What Type Of Well Water, Filtration Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jake Smith, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Oxylates are the problem, but when you drink a lot of tea and sweat out the liquid rather than eliminating it through urine, thus flushing things out, it can create an issue. It may also involve areas of the country with high mineral content in their water. The southern Midwest--southern Illinois, Missouri, etc. used to be called the Gout Belt because of urate/purine ingestion as well.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought the same thing myself regarding The Kidney Stone and the Gout Belts. As I said, my untreated well water brought my stones back with a vengeance. Lots of folks who are on springs or various types of wells (or even municipal systems) never test their water, much less treat it.

Regarding the body distilling the elements out of iced tea rather than passing them...I never thought of that. And the summers where it's consumed are hardly moderate. ("Sweet tea" is a topic for another conversation.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Diabetes and obesity....

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

And setting my teeth on edge.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We have town water. It's not awful, but we use bottled water for drinking. I don't mind making coffee with the tap water, but my wife doesn't even do that. When I lived in Southern California, I couldn't even see through a glass of tap water, so at least the stuff we have here is clear. We've used filters in the past, but for the last couple of years, we've been using bottled water and a cooler; well, it's not just a cooler because it has a hot water thingie, too, but no one uses that.

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I reread the title ..DAH …… …. IMG_1764.gif

we have what I call “river water” NOT well water ….our water comes from the huge Murray river system
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_River NO WELL WATER

where its filtered at https://watertalks.sawater.com.au/morgan-whyalla-pipeline-renewal and supplied to our area via pipelines shown in link .

is Australia's longest river at 2,508 km (1,558 mi) Its tributaries include five of the next six longest rivers of Australia.

Our area has no natural fresh water it travels about 210 km to get to us from the filtration plant at Morgan SA .

We also have about 10.000 ltrs of rainwater stored in various tanks we use to water our fruit trees and veggies
    Why ?..because the tap water is very expensive

7. John Brunner

I was thinking of getting a cooler that takes the 5 gallon jugs because my well water naturally has some salt, and the softener adds salt on top of that (takes it to 91mg/liter.) Not only is space an issue, but the 5 gallon jugs at Walmart are over double the per-ounce price of buying a case of bottles or the one gallon jugs...and I go through about a gallon of drinking/coffee water a day. So I buy 1 gallon jugs for my coffee maker (to keep the salt out of the heating elements), and I drink softened well water from the tap.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. John Brunner

So how is your sewage managed? Do you have septic systems, or is there a municipal treatment infrastructure in place?

Lots of folks in my region capture rain water for their gardens (or they rely on nature) because they want to conserve their well water. Car washes are big around here for the same reason.

9. Kate Ellery

Registered

@John Brunner
    Yes we have septic system

Think I’ve already mentioned somewhere / some time :):):) We live a newish estate ( area) and it was decided by the council at the time the landowner applied to the council cut the land into housing blocks ( it was wheat farming land )

that he would have the extra expense of laying extra infrastructure in the way of pipes to take away any water ( only ) overflow from our septic systems that would in turn carry that over flow to a planned ( at the time ) water recycle plant ….then that water would be piped to and used to water the planned construction of a 18 hole / further housing estate area that’s spitting distance from us.

All the land mentioned was owned by one person .

All the older areas of housing in my area had / have septic systems with drainage pits for overflow however it’s now Law that that any home owners in the older areas have been given a timeframe to do the same system as we have .

The original land owner of the area where we are ( was cut up as needed into stages ) we bought in stage 1 , think it has 6 stages with remaining land now owned by big corporate company and is being used to construct a gated retirement village ..

Many of the plans for golf course fell over and altho it has many homes it’s only ever had 9 holes constructed as the owners costs blew out and he went into bankruptcy .

The council now owns all the unimproved land in the Greg Norman golf course .

The recycle plant waters the golf course, there was a article in the local paper recently that the old town golf course 4 km away has applied to use some of water from the recycle plant to keep a bit of green going on the course in the summer months
    They mainly rely on rain , so it’s a dry ish looking golf course

The council empty our septic once every 5 years

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    John Brunner likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

11. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You needed to do this to that, Southern California water.

Just kidding, he just reversed the video, but it almost looks real. :)

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

...and when you play country music backwards you sober up, your girlfriend returns, and your dog comes back to life. ;)

13. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LOL, yeah you're right. It would be nice if cleaning it was as easy as that.

How about this one, John?

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

John Jake had them and it was no fun, the doctor told him not to eat chocolate or drink black tea. That was a long time ago, but he hasn't drank tea since.
    Hope the stones pass at doctors easily. They put Jake on lypocrisy mschine last time he had them and couldn't pass them.

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL, yes we do like our tea, but I gave it up years ago, it started hurting my stomach.

Jake Smith likes this.