What Do You Miss Most That You Used To Do But You Can't Or Don't Do Anymore?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss being really needed, being depended upon...my last shreds of being needed are almost gone.

My youngest grandsons are growing up...so with that comes a sense of loss of purpose in my life. :(

Being everyone's caretaker...not yet but in time I will be the one needing care.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I definitely understand this Chrissy. It's hard when that season of our life comes to an end.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that I miss a lot of things that I used to be able to do, I have almost always lived out in the country and had horses to ride and care for. Now, we live in town and I can't even have a backyard chicken, let alone a horse or two; but I do not have the physical strength necessary to take care of all the chores that have to be done when you live on a small farm.
    I have never had good balance, and never been a dancer like some of you have done; so that is not something that I miss. But I have always walked a lot, and enjoyed that, and now, I can't even walk around the block without being worn out and my heart floundering.
    I wear my fitness tracker, and yesterday, I walked over 3 miles; but it was done bit by bit, and not on one nice long enjoyable walk somewhere.
    Actually, even if I could walk longer, we do not live in an area where it is safe for me to do that; so I only walk back and forth to the little store when Bobby goes down there for something.
    But....... not so long ago, I could not even walk out to the mailbox; so when I think about that, I know that things are getting better, and I can enjoy what I still am able to do.
    I do much better when I think about what I can still do than when I grumble to myself about what I used to do that i can't do anymore.

4. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne, I love the last line in your above post....it says it all :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I miss being able to work as a paramedic. I enjoyed that, and it was worth the pay cut. There are people my age still working but after having suffered a strangulated hernia lifting a patient, I was concerned about that, and right now, I think I'd have a difficult time of it, anyhow. I am getting to be too clumsy.

So yeah, I miss being able to put something together without dropping the pieces onto the floor.

Bill Boggs and Babs Hunt like this.
  6. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I did the first cut on the lawn yesterday and boy oh boy was it tall. Miss not being able to do it in one swoop and getting it over and done with. Had to take a long, long break in between.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have noticed lately that I tend to drop very tiny things picking them up, I don't know why either. My hands never hurt and they aren't numb or anything...don't know the reason for this. Doesn't happen that often that I'm concerned but have noticed it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss scuba diving, golf --pickle ball--racquet ball--patanque--dancing--hearing

9. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

For the most part I am enjoying my senior years, even more so when I retire next year.
    My life at present is quite hectic, but it often means I can't do what I want.
    What I really want to do is find time to sit down and read more. I was an avid reader , but finding the time is not so easy at present.
    When, I finally retire , I will also spend a lot more time walking.
    Just having the freedom to get up and go, anywhere, anytime is what I am really looking forward to.

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ren Tanner , you named 4 things that I also miss.

Scuba Diving: It's an Eardrum thing with me.
    Golf: Left elbow and right knee ganged up to stop my game.
    Racquet Ball: I played every chance I could in my younger days.
    Hearing: yea, but its fun to watch the look on peoples faces as I
    do my lip reading thing...

Worse one now is the short-term memory loss.
    It's gett‌ing worst everyday.

11. I most miss being able to spend time with family/relatives/friends who are either deceased or in different locations. :(

Babs Hunt and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Ron La Fournie

Ron La Fournie Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hey Cody, I have arthritis in both hands and my left foot. It's not bad but I have learned that by putting my hands and fingers through full range of motion movements, I build some strength, and am better able to deal with the pain.

I question your comment that it is just part of aging and we have to accept it. Check out this Blog and the Aging Curve Video. You may find it interesting.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My pain is a nagging/achy type, not real bad at all. Mostly annoying. Have an appointment next month to get a Cortisone shot in the shoulder.

Am going to try some shoulder elastic-band exercises starting next week. A couple of times a week. If the shoulder starts hurting more, I will ditch the exercise thing.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss some things, but not due to age.I have been losing my hearing for over 20 years...not age realted.
    But because of my fading hearing, I have not been able to ride a bicycle, swim, even dancing my balance is not as good.
    So those are we what I miss. Life could be worse so I just deal with it.:)

15. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm an over weight seventy three year old who smokes a carton and a half a week. I still do almost every thing I did before except wear high heels. Some things may take me a little longer but I do them. I go with a couple friends once in awhile to the local pub and have some fun dancing and cutting up. I'm just lucky I guess.

May Benot likes this.