What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We took the wall down that divided two bedrooms and made a library that runs the width of the house, one with sixteen windows, with floor to ceiling bookcases along one wall, and a few more in the center of the floor, and they are filled.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I would be in awe of that @Ken Anderson I think if I'd been settled, in a home of my own, it would be nice to have a "study" where you could just go grab a book off the shelf:) I moved so much, and did have a few books, which just got heavier, and heavier to move around with:(

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I got over collecting books when my extensive library was lost in a home fire. The insurance rebuilt the house, but there was no replacing the library. I was crushed, and I realized just how much money I had wasted, which I truly couldn't afford.

That was when I learned not to care for material things so much. But I still get up every morning, and while I have my coffee I read at least an hour. I read probably 10 to 12 hours a day, and have since I was about 7. I do admit that SOC takes up some of that time.

Diane Lane and Denise Evans like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh, but surely time spent here is not wasted.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

I think reading is a good hobby, and I love it. I am trying to expand my reading choices to some non-fiction, but I'm kinda into the senior sleuths or at least mysteries of some sort right now;)

I never had a lot, but what I did have I lost along the road of life. I too realize though, that material things are not so important. At least not all I "thought" I needed;) I am populating my little apartment with odds and ends, but I am taking my time, a little something each month/payday. I'm looking for some things that will bring color and comfort into my home. It's fun, and I like shopping on Ebay. I also still love to hit the thriftstores. Cozy is how I want to feel when I come home. A house is just that until we get our own "touches" added here and there;)

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never heard of Library2Go, I'm going to check that out, thanks @Denise Happyfeet. I have set up HooplaDigital, but haven't used it yet to borrow anything. I still have probably at least 10 books to read once I finish the trio I'm working on. It's getting to be somewhat cooler, so I'll be able to sit outside and read soon, and that will be nice.

Ina I. Wonder and Denise Evans like this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I read when I am in the mood, and it isn't every day really. Last night I could have read before I went to bed, but I opted to play an item search game on the kindle. I am going to the library today to use the wifi, and also since they have a paperback exchange there, I am bringing in 4 books and taking two. Geez, all these books that need to be dealt with..I honestly would like to keep most of them..

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

I haven't heard of Hoopla @Diane Lane ! Borrow books for your reader?? I'm going to check that one out;)

If you like what you see in library2go, be sure to let me know if you need help setting things up, and navigating the site! I started my new book in another series by Dani Pettrey. Her first series I read, or the 1st I read I mean, was Alaskan Courage, there are more now I see in that series, just not in the library, yet;) Her books (the digitals) are pretty reasonable, although depending on finances of course;) I look for books on my own, but I also use cozy-mysteries.com for ideas, it's a blog, but I list all the authors that appeal to me, then I go and search my library2go. There are plenty that have books to borrow!! Yeehaw!!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet It's Hoopla Digital, here's the link. I posted about it a while ago in this thread, but the thread has grown quite a bit since then. It works off your library card, and is free. In addition to ebooks and audio books, they also have movies, music, TV shows and comic books.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Great, you got my attention. I've still have never listened to a audio book. But I hope to soon, as soon as I can bring myself to bug @Yvonne Smith to help me figure out how to.

I think I would like to do that while doing my weaving. My mind gets into trouble if I let it just drift. I think that is why I have read so much in my lifetime. My imagination can go places it shouldn't if I don't herd it in the right directions.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

The country area I grew up in has many of my school friends still living there. One couple I stay in touch with recently took their "now grown" kids, and grandchildrens playhouse they built for them, and gutted it out, put it out on the road that runs by their place, and filled it with their many books. Now people stop and borrow books!! I thought it was such a nice idea, especially for country folks that have to drive a ways to get to stores or libraries;)

Ina I. Wonder and Diane Lane like this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

This is just like library2go?? I didn't think there would be two of these things for libraries, but maybe it's what your area uses? Anyway, same deal, don't know which "program" is better or if they are very alike;) I'll read further and see what the deal is. One could be local government owned, and one maybe private, I'll check it out;)

13. Denise Evans

Registered

There are tons of the books I check out, that also have audio format! They are great, I've tried a couple, but I need earbuds for my reader as the volume isn't real good on it;)

14. Denise Evans

Registered

True, same as library2go. I know it's a country program. And the one I belong to is encircled by the Oregon Library Consortium. Probably get the identical books though. All free, just like going to the library only wayyyyyyyy easier;)

15. Denise Evans

Registered