Whatever Happened To Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Hannah Davis, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanksgiving Day 2015 is surely different than Thanksgiving Day 1985 but it's still an important day for most people. Though families are widespread and the majority of workers will be back at the daily grind tomorrow it is a day on the calendar that opens the holiday season and starts our minds turning towards being grateful for what the past years have brought, as well as grateful for the chance at a new day today. Instead of being disappointed that our children are spread across the country due to employment opportunity or in-laws we need to be grateful that our children are somewhere enjoying the opportunities that a life provides. Yes, I selfishly wish my son was here to baste the turkey or lift it from the stove but I have to look beyond that to see his smile when he does it for his wife this year. I will count my blessings at a solitary dinner of Turkey and Dressing and oh alright I admit no vegetables because no one is here to know I'd rather gorge on real food and leave the rabbit food to the rabbits. :) Happy Thanksgiving Day...

2. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes she did ,and I don't mind a bit. I wish everyone could have known her. She was a true woman of God, and she lived it every day without being preachy.

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

We're only having 6 this year (usually 12) and I confess that I'm looking forward to the smaller crowd. I've always hosted the Thanksgiving dinner here but this year it will be at my sister's. She'll do the turkey/stuffing/gravy/cranberries. I just finished making the mashed potatoes topped with fresh chives, mashed cauliflower (non-dairy vegan option), corn & pimento dish, fresh sweet potatoes in orange halves with roasted marshmallow on top, two homemade pumpkin pies with my Grandmother's flaky crust recipe, and one Bourbon-Pecan pie (with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream choices). My daughter is bringing fresh green bean casserole and a huge Kale salad. I love this! No stress this year! Oh, and I'm taking potted Pointsettias as a hostess gift for her holiday decorating.

My sister has a trail through her woods and we'll all take a walk after dinner. It's a beautiful day for this...sunny, clear blue skies, high of 65 degrees, no wind.
    I'm oh so grateful.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara, you reminded me of a tradition, when I was a teenager, at home (1960). After Dinner, the men would take a walk around the reservoir nearby, and the ladies put the kitchen in order. Not PC, today, but it was a great time talking with the men, as we walked together.
    [​IMG]

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Today the doctors at the VA hospital decided that my brother can go home. His knee replacement went well, and of course we are both happy that he is through one more of his surgeries.

If we can get out of here by noon, then it will be about a two hour drive to take him home, a couple of hours getting him settled in, and then another two hour or so drive to my home.

So all of you, please munch away, and have a bite for me too. I promise to verbally to help those that need coaching in their exercise program to loose those extra holiday pounds. :rolleyes::p

Have a blessed day.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Ina, glad to hear that your Brother is doing well,and headed home. I am off today, but if you get stuck, for a meal, I can deliver a couple turkey burgers!;)
    [​IMG]

7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I hope you are all feeling like little piggies about now. I am imaging all of you rubbing your tummies, except maybe @Terry Page. Do they have Thanksgiving in Russia?

I have been sitting in my car on the feeder road of Hwy. 59 just below Shephard, Tx.,waiting on AAA to come and change my tire. I am ashamed to say that I've never had to change a tire in my life. And these new wheels have some sort of a gadget that is in my glove box, that must be used with sort of power wrench to get the tire changed.

Then I'm headed to Lubby's to pick up a couple of dinners for my brother and I for this Thanksgiving.

Love yourselves, then love those around you.

8. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

Damn you normal, happy people!

Hope you had a good one as well. ;)

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminds me of the season of lent. Since the Philippines is a Catholic country, lent is a major holiday that starts from Thursday and ends on Easter Sunday. When I was a young girl, I would hear the chants in the neighbor's Passion Reading plus all other religious activities. But now, I see that people would spend their long weekend in beaches and resorts. I had seen the heavy traffic on the highway where most of the vehicles were headed for the resorts. It's summertime but that trip was not warranted since the holiday was for a religious purpose and not for enjoyment.

In the last decade, we had joined the club. We also do not observe lent that much. So I guess your Thanksgiving is becoming a gustatory holiday where the turkey is the star of the show and the pioneers are already forgotten.