What On Earth Am I Here For?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Answers you get when your Mom is Jewish:
    Me: (teenager) Do you think God created me for any special reason?
    Mom: (before she was old) Of course! Who else is supposed to take care of me when I get old?
    :p
    Moral of the story: Sometimes we make a big deal over purpose, when loving and nurturing our family should feel important enough.

2. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

On that fateful night I doubt if our parents reasoned, 'Have we the right to bring a human into the world who will ask, (What on earth am I here for) I suppose that, as a senior we know if we have contributed to or robbed our fellow beings.From a religious point of view God will make that judgement. He or she was responsible for you to be placed on the test journey. As an atheist I feel luck gave me the chance to enjoy joining the human race for the tiny time slot allocated.

Monica Rich likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Spoken like a true Octogenarian Atheist.

4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I often look around me, especially when I am traveling and wonder what all of us are doing here? I guess, I could go scientific and simply say that our kinetic energy just jumped in where it was possible, so who really knows? At any rate, I try to be kind and smile a lot and hope for the best for all in this world.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I do exactly the same thing... it's really hard for me to imagine that a higher being felt that every one of us ( particularly when travelling to other countries which are seriously overpopulated or third world )..and think we're all here for a purpose...

6. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

hmmmmm... if I were to be asked about my purpose my answer would be:

I'm here for you... and not just you.

If I've had any take-away from life (so far) it would be that by bringing comfort, accompaniment, and sometimes even gain - allows me access to whatever someone else has to offer. There have been times that I realized that I was in such a predicament that I just my have bought the farm and it is at that point and time (and there's been a few) when I realized that yes, if had happened, I would have been comfortable with dying.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Millions of people have already or currently are coming out of the indoctrination/brainwash FOG...it is impossible " to know and love" the No Show, Do Nothing trinity!

Definition of a Relationship; is two way communication back and forth between both parties. Two way back and forth doing things with and for each other ...the god/jesus/holy spirit is a one way relationship with people talking at/to themselves.. hoping, begging, wishing for blind eyes, deaf ears, diseased/damaged bodies , hungry stomachs, polluted air etc.. to be helped by the No Show Do nothing they talk AT. It is impossible to love who/what won't participate in the relationship.

There is no special purpose or meaning for life or a person, any person.

Except,
    making the best out of whatever situation you are born into, being the best person you can be in spite of your situation, helping others and the planet we live on as much as you possibly can along the way.

If every person would make that their purpose to life, think how much better life would be for everyone. Much suffering and many problems would be eliminated..no wasting time/energy/money (lots and lots of money) praying, begging, wishing, worshiping the No Show Do Nothing to do it for us.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Nancy Hart and Alan Sidlo like this.
  8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

@Monica Rich You obviously don't believe. Why do you get into a thread that talks about belief if you're going to denigrate those that do believe?

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems to me the Original Poster was welcoming all points of view.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes that's true. But if you don't believe do you really feel that you should denigrate those that do?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Point taken.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  12. Sunny Allen

Sunny Allen Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Asking "why" we exist is meaningless, as it's a human question on a human level. Having a reason for our existence would make sense only if a human, or humans, were in charge of the universe. The ultimate "meaning" of it all is so far beyond our understanding that we can't even begin to comprehend the subject.

I agree with those who say that all we can do is try to make the world a better, kinder place. On a common sense level, that gives our life "meaning." All the rest is conjecture.

Monica Rich likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm here to fill in my allotted space and time.

Hal

Al Amoling and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I am here because my mom and dad wanted me.

Monica Rich and Al Amoling like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am here because the earth was in need of perfection.

This thread actually poses a good question. While I do believe that God has a purpose for us, I believe that the purpose if for us, not Him. I don't believe that He needs us to achieve His purposes, but that He prefers to do things that way.

When we fail to meet whatever objective He might have put in front of us, He will give us another., but that there is probably a point where He realizes He's wasting His time.