What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think she was mentioned in another thread. She apparently is different than her dad, but carrying on the family tradition.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Active Member
    Registered

I'm currently reading comics again that I liked as a young boy and find it quite entertaining and revealing. It's interesting to be reminded of and rediscover the same scenes and characters I liked 50 years ago and to compare my understanding of that time with what I understand now.
    This comic series was about the only one available when I was a child. It was difficult to get hold of and actually almost too costly when you were really needy as I was. They were being exchanged among young boys who used to consider them precious.
    Contentwise it had some educational value since it introduced readers to basic and important parts of history such as life at the age if chivalry, the middle ages, the Roman Empire, etc. Before reading the series I hadn't heard of the migration of the peoples, of inventions like the steam engine, German scattered regionalism, breakthrough experiments like Otto von Guericke's hemispheres experiment and many other things.
    I'm glad that as a retiree I now have the time to explore my life as a kid again to some extent.
    Runkel.jpg runkel2.jpg
    Runkel3.jpg runkel4.jpg

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have now moved on to de Tocqueville's work on Democracy in America.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have only just started Chief Joseph.& the Flight of the Nez Perce by Kent Nerburn. I'm not expecting this to be a happy or easy read but I hope it will be interesting.

I finished the book about the California Channel Islands. It was a little dry at times but still very interesting and I'm going to hold onto the book.