What Does Roast Duck Tastes Like

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Krissttina Isobe, Nov 28, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've only had duck at Chinese restaurants...Peking duck. I've had it many times. It is served with small "pancakes" (think tortilla wrapper but smaller) and plum sauce. These are the same pancakes they serve with Moo Shu Pork, if you've ever had that.

I was watching a Yan Can Cook episode about this dish. They somehow inflate the duck (after it's been butchered) to stretch the skin away from the body before they hang it out so the skin gets really dry. That way, it's very crisp & crackly when roasted.

I find duck to be very rich (the same with goose)...likely the high fat content. I really like it, but cannot eat as much duck as I can chicken.

2. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gosh do I love roasted duck, someone I used to know, always made a full meal Duck dinner
    for Christmas meal. It sure appeals to me, think I will actually consider baking one for Easter
    dinner this year :)

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Of all the things I have cooked in my life, I've never done duck.

Janine Coral likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't care for duck, either domestic and wild. What is worse is a greasy goose.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think a lot of people still eat duck, pheasant, and partridge, judging by the hunting seasons. I had all three several times when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything distinctive about the taste of either, although it's probably fair to say that I preferred chicken. I didn't consider these to be exotic, in any way, though. As mentioned, there was always the danger of biting into some shot, although mom did a pretty good job of picking most of it out. At the same time in my life, most of the fish that I had was caught rather than bought, so I had to watch out for fish bones, so cautious eating was a given. It's been decades since I've had fish with bones still in, however.

Although I was the only one in my family who didn't hunt, we didn't eat squirrels, raccoons, or even rabbits, although the land was abundant with them. I did have rabbit once, as an adult, but in a restaurant. I wasn't impressed.

Janine Coral likes this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There’s a nice local restaurant that served duck for a while. It was delicious but they haven’t had it on the menu for years now.

Janine Coral likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

for me NASTY, greasy, no likey it