What's Cheaper: Cheap Clothes Or More Expensive Ones?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I buy quality outdoor clothing, general speaking. ..but almost always in the sales.

I'll happily buy cheap ( but not cheaper quality)..underwear, tank tops (vests)... shorts etc... as long as they'll wash and wear more than a dozen times

Jeans and dresses I generally buy on the continent , the quality is far superior, and the prices cheaper
    Footwear I never stint on, I always buy the best quality I can, whether here or overseas... and I'm not hard on shoes so they last me for years, especially as I have such a wide variety and never wear the same pair 2 days running!!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

As an old man I don't particularly like buying clothes because it's a hassle. Was more interested in those when I was younger but then there were only rags to buy. Later, there was a time when I didn't have the money to buy brand-name clothing the quality of which is, over here without exception, better than that of no-name clothing available in supermarkets and discounters. That's why I buy brand-name clothes almost exclusively but mostly off-price and in the sales.
    I don't mind spending more on them as long as I feel comfortable. I want to have clothes in colors other than just black, blue, and grey and they should still fit even after they have been washed several times.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Ken Anderson and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

During my years when I was working outdoors Carhart's was the choice. Great quality & duribility. The transition into management meant looking the part. Several Brooks brothers suits fit that need. Macy's for shirts, ties & shoes to go with. Most important my wife chose everything.

In retirement during the spring summer & fall a T shirt and wrangler jeans pretty much sums up my wardrobe. Winter a sweatshirt or hoodie works. Not hard on clothes I have sweat shirts bought 30 years ago. Going out to a show or fancy restaurant the suits still fit 25 years later in retirement.

I think quality paid off since I'm still using those suits. But since my needs for casual are far less, cheap T-shirts work for me.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

My brother-in-law sold athletic wear and team jackets wholesale to retailers years back. H claimed many of the "big box" retailers sold items made with 6 oz. cloth rather than 8 oz. to cut cost.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.