What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think she was mentioned in another thread. She apparently is different than her dad, but carrying on the family tradition.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm currently reading comics again that I liked as a young boy and find it quite entertaining and revealing. It's interesting to be reminded of and rediscover the same scenes and characters I liked 50 years ago and to compare my understanding of that time with what I understand now.
    This comic series was about the only one available when I was a child. It was difficult to get hold of and actually almost too costly when you were really needy as I was. They were being exchanged among young boys who used to consider them precious.
    Contentwise it had some educational value since it introduced readers to basic and important parts of history such as life at the age if chivalry, the middle ages, the Roman Empire, etc. Before reading the series I hadn't heard of the migration of the peoples, of inventions like the steam engine, German scattered regionalism, breakthrough experiments like Otto von Guericke's hemispheres experiment and many other things.
    I'm glad that as a retiree I now have the time to explore my life as a kid again to some extent.
    Runkel.jpg runkel2.jpg
    Runkel3.jpg runkel4.jpg

3. Don Alaska

Registered

I have now moved on to de Tocqueville's work on Democracy in America.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have only just started Chief Joseph.& the Flight of the Nez Perce by Kent Nerburn. I'm not expecting this to be a happy or easy read but I hope it will be interesting.

I finished the book about the California Channel Islands. It was a little dry at times but still very interesting and I'm going to hold onto the book.

5. Don Alaska

Registered

I have started Spark of Life by Remarque. I had never heard of the book, but I am familiar with the author, of course. I don't know if I will be able to complete it. I thought it was about the German Resistance during WWI, but it has started in a concentration camp with the horrible things happening there. Written by a German author in German in 1952. Have any of you read this?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

No, until you brought the book up, I hadn’t even seen it.
    That said, you interested me enough to look it up and read the synopsis and also read a couple of passages.
    It’s fiction but it does sound as though it would be a good pick especially if a person loves to read about mankind and his struggles through extreme hardship just to retain his link with humanity.
    It read as though hell might be a sort of paradise compared to what those gentlemen went through........

I think you’ll make it to the end my friend but even if you do not, I pray that you still come away with something positive.

7. Don Alaska

Registered

I don't know if you have read Remarque @Bobby Cole, but he doesn't write happy books. His most famous was All Quiet on the Western Front, but I also read his The Road Back which was about the abandonment of the German troops in the field after WWI. That book described the terrible struggles of the troops trying to find their way back home in the devastation that followed that war. It is all fiction, but it is based on the experiences of real people.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

No, I haven’t read anything by him, but after a little more research added to your renderings, I’d be more apt to wait for the screen adaptation.
    My reading for the last 25 or so years has been limited to pure research so even something based on truth is put on the back burner for another time or when it comes out on screen for a two hour viewing.

I’m a kind of person who looks for the benefit or rather, a redeeming quality in what I read or view which is why I said that I have hopes you can walk away with something positive about the book.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

All Quiet on the Western Front, The Road Back, and Three Comrades are ones that I have read by Remarque. It's been a while. I don't remember now, though, whether it was the writing that I liked or that they were written by a German, whereas most of what we had was written by Americans. I have since read several other books, true accounts, written by Germans about their experiences during the war, although these were mostly World War I, whereas Remarque wrote about World War II.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Registered

In reading Bonhoeffer's biography, he said the original film made of All Quiet on the Western Front changed his life. I don't believe I ever saw the original movie made in the 1920s.

11. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, I was wondering what you mean when you say that Remarque wrote about WWII? In which book did he do that? Or do you mean writing about an NS torture camp as in Spark of Life is basically writing about WWII?

Don, I read All quiet on the Western Front which is a bit biographical in as much as he himself was a soldier on the western front in WWI in contrast to Spark of Life which is purely fictional because Remarque was no inmate of an NS torture camp. Yet there are books written by former inmates of those.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm really into Western Stories now!

My wife gave me the collection of Louis L'Amour Short Stories, Volume 1, for my 82nd Birthday.

I can usually finish a story during a visit to the Bartholomew. He really describes his scenes in great detail!

I haven't tried Zane Grey yet, but I'll look for his "Riders of the Purple Sage" when I visit the Library.

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I wrote it backwards is all.

14. Don Alaska

Registered

I noted in one place that he commented on several Jews who had been decorated heroes in WWI ending up dying in the camps in WWII. I wondered if he mentioned it because he knew them. He also commented that, like the blacks in the U.S. military in WWI, Jews had to be really exceptional warriors in order to receive recognition.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

I use War and Peace as a warm-up read before going on to "The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire".

Hal

16. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

17. Hal Pollner

Registered

On a recent rerun episode of M*A*S*H, high-born Major Winchester said that Zane Grey was like Tolstoy with spurs!

I chuckled.

Hal

Ken Anderson likes this.
  18. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reading U Boat Wars in the Atlantic

19. Hal Pollner

Registered

When President Truman's military adviser presented him with a 28-page report consisting of plans for the final attacks on Japan, he said:

"I don't like to read long reports; just tell me what I have to know."

Hal

20. Hal Pollner

Registered

The original edition of Samuel Clemens "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" had been banned for some time because of a racial slur.

Hal

21. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just started 'The Long Walk' by Slavomir Rawicz ( not to be confused with the story by Stephen King )

First part is his journey to 'camp' in Siberia.

The story is about his escape, a one year journey, walking through China, the Gobi Desert,
    Tibet and over the Himalayas to British India.

Like stories such as 'Papillon' and 'The Teaching of Don Juan', you the reader must decide how
    much of it is true.

True or not, it is a 'page turner...'

22. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And I will add that 'Papillon' and ' The Teaching of Don Juan' are two of my 'reread' books that I own.

23. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Coincidentally, I happen to be re-reading that book. I'm not sure it's an original copy but it has the original words. It uses the N word. It may be politically incorrect now but I don't think African American would have the same effect in the book.

I'm also reading "Liars, Leakers, and Liberals: the case against the anti-Trump conspiracy" by Judge Jeanine Pirro. Fascinating stuff.

Don Alaska likes this.
  24. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

Just started a James Patterson Alex Cross mystery, "Four Blind Mice".

Very good so far.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  25. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Active Member
    Registered

Just started reading a book called Elizabeth Street. I was born and lived there. It is part of little Italy and I remember it well. I am interested in learning how it was populated by Italians, the mafia, and general life on that block.

Frank Sanoica likes this.