What Did You Learn In School That You Still Find Useful?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Thomas Stearn, May 14, 2019.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson,

I "" re-learned"" English (which I knew since I was 10 y/o). Of course I had to study Spanish since is the official language of the other country (all levels / literature) and French. I wanted to improve my Italian (which I manage quite well) but I was told to learn it privately. See, the HS in Argentina is only five years. No time.
    The learning of these languages was a big help when I visited Europe, Australia / New Zealand....and....believe it or not....my Italian was of great help in Singapore......where I translated for an Italian couple. You never know.

BTW: Languages should be taught since grammar scdhool.

2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

"Ken Anderson,

I like your answers...a lot. Unfortunately, what you and I suggest is not what the big shots want.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I learned reading. Writing and arithmetic are almost not necessary with computers. I took French which I use very little now. But I had my oldest take Japanese and sent her off on an exchange program which she enjoyed. I told her to help some customers at her father's factory who were there from Japan, later, She said MOM I speak teenage girl Japanese! Not manufacturing!:D But she picks up languages very easily, like my older brother. I? not so much. I learned to respect my elders, to be polite. Later I learned I could pick up and throw people if need be.:rolleyes: Not so much now. But I can relate to people in a civil manner if needed. Sadly, college was a waste of money.
    I miss my encyclopedia and my three volume dictionary.

4. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

How to speak correctly ….and say Yes …not yahhh …or nahhh :)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have taught paramedic courses at the bare minimum necessary for someone to be eligible to sit for the certification test, as a certificate course through a college, and as the program chairman of a state college offering associate and bachelor degrees in paramedicine, and I can tell you that at least three-fourths of the courses that someone had to take to get a degree in paramedicine had nothing whatsoever to do with being a paramedic, and would not have made them better paramedics than those who had opted for a certificate course. Most of it was filler nonsense required to qualify as a degree course.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024 at 9:01 PM
    Mary Stetler likes this.