What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I just finished The Terminal List by Jack Carr. The story involves navy seals and is a story of revenge.
    My grandson sent it to me in the form of amazon kindle books. One heck of a story. Theree are three
    books in this series, I'm now reading the second book, True Believer, which I recently started started.
    I suppose I would not have read either of these books had my grandson not gifted them to me. Hope-
    fully one day I will read the third book.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm reading The End of Watch; book 3 of a Stephen King Trilogy.

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm reading 98.6 F.

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

This morning I've been reading Vox news. Some intelligent comments in there. And somewhere I saw an interesting article by AOC. She makes a good point about our future political future. I didn't know about Vox but heard them on TV this morning, thought what they were saying about our political devide made sense.

Also read some of Fox news front page comments. I guess I'm sort of a political junkie bent a little bit to the liberal side. You know political parties used to have these divisions with in the party, divisions like our country is involved in now. Always back then considered myself a conservative democrat. Now it's conservative against liberal. All democrats are not excessively liberal and I suppose all conservatives
    are not so right wing they can't talk to or about anything unlike themselves. I am beginning to feel if the left and the right can't talk to each other, if we continue to think it's my way or the hiughway and all segments can't participate in a meaningful way, if we can't overcome these traits, maybe the country
    ought5 to go to hell and allow some other country; China, Russia, India, Germany, Australia or some other country to assume the role of super-power. If we can't overcome our internal problems, we don't deserve the title or any title. The are thought I'm beginning to have, not of course, that anyone will agree.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, I have never been affiliated with either party and always tried to support the candidates I believe have the people's best interests at heart. I'm a conservative, but I don't toe the line of conservative values. (For example, I support a woman's right to choose in the abortion debate.) I voted for the Clintons (yes, both of them :eek:) and I absolutely could not stand George W. Bush nor Obama. So I'm a political mixed bag.... mongrel?? :D

China is/will be the next superpower whether we like it or not, and we provided the means for them to get there. I'd love to see some Trump policies continued, like building the wall and enforcing the immigration laws already in effect, but now I wonder if we will be borderless and the invasion will continue worse than ever. It makes me sad to see the fabric of our country so tattered, with illegals on every corner proudly waving the flag of the country they fled. So anxious to get here and turn our country into the dump they ran from. Sorry if this sounds nationalist or even racist, but I don't want to read road signs in Spanish and I believe in the sovereignty of this nation.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I am now reading another book about Louie Zamperini. What a guy. This one is much more personal.

7. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the tip. I have to read this book. I'm looking for an etext.

8. Bill Boggs

Registered

I’ve been reading two or three books a week. Just started a modern day mystery set in the state of Maine, entitled, The Sheriff.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My whole family was into the God books by Neale Donald Walsch. I looked at them but didn't like their format. He then wrote What God Said. It consolidated the info of all the previous books. It helped me realize religions--not understand them but realize is the best way I can put it. I go back to this book occasionally, especially now.

10. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I am re-reading few chapters of The Quixote (Cervantes)...it will never cease to amaze me how ""actual"" is this novel .

Bill Boggs and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm currently reading A Promise Land by former President Obama

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

^^^^^Why?^^^^^

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I was asking myself the same. :)

Ken Anderson and Shirley Martin like this.
  14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

See...sometimes I want to believe people read certain books to reaffirm their negative opinion of the subject / author. :)

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh. OK.

Frank Sanoica likes this.