What Music Are You Listening To Today?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Registered

Acccch... you're tone deaf obviously, mister hand clapper!! ;):D

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  3. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Memories! I was singing this song at the top of my young lungs and driving along in downtown San Francisco when I had my first auto accident. Distracted to say the least!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

Funny you should say that Michelle... well obviously not amusing but I was singing a song at the top of my lungs alongside my sister and the 2 guys we were with as teens...when the driver lost control of the car and hit a hundred year old tree head on. Sister went through the windscreen.. Unbeknown to me I was pregnant at the time , I suffered a dislocated shoulder but fortunately no harm to the baby

Like you say.. lack of attention coupled with inexperience.. we were lucky we lived, the car was totalled and the firemen had to cut us out!!

If I hear this song come on the radio when I'm driving even now..I turn it off in case history repeats itself!!

Sorry can't find a better quality video

5. Michelle Anderson

Registered

LOL! I do the same thing with Doctor's Orders. In fact, I had a hard time clicking on the video you posted, and I'm nowhere near a car!

6. Michelle Anderson

Registered

I'm listening to "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" by...well, just about everyone:

The Bee Gees

This song was written by Barry and Robin Gibb (and possibly Maurice Gibb) for Andy Williams, but they ended up singing it themselves, leaving Williams to sing a cover of it shortly after it became a Bee Gees hit.

Johnny Mathis

Al Green

I picked this video because we should always remember those fabrics we all wore at that time! Nor should we forget the width of those hems!

Seriously, Al Green's range was nothing to sneeze at! The first part of the "independent teenage years:eek:f my life had this man singing the soundtrack.

Cher

Warning: Some of the images of the diva are not pleasant, mostly because you just know an 80-year-old woman -- no matter who she is -- just shouldn't dress that way.

Teddy Pendergrass

Probably THE best singer in Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, his car crash in 1982 -- where he drove his Rolls Royce Silver Spirit across the guard rail and int not one, but two trees -- almost killed him and left him paralyzed from the chest down.

I still mentally scratch my head when I remember the news reports, which said that the woman (some say man) in the passenger seat was someone "he had not previously known." Anyway, Teddy returned to the stage in 1985 and recorded this song in 1991 He remained a singer until he retired, just before his death in 2010.

7. Michelle Anderson

Registered

Part 2 (Because the software will not allow more than 5 embeds in a post):

Michael Buble

This one sounds like the Bee Gees' arrangement, but then again, it doesn't. A little bit of Frank Sinatra's version, had he ever sung one?

Julio Iglesias

I'm partial to Julio, having gone with my mother to hear him during the early 1970s.

Diana Krall

By far the most different version of this song I've ever heard!

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

...although I know all those singers, I truly haven't heard ''How can you mend a broken heart'' other than from the Bee-gees.. However being a Bee-Gees fan I remember reading that after they wrote it, they initially offered it to Andy Williams who turned it down..

I had no idea about Teddy Pendergrass ' accident nor his mysterious passenger... wow!!...loved Harold melvin and the Blue notes tho'

Gonna go listen to Chers' version...

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

accch that version isn't available here..apparently, I'll go search for another rendition by Cher..

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've listened to snatches of them all... disliked Cher's version the most... out of all of them Michael Buble's version was the one I liked best but tbh.. no-one touches the Bee-gees with it IMO... except, Al green, who I think has an ease to his pitch which would have sounded better than Barry Gibbs' artificial strain on his vocal chords..

11. Michelle Anderson

Registered

Me too! In fact, there was about a 5-month period of time in my youth when the only records I would listen to were by the Blue Notes, Billy Paul, or Billie Holliday.

12. Michelle Anderson

Registered

I love listening to Michael Buble sing anything. He's not what I would have thought of as "my kind of musician," but he's easy to listen to. The fact that he's such a nice guy -- I mean REALLY nice -- helps.

Al Green's version is the same, but different from the Bee Gee's. He made it his own, even though he made it into almost a different genre.

I loved everything the Bee Gee's did before their dicso phase. Even "New York Disaster 1941," which I didn't really "get." And speaking of that song, here's a great video of the Bee Gees lookin for all the world like a Beatles cover band.

Oh no! I just can't help myself! "I've Gotta Get a Message To You." Is that a velvet ppirate suit??

Ok. Just this one more. Ed Sullivan obviously didn't know the name of the band in this one. And Barry got his teeth fixed!

Holly Saunders and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh that's exactly my thoughts too @Michelle Anderson , loved everything of the BG's..pre Disco phase... really couldn't and still can't abide grease, and night fever etc... but they wrote huige hits for so many people, and almost everyone a great song!

I always wondered why Barry got his teeth fixed and Robin didn't... but ultimately in recent years Barry had his teeth done again, and if you listen to an interview with him now you can hear how it's affected his speaking voice and not in a good way.

I'm not keen on Barry as a Solo singer now he's older.. his high pitch just seems more of a whine ...however, that said.. I have a passion for this one, and much as I'm not a huge fan of ricky Skaggs altho' I love country music .. I just love this and I think ricky carries him with this song..

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

There are GOOD Beatles songs, then there are GREAT Beatles songs...

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

What music am I listening to? Well dear hearts, I've been stuck on some North Korean kids who are, without a doubt, uh.....weird but extremely talented.
    If you wish go the whole gambit, start on YouTube by typing in Korean children playing the guitar.
    Then it should refer you to a bunch more but for now, here's a sampling of just one small girl playing a whatchamacallit.