What Part of the Country (or Which Country) Are You From?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I grew up on a series of farms in North Carolina. My parents were sharecroppers and we moved often. I was one of twelve children. We worked hard and didn't have a lot of things but, looking back, I have to say it was mostly a good life.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

We are happily living in Penn's Woods, USA, North of the Steel City! ;)

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I grew up in Wichita Falls, TX and I have lived in Texas most of my years except the last four when we moved to be near my son and his family in Oklahoma.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I first saw the light of day in the city of Oradea, which is situated in the Bihor county of Romania. I lived there until I was about 10, if I remember correctly, when my family managed to go abroad to North America. There, we were situated in New York, in a small apartment in Queens. My father had a job in a small grocery store, and my mother was a nurse for a few years, then she lost her job and she gave up on the job searching.

Now, I am back in Romania after a lot of decades spent there, and I think that I'll spend my remaining years on this Earth here, in my home.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in an apartmen in Makati City, the business hub of our country where the image of tall buildings is the landmark. Living in an apartment is not appropriate for growing children since I experienced staying inside the house most of the time. I would be doing my homework on weekends and in my spare time, I would be watching tv. There's not much to do because we have no garden and the only place I can go outside the house is the garage. It was fortunate for my brothers because they were boys who were allowed to play in the streets. But us girls, we just stay inside.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just an old farm boy from northeastern Indiana.

7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

An Iowa redneck.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Born in Argentina, grew up in Pittsburgh, married in Chicago, stayed in suburbs of Illinois and Indiana til my kids went off to college, then moved to Hungary for 6 years and now I'm living as a widow in Fresno, California.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:When I was growing up we lived in Pearl City when it was just a 2 way road to the country and to town. There was a cane field and every year they'd harvest it and best not to have your laundry out for the black ash would fly everywhere! I loved to see the cane field burning and it was done in a few minutes! Modernization and urbanization came to Pearl City. Supermarkets, more roads became highways with 3 lanes going both ways now. New H-1 freeway came up above us and all my neighbors had to move because of the new H-1 freeway was being constructed. Life was good when growing up for as children I had no problems and worries. New schools came up and the obsolete Pearl City Kai Elementary School gave way to Lehua Elementary School. Foodland Supermarket and Holiday Mart came in to Pearl City. Pearl City was built and so did the Pearl City Police Sub Station came up too. Now they are really Urbanites now when Walmart, Office Depot and Goodwill came in to town. We moved because the landowner's changed hands and our old buildings that we lived in, we moved there in 1941 about, had to come down. We moved and now live in another urban town called Kalihi. We live near Marukai Wholesale Mart where they sell Asain foods and more, so we can get our favorite foods just walking half a block. We like urban living. Bus stops everywhere, stores near by and a McDonald's near by too!

When my Grandparents were in business there was hardly any crime. Then I came along and crime was on the rise. They find bombs at churches, children carrying guns to school and kidnapping. A tourist died recently from purse snatching and dragging her with the purse, gruesome, but unfortunately true. This was the first victim that died of this crime already. As Hawaii became more urban crime became like everywhere else, worrisome. :(

Diane Lane, Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Born and raised in Chicago..Wife also...married in 1963 (52 years and counting) to present, 6 grown children, 13 (7F/6M) Grand Children and a new Great Grandson!!

Moved the family to Texas in the early 80's..Best move ever!!

Retired from trucking in 2008..

Frank Sanoica and Diane Lane like this.
  11. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Born and raised on a farm outside a small town in Central Kansas. Went to country school first three years. Third grade year, I was in third grade and there were two girls in second grade. Just the three of us. Closed the school the following year and sent us to "town school". There, we had about 15 in our class.

Six years old before we moved into our first home with running water. Outdoor toilet and a "thunder bucket" you used at night or if it was storming and you didn't want to go outside. Mom had a gasoline engine washing machine that sat out in the back yard. Two kitchen stoves... one wood, which took a long time to heat up. The other was fuel oil which stunk up the entire house.

Have lived our entire life in the State of Kansas. 59 of my 69 years has been within 40 miles of where I was born. We spent 10 years in the KC area, but moved back "home" in 1999.

I've had the opportunity to visit most every State except Alaska and Hawaii through my work. Still like Kansas since we see all four seasons and we have some really good people here. Now, if we could just get our Governor and State Legislature to ...... Oh, well. That's for another discussion.

12. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone ??? Post please...Inquiring minds want to know...

13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born in England, but I have both British and Irish passports and I've lived in Scotland for the past 23 years. Give or take a couple of years in Eritrea and a few months in Ethiopia and Ghana.

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born in Worcester England, moved around a bit to the south and the west, then back in Worcester with my family.

The city view with cathedral

g.jpg

Worcester is known for Worcestershire sauce, I live half a mile up the road from the factory and when they are making a new vat for bottling, the smell in the area is overpowering.
    gvggv.jpg

and Royal Worcester China, though the factory has closed now due to lack of demand, and is a museum.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in the largest city in Scotland , and since the age of 19 I have lived 20 miles north of Central London...in a tiny country village pop about 700 which borders a market town pop about 24,000

During the last 40 years I've lived and worked in several European countries including Italy, Germany and Spain. I have a second home on the Costa Blanca in Southern Spain.