What Movie Are You Watching Today?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night, watched Last of the Dogmen, with Tom Berenger, Barbara Hershey and Steve Reevis. We own this movie and love it.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby and I watched “Amadeus” for the first time.
    What a LONG movie !
    The sets and costumes were incredible, and it was amazing what went into a presentation of an opera back in those times, considering the little they had to work with compared with now days.
    As far as the movie went, I didn’t think that it was that great of a story line. It was kind of a short rendition of the life of Mozart , and it made him seem like he was just a little off, with an insane laugh/giggle that he did on way too many occasions.
    There really was not anyone in the movie that you could actually relate to, let alone feel a bond with, and although it sort of implied that he had been poisoned, it was only vaguely.
    It was over 3 hours long, and not something that I would sit through watching over again, for that length of time.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night I watched The Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere and Laura Linney. I had seen it before but I think it's worth another look. Purportedly "based on actual events."

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Yvonne Smith I was disappointed with Armadeas as well. It dragged on and on. If it weren't for all the fancy set designs and costumes, I probably would've given up on it after the first 30 minutes.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Today I'm watching "GULAG", about an American sports hero who was in Moscow to cover the Olympic Games.

While there, he was tricked into agreeing to smuggle out some technical information to the West, but was arrested and forced to sign a document saying he was a spy, and then tricked into boarding a train into Siberia to a Gulag, instead of being taken to the airport to fly to the USA as promised by a Lubyanka Prison official.

Life in the Gulag was hard, until he and 2 others escaped by using a variation on a magic trick!

You should see this!

Hal

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

I loved Amadeus, because I'm a classical music buff!

The composers full name was Wofgang AMADEAS Mozart.

Hal

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Watched Night Passage, the first episode of the detective series Jesse Stone starring Tom Selleck.

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

Today I watched one of my faves from my 400+ film collection: "Flight of the Phoenix" (1965)

Legendary aviation stunt man Paul Mantz was killed during its production.

Hal

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  9. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hal I too have a large film library. I like the convenience of feeling like a certain genre and simply choosing and playing it. One of the classics.. FOTP. The German actor..Hardy Kruger stole the show. Dicky Attenborough great as usual too.

I watched the latest War of the Worlds today. It is the UK production set in the actual time the book is.. Edwardian England. Pretty good special affects and well acted as most Brit stuff is.
    I have to admit my fave version is the 1953 original. I can still see those hovering Martian machines blasting everything with their green lasers.
    Sadly the WOTW franchise is now being done to death...

Bess Barber likes this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm totally enjoying the new Disney Plus streaming channel. The documentaries on the various phases of the Disney conglomerate are so interesting. I am really enjoying this new channel. There is a free 7 day trial if anyone wants to just check it out.

Craig Wilson likes this.
  11. Craig Wilson

Registered

I watched a terrific disaster film the other nite. Produced in Scandinavia it was a modern day depiction of an actual tragic event in the Norwegian fjiord region back in the early 20th century. Thousands of tonnes of rocks, snow and other debris slid into the lake causing a massive tsunami which smashed into several small lakeside villages. The special affects were outstanding as was the acting. I recommend this to those who love the disaster genre. It is titled The Wave. Not sure of its Scandinavian name. I have a clip if you want to see.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched RAGING BULL last night. One of De Niro's early films----Story of fighter Jake La Motta

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Craig Wilson

Registered

Seeing as tho it is nearing Christmas this movie is most apt. I watch a different version of this Dicken's classic every Chrissie time without fail.
    My fave version is the 50s one with the incomparable Brit actor Alistair Sim as the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge (below). I also enjoyed the George C Scott version. I understand the latest version has Australia's Guy Pearce in the Scrooge role.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

City by the Sea with Robert De Nero. He plays a cop whose son committed a murder.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Last night I watched the movie from the Tennessee Williams novel "Night of the IGUANA".

Great performances by Richard Burton and Ava Gardner, with the legendary John Huston directing.

Hal