, to save gas & wear & tear on the vehicle, but it doesn't always work out. I used Overdrive a lot when I had the iPod, but now I just upload to the Kindle Cloud or download directly to my Kindle reader. Overdrive seemed a little difficult to navigate, but it's been a while, and the kinks have probably been worked out by now. I really appreciate having the ability to e-borrow, when it's available.

2. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm about three quarters of the way through the new Kindle book I'm reading. It's called Aberration: A Serial Killer Novel. It's definitely a change from the last one, although it's more typical of what I read these days. I like to switch it up every so often, with a fantasy novel or historical type of book, just to wake up my brain. I can't remember if I paid for this one, but if I did, it didn't cost much, perhaps $1.99 at the most, since I mainly read free and low cost books. I might see if the author has any others I can read after I finish this book.

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We are fortunate to have a beautiful Main library here, and of course I have to post some pictures.
    This is about 4 blocks from where I work so easy to check books out and check them back in.
    Nice use of Open Space, just invites you to get lost in a book - Love the stairs inside.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

K E Gordon and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

That is really pretty @Tim Burr. My dad was on the library board in our hometown for years, and I miss hearing all of the behind the scenes goings on. I grew up right down the street from probably the most active branch in the city, and the basement of the library was actually a bomb shelter. We are/were definitely a family of readers, and I frequented the hometown library, as well as the Boston Public Library, Cambridge Public Library and also the library at Tufts University. That was before it was possible to borrow from the various libraries with your one card, and I could get to all of those easier than I could get to some of the branches of my local library down here, since things here are spread so far apart. Your pictures remind me somewhat of the library scenes from the movie City of Angels.

Tim Burr likes this.
  5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane Sounds nice that you had an insiders look into how libraries work.
    I wrote before in a thread that since we moved all the time, a library didn't care if you were the 'new' kid at school. Always a welcoming, friendly place to hang out.

My children tire of there electronics quickly and Dad gets their old tablets and such. I clean them up and use them.

Have a nice 7" tablet with just pdf files and kindle books for work. Fits nicely in the cargo pants I wear there.
    Still getting used to the 10.1 " tablet.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

That's nice that they give you their old tablets and other electronics @Tim Burr. Yes, I had an insider's look at how government and other organizations functioned from my dad. He was on all sorts of boards and civic organizations, as well as some church associations, as well.

I've always loved libraries, maybe because they were peaceful places. I lived in the same place/house from birth to age 20, so I was never the new kid in town, but I would imagine libraries welcome all, and it's nice that you discovered that and had a place to go and relax.

7. Raleigh Smith

Raleigh Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm reading another Mary Alice Monroe novel, Time is a River. I've read so many of her books and have enjoyed just about every one of them.

Tim Burr and K E Gordon like this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am still contemplating Wuthering Heights. I think Shopaholic to the Rescue is more my speed, but I did download a sample of Wuthering Heights to see if it would be something I might like. The dialect does seem a bit off putting, but I haven't made a final determination yet, as to whether or not it is something I would enjoy reading. I know I tried David Copperfield but it really didn't hold my interest. In general, I prefer more contemporary works. I hope you enjoy the ALice Monroe book Raleigh, and welcome to the forum!

9. Diane Lane

Registered

I used to spend quite a bit of time in bookstores and libraries, and would often pick up various books and read a bit to see how I'd like them. I really enjoy having the option to do so with electronic books as well, especially those that I'm buying, rather than borrowing, or downloading for free. I don't have the money to waste, and there seem to be a lot of bad electronic books out there, and it's a good way to weed out the bad ones.

K E Gordon and Tim Burr like this.
  10. K E Gordon

Registered

Yes, I agree however, the downside of reading book samples is if you find something you really like, you feel compelled to purchase it. That is how I ended up buying a John Grisham book via Kindle which wasn't inexpensive and a couple of other things, that I could have gone to the library for. Sometimes you get the samples too, and they really don't give you anything. I know one I got recently just had like the Table of Contents and so forth..I mean,, Say What? That really isn't enough of a sample to tell if you would like the book or not.

Diane Lane and Tim Burr like this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha, why the heck would they include the table of contents in a sample? Sounds as if they didn't know what they were doing. Hopefully by their next book, they'll rethink that idea. I haven't read a Grisham book in a while. Maybe I should see what the library has of his for e-books. I started reading a cozy mystery, but it wasn't holding my attention, so I'll have to keep looking.

K E Gordon likes this.
  12. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Starting the audio book "Rumpole For The Defence" by John Mortimer.
    Along with the old PBS series 'Upstairs,Downstairs' ( 1971-1975 ) the 'Rumpole' series might be my favorite all time TV.

When you read or listen to the Rumpole books, you can picture the great actor Leo McKern who made the character of Horace Rumpole come to life. ( those of us old enough to remember the TV show 'The Prisoner' from the 60's, McKern was 'No.2')

Mortimer's humor is spot on and easy to follow.
    Rumpole is a throw-back, out of date Barrister, who enjoys his Port and is forever trying to stay in the good graces of 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'.

[​IMG]

13. K E Gordon

Registered

I have been reading the Wuthering Heights sample, I think I will go ahead and get the book since it is all of 99 cents! I also, read a bit about Emily Bronte, Apparently she died at age 30 shortly after writing the book. The Bronte's were a bright and creative family, too bad almost all of them died young. LIfe must have been soooo hard in those days.

14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin and I are type 2 diabetics. She has been on the Atkins food plan. She has lost 30 pounds and her blood sugar is now within normal range. So, I bought an Atkins cookbook and am reading the various recipes.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was type two diabetes and taking medication. I lost forty-six points and no longer take medication nd all tests are normal. My high blood pressure is normal since losing weight.

Ken Anderson likes this.