What Are Your Thoughts On Artificial Intelligence?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Dwight Ward, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah, I saw that too. The companies producing these things are leftist and the sites they probably rank as highest for information are even more leftist. It’s kind of like Wikipedia, useless for anything political or cultural but if you’re sticking to purely technical stuff, it’s not too bad. I try to avoid Wikipedia in search results.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

AI can be good or bad it depends on who programs it. Like ourselves the knowledge you have cause the direction you go. Or the old computer statement garbage it garbage out.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup.

The idea is that AI can "learn" from "experience," but someone has got to program it's original "worldview." The process that is used to evaluate new data and to determine "true" from "false" relies on The Creator.

Regarding that article I cited...I'd say that the AI results are more biased than a generic search engine, which might have a bias in prioritizing results, but for the most part it does not filter them out. AI does not say "Here is some data, go forth and decide," it says "This is the answer."

We've gone from relative bias to absolute bias.

Ken Anderson and Martin Alonzo like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I use Wikipedia a lot and, for most things, it's a good resource. But for anything political, or where obscuring the facts might advance a leftist agenda, the facts will be obscured.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Leading technologists call for a 6-month pause in training advanced AI, warning of doomsday scenarios

"A group of technology industry executives and academics have signed an open letter calling for at least a six-month pause on large, open experiments with artificial intelligence.

Companies researching AI are “locked in an out-of-control race to develop and deploy ever more powerful digital minds that no one — not even their creators — can understand, predict, or reliably control,” the letter reads. “If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium.”

The letter warns of potentially apocalyptic scenarios."

SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, IBM chief scientist Grady Booch, stability AI CEO Emad Mostaque and tech ethicist Tristan Harris all signed the letter, which was released Wednesday morning. https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-several-other-technologists-174444825.html

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Ethical discussions--although always called for--are never had.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reminds me of "Doctor Strange Love and how I learned to love the bomb"
    Peter Sellers role of the US President and also the wheel chaired dooms day bomb. Sounds like biden doesn't it. What a great all star cast Bert Lancaster, Peter Sellers, so many I cannot remember the names due to my own aging but if you never watched it give it try. A tongue in cheek movie comedy but very entertaining.

Another Peter Sellers great......... I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!
    Makes me feel young again seeing all these movie titles :D

8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Ok Seniors Brainiacks, tell us...about 15+ yrs ago while I was dabbling in the U.U. Church, I attended a workshop with a bunch of brainiacks and AI was brought up...I had no clue....now every day it's discussed on my news sources.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...ore&cid=20230408&cid=DM1378233&bid=1767165766

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    • OpenAI’s ChatGPT is the most rapidly adopted tech platform in history, acquiring more than 1 million users in the first five days. Less than two months after its public release, it had more than 100 million users
    • ChatGPT uses machine learning to generate human-like responses in everyday language to any question asked
    • While AI platforms like ChatGPT are neutral in and of themselves, it’s clear that they will soon become an integral part of the globalist control grid. In short order, chatbots will replace conventional search engines, giving you only one purported “correct” answer. As a result, true learning, and hence personal development, will essentially cease
    • Dangerous bias is only the beginning of the problems that artificial general intelligence (AGI) might bring. Ultimately, even the technocrats that aim to use AGI for their own nefarious purposes might not be able to control it
    • Already, AGI is capable of writing near-flawless computer code. As it gets better, it will eventually start writing, and potentially rewriting, its own code. AGI poses an existential threat to humanity because 1) no one will be able to contradict the AI once it’s in charge of most societal functions, and 2) no one will be able to control how it will use its ever-expanding capabilities

Is this all for real or more fear tactics we're given daily.

9. Thomas Windom

Registered

No brainiac here but it’s real. This is why Musk and a few others are raising alarm bells, why a couple universities are banning it or trying to. ChatGPT is now in a new iteration called GPT4 and Google is pushing their own version called Bard. I managed to connect with ChatGPT a few weeks ago. It took a while because so many people are trying to access it. I thought is was pretty slick.

As of right now, the answers you get are similar to what you could get by doing numerous searches and pooling the information together from many results and presenting it in an essay type answer. However, ChatGPT can do that in seconds rather than the hours or days it would take us. Also, it can do it for just about any topic that’s available in the public domain, law, poetry, physics, medicine, music, computer programming, etc.

My thought is that we are at the very beginning of the next revolution in information. Not sure where it’s going yet but it appears it will soon be able to replace a lot of human jobs. The comment about writing its own code is where some of the alarm is originating. Once A.I.s start writing themselves, it’s very possible we could lose control over what they’re doing because they could modify and improve themselves so fast we would have difficulty following. A.I.s are excellent at picking out correlations and patterns which are basically invisible to us mere humans, so it might write code for itself, improving functions we would not even be able to notice from our point of view.

Edit: There’s an old movie that was way ahead of its time that deals with this topic. It’s called “Colossus, the Forbin Project”. Well worth a watch if you can find it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Thanks and sorry I posted in the wrong area....And Musk has to get into it all.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

12. Thomas Windom

Registered

I don’t know the answer to that, about inadequate computer infrastructure. I got the below from Wikipedia. I’m not sure it takes a lot of A.I.s to have a major impact. ChaGPT was responding to millions of users within several weeks of its launch. Although, from the below text, it looks like it requires super-computer support, a handful of A.I.s like what we’ve been seeing could have a huge impact. Humans could spend hours or days searching the web, collecting data, before organizing it into some coherent form for use. A.I.s can do that in seconds. It’s really hard to know what the impact will be, how much more can be done. I have a feeling these big tech companies will survive better than a lot of banks and ordinary folks. OpenAI mentioned below is the actual developer of ChatGTP IIRC.

What I do know is that things are sure getting interesting.

“ChatGPT initially used a Microsoft Azure supercomputing infrastructure, powered by Nvidia GPUs, that Microsoft built specifically for OpenAI and that reportedly cost "hundreds of millions of dollars". Following the success of ChatGPT, Microsoft dramatically upgraded the OpenAI infrastructure in 2023.[13]

OpenAI collects data from ChatGPT users to train and fine-tune the service further. Users can upvote or downvote responses they receive from ChatGPT and fill out a text field with additional feedback.[14][15]

Although the core function of a chatbot is to mimic a human conversationalist, ChatGPT is versatile. For example, it can write and debug computer programs;[16]mimic the style of celebrity CEOs and write business pitches;[17] compose music, teleplays, fairy tales, and student essays; answer test questions (sometimes, depending on the test, at a level above the average human test-taker);[18] write poetry and song lyrics;[19] emulate a Linux system; simulate an entire chat room; play games like tic-tac-toe; and simulate an ATM.[20] ChatGPT's training data includes man pages and information about internet phenomena and programming languages, such as bulletin board systems and the Python programming language.[2]”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChatGPT#:~:text=ChatGPT initially used a Microsoft Azure supercomputing infrastructure,,that reportedly cost "hundreds of millions of dollars".

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Whoever programs the initial data into the AI, and then the AI Itself, decides what answers we are to be given, if not which questions we're allowed to ask, kind of like what the Big Tech companies have been doing all along, and both Bing and Google are replacing their search with AI to ensure that our choices will be limited.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

Yup. It's a way to firewall off the underlying data (to the extent such data is valid) and just give us "The Answer."

I mean, how stupid are we???? <<<That is a rhetorical question. I really don't want to know the answer.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered