What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks. I hope you can remember.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In the past year, I have taken to reading lesser-known memoirs of people who participated in the Civil War, or who lived in pioneer days, moving West, or settling in the Dakota, Wyoming, etc. The war memoirs of generals are often better written or polished, but I prefer those written by regular soldiers who fought in the war, on either side. I also enjoy reading stories by people who wrote about growing up in one little town or another, in various parts of the country. Many of these can be found on Kindle for free or at very low costs.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think so but I often find when reading something I discover I have read it before at some time. I' check it out. Thanks.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It was just released in 2017 I think, Bill...

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Patrick McManus grew up in the same little north Idaho town where I grew up , @Holly Saunders , although he is a few years older than I am. However, when he wrote about places he used to ride his bicycle or go camping, I usually knew just about where he was talking about; so that made his wonderfully hilarious stories even better for me.
    I think I probably already wrote about how I first learned of Patrick McManus; but just in case someone has not read that post, here is the story again.
    In 1988, I had a badly broken leg from a horse-back riding accident, and was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks (the first time).
    It was one of the worst pains that I have ever gone through, and they kept me pretty loaded up with a pain-killer, especially when it was time to move my leg or change the bandages (the leg was popped almost in half, so there was also a large wound besides the breaks in the bones).

After a few days, I was doing a little bit better and thought I wanted something to do besides just lay there, like maybe reading a book.
    My one friend, Joy, brought me the “Ten Translation Version of the Bible” to read.
    I could barely focus enough to read a comic book; so there was NO way that I could even begin to read something as complicated as the Bible that she brought me.
    When I explained this to my other friend, Norma; she brought me in a Pat McManus book to read and said it belonged to her husband, John, and he was sure that I would enjoy this book.
    I laughed so much I almost rolled out of my hospital bed, and it was a good thing that it had side rails on it !
    After that, I found more Pat McManus books and read them, although I have not read all of his books; but I have enjoyed every one that I did read, and definitely recommend him as a great story-teller.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I've just started "Song Of The Lion" by Anne Hillerman. It's the third in her series continuing her dad's mysteries.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I once had a friend who banned McManus from her bathroom and bedroom, It was banned from the bedroom since when her husband read it in bed, the bed shook so much from his laughter that she couldn't get to sleep, when he read it in the bathroom, her would sometimes fall off the toilet.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Is that Tony Hillerman's daughter?

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Don Alaska Yes it is. She has gotten mixed reviews, certainly more favorable than not. I saw one Amazon reviewer state something like "she's not her dad, but then again she doesn't have to be"

Was her dad a better writer? I think so but I'm enjoying her books also and I've read the previous two and the forth has just been released.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I really liked Tony's books. They sometimes made me think about moving to the Southwest. One of my friends here is an old native guy (Apache, I think) who worked in the oil fields here since the '70s and he apparently was a acquaintance of Tony Hillerman's. There is no reason, as the reviewer said, for her to be her father. I'm sure it took years for the old man to perfect his craft. Then again, she may be just trying to benefit from her father's reputation. I will be anxious to hear what you think of her writing.

12. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Don Alaska From what I have read, interviews and such, regarding Anne Hillerman, I never got the feeling she was trying to exploit or benefit from her father in any way. I believe she was a writer herself prior to continuing these books. I read where she said she was too distraught after her father's death but as time passed she knew people loved her fathers books and had been asked numerous times if these was a finished book by Tony Hillerman that was yet to be published and there wasn't. She wanted to continue the stories for the fans.

One criticism I read of her writing is that she doesn't get into the native culture as much as Tony Hillerman did and I can agree with this. Still I'm enjoying the books.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Over the past two days I finished reading Terri Blackstock's "If I Run" and "If I'm Found"...now I need to find "If I Live" to finish the Trilogy. Since this last one was supposed to be in Book Stores starting last month I just might have to wait a short while for the Library to get it. It's good reading though so I will get to it sooner or later.

This series is about a young woman who at 12 years old came home and found her father (a cop) had hung himself in their home. It was said to be suicide but the young woman does not believe it was yet the things she saw that would prove it wasn't have all been "erased" from the evidence. Someone does not want her to uncover the truth here...and they stop at nothing to keep her from revealing it. Even murder.

There's a little bit of everything in this Trilogy and I'm hoping the third book will end up with a "happy ever after" ending for this young woman.

14. Yvonne Smith

I just bought the ebook version of “How Not to Die”, which is all about the benefits of plant-based eating, and started to read that last night. This book was written by Dr. Michael Gregory, and was inspired by his grandmother who was sent home to die at age 65.
    She was able to be accepted into a program that was especially for people that doctors had given up and and were considered terminal, and everyone in the program wasput on a plant-based diet, based on Dr. Pritiken’s diet.
    In a short time, his grandmother had not only recovered; but was out and walking several miles each day ! She lived for (if I remember right) another 30+ years after that, and was in her 90’s when she died.
    As a doctor, Gregory wanted to help people like his grandmother had been helped; but he discovered that doctors were given a very limited course in nutrition, and were taught to focus on treating the symptoms rather than stopping the disease that was causing the problem in the first place.
    As a nutritional doctor, he has traveled all over this country, helping people and speaking at hospitals with other doctors about the importance of nutrition, and now has his own website as well.
    Even if a person has no thought of adopting a plant-based diet, it is still important to learn about the healing power of these foods, and include more of them into our diet.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

For anyone who has never heard of Pat McManus, here is one of the short articles that was written by Pat about the fine art of “crick fishing”.

http://www.finefishing.com/1flyfish/humor/howtofishcrick.htm

Don Alaska likes this.