What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm reading "The Girl On the Train". It's a strange book. I can't say yet if I'll like it. I'll report back when finished. They say it's now a movie, I'll look for the movie later if I like the book.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen both the book and movie mentioned a lot lately. From what I've seen, the book and movie are different, which isn't unusual. I don't know what the story line is, so I'll wait to hear back from you about what you thought of it and whether you liked it.

Sheldon Scott and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just about the finish a Colleen Coble mystery in the Sunset Cove series, book 1. This takes place in Maine @Ken Anderson and any other Mainers. Love her books, this one has lots of twists and turns. "The Inn at Oceans Edge". Here's a link to all her titles. I have found several in my library2go that I check out from, and download to my Nook. I haven't had to buy any books for a long time;) I have another to start by Danni Pettrey. I love her Alaskan Courage series, and I have another of hers lined up which several of hers are in the library as well. These are newer books too.

I don't know how the libraries get books, whether they are donated, or the library purchases them. But these are really, fun mysteries, no profanity.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am reading The WHISTLER by John Grisham via Kindle

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

It is a strange story, and I finally sent it back to the library because I couldn't get into it. I saw the movie "Gone Girl" which some reviews say is similar, or type of writing I mean. The movie was odd to me, but yet I was glued to it til the very end.

I have Girl on a train on hold at my library2go, there are like 10 people ahead of me too, LOL! But since the movie is out, I do want to read the book in total, before I see the movie. I couldn't get ahold of Gone Girl or I would have read the book first as well;)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I love my Nook Ren, I know the Kindle is very cool as well. I read more now and probably never go back to a hardcopy;)

Do you hook up with library2go? Amazing the books you find in a library, and don't have to buy them. A lot of Grisham in our library, and several other well-known, popular authors.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

If you have a Reader @Ina I. Wonder, @K E Gordon and anyone else that does, don't forget about library2go. All you need is a library card number to set up your online account. If I finish a book at 10 pm I can go right in and check out another. I have Nook so my purchases have to come from Barnes and Noble, but as I mentioned in another post, I find most of the books I want to read through the digital library. Here's a link again for anyone interested in library2go. Glad to help anyone if they try it out and have any issues getting started. Or help finding your areas library2go, mine is in Oregon, but I have one for my County here as well. So if you have library cards from other areas you lived, you can still check-out from those libraries as well;)

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in my twenties, I was very fond of those hardback condensed Reader's Digest. They were always tastefully written without all the sexual innuendoes or bad language. :eek:

Back then, none of my family or friends did much in the way of reading, nor could any of them understand why everytime they saw me, my head eas bent over a book. :rolleyes:

I would walk four miles to the county library, and I would carry as many as I could carry home. My arms would be killing me by the time I got home. But it was well worth it. :D

Diane Lane and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I love reading now, but I didn't as a child. It would have really helped me cope I think. It sure does now:) I only read at night though. Comforting, and I sleep way better:)

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

oh that is really cool @Denise Happyfeet. I will check that out. I think it is really amazing that you can get books downloaded to my eReader. it is just one of the ways that I can take advantage of the library at home. I also picked up something from the library a few months ago that explains how to download library books to your digital device. It seems like a great way to take advantage of evrything that the library has to offer without necessarily making a trip.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Here's the steps @K E Gordon

1. go to your library2go site
    2. create your account just using your library card
    3. search for books by author or title, you can also use "filter", types of books, audio, epub (my Nook works with epub format).
    4. Books will have a "sample" or just read the "more about" section.
    5. Books will show either "borrow" or "put on hold". If they are available, instant check out up to 21 days usually. If on hold, it automatically alerts you email and you then download it.
    6. When the 21 days is up, the books are taken back by the system, no late returns to worry about.
    7. Best of all, you can check out up to 6 I think, possibly more if you want to.

The library2go sites can be a bit hard to navigate but I've got it down, so if you need help, please don't hesitate to let me know:) Denise

PS you probably know this, but you only need wifi, or internet connection to download and search, once the book is on your reader, you don't need wifi connection;)

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I donated many books and paper backs that I had accumulated over the years when I sold my home and moved into a apartment. The only book that I now have is "I phone for Dummies" every thing else has been on KINDLE. I love the lack of clutter and the convenience.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

That's one of the biggest pluses for me @Ren Tanner I've never liked clutter, and never wanted to have a library, not even a shelf full of books.

I have over a 100 books I've purchased from Barnes and Noble, all on my Nook. Thing is, when this Nook wears out, I still own all those books, and my library is backed up online in my account. I think I'll try a Kindle next, I don't know though, I'll have to do the research to see what new bells and whistles they all have:)

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet , you'll like the Kindle. After I read my first 100 books online, I started a list of those books. That way I could delete those that I knew I'd never read again, and clear the space on my Kindle.

You will also be able to put you favorite web sites onto the Kindle's main page. I used mine for online access for a good year before I got my first iPad.

Diane Lane and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Even if I delete my books I can still re-download them on my Nook. I have cleared off my Nook, but maybe I should because it isn't as fast as it used to be. I'm amazed at the battery in the thing, geeeeeeez. It lasts a long time for one thing, and it's never burnt out. I don't think you can replace the batteries in the Nook either:( I just am looking forward to something new. I do know, which I didn't think about earlier, the books are now in Epub format. So if I buy a Kindle, it has a different format, so I'd have to make sure the books I do own will work on it.

I do know I won't read books twice, never have. I always thought I could share them with someone, but no one I ever ran into wanted to get into that. I guess I am a bit into "collecting" after all, but my clutter is online at least, LOL!!