What Do You Mean I Have It Wrong?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Jenn Windey, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

A friend of mine asked me at work if I recalled the name of the bear family in the children's books. Of course I did- I used to read these to my son all the time. They were the "Berestein Bears" Nope that is not correct. Evidently I have a false memory or worse yet we have fallen into some parallel universe. If you remember this the same way I did go ahead and Google that name. Surprised? I was. I wonder what else I remembered wrong? Here is a good article on this phenomenon. Evidently I am in good company on what I thought I knew

http://www.vice.com/read/the-berens...ced-the-internet-there-are-parallel-universes

All I can tell you for sure is I know I have some of these books in the attic somewhere and I will find them. On second thought maybe I shouldn't bother. I am sure the discovery will make me question many other thoughts I hold as true.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I think their names were Papa, Mama & Baby Bear???:confused:

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, it depends on what books your friend is talking about. If it's Godilocks and in the Three bears, the family never actually had a name. Now if your friend is talking about the book series about a family of bears then I have news for them you were right. The name of that family in Children's books is the "Berestein Bears". I don't know of any other well known books dealing with a family of bears as key characters other then these.

4. Jenn Windey

Registered

I think Joe is just being silly- but I can see where it can be confused with Goldilocks or Yogi and Boo Boo.

@Hannah Davis Nope that is not their name. I was positive that it was the right name but it appears we are both wrong. Go ahead and Google the name and you will see what I am talking about. I have to say I have been on the internet a very long time and usually things do not bother me but this actually left me pretty rattled because I am so sure that I had it remembered right. I recall reading the stories to my son when he was young and actually having him read them to me as he learned to read. I swear I have a memory of teaching him how to say the name of those bears and do not think for one second I would have pronounced such an obvious spelling wrong.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a whole website about things like this, where some of us remember one thing and some people remember something totally different. The name of the bear family is definitely one of the things mentioned.
    Another thing is that many of us remember hearing that Nelson Mandela died in prison many years ago, rather than being released, and just recently dying not that long ago.

Another one that is interesting is about Billy Graham.
    I was sure that I read where he had passed away some years back, and other people even remember seeing pictures from the funeral on television when it happened.
    Yet, he is still alive , and those of us who thought he was already dead were very surprised to read that he was sick a few years ago.

So, you are definitely not alone in having these memories. I think that the webpage that I was reading as called "The Mandela Effect", or something similar to that.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Jenn Windey

Registered

Isn't it funny how when you think of famous people you have to actually sometimes stop and think if they are still alive? I would have said Billy Graham had died. occasionally someone will come up in conversation and I will need to check if they are alive or dead because I honestly don't know.

I think I was on the same website called or about the Mandela Effect, it was pretty interesting. Since I am seldom 100% sure about most things when I feel like I am sure and then find out I remembered something wrong I am surprised. I did see the explanation about the way it was in the TV topics and that does sound as a valid basis for remembering it wrong I guess. I just find it hard to believe that the shows creators would have allowed that to go on for any length of time. I do clearly recall reading spelling that on the TV schedule for years. It was one of the few morning shows my son was allowed to watch as a child.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

In today's fast world, being "out of the loop", is the same as being dead, for celebrities.;)

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that if we can confuse obvious things that the use of an idiomatic expression, it is very likely we confuse many other things.
    [​IMG]
    I used to be proud of my "infallible" memory until I began to realize it is not so infallible as I thought and I'm getting wrong things that used to be right, but I lost the exact perception of them through the pass of the years, or simply heard an already distorted version of the facts.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Tonite, as I was browsing through the videos that Youtube is sure that I will be interested in, I came upon one about the Mandela Effect, and that started me looking at some of the things that people remembered differently.
    Here is one of those videos, and the reason that I posted this particular one is because he seems to have a longer list of things that people remember different. (I stopped it to read every so often as we went along, and it is a long list).
    As far as I can gather, this person thinks that it is explained by people slipping into different realities or maybe alternate universes.
    Regardless of what causes this phenomenon, it is an interesting thing to speculate about. I think that some if the differences can be explained by how we learned something as a child, or thought we heard something pronounced, as for example the Sara Lee ad differences.
    But some of the things can not be explained away quite so easily, and still remain a mystery as to why so many people seem to have the different memories.

So watch it and see which ones you remember, and when.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Marianna Linke

Marianna Linke Veteran Member
    Registered

They are called the Bearnstein Bears if I'm not mistaken, and yes they were a bear family in kids books. I had a couple of the books when I was just a kid myself. I do know what you mean about being told that you have remembered something incorrectly. You could swear on a stack of bibles that your memory is not wrong, that it has to be the way you remembered it but in the end it turns out that there is a small but significant error in how you remember it maybe you have remembered the right thing but for the wrong date, that sort of thing. I'm not perfect, i wasn't when I was young and I'm not now. Nothing has changed. Only the expectations of me have changed.