What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you're confusing me with Beth, you're damn right I'm afraid. ;)

And if you lived closer, I'd send some off to you...it made way more than I wanted. All I started out to do was use the rotten bananas to make banana bread.

Yvonne Smith and Dwight Ward like this.
  2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I appreciate the thought. I did make a pretty good pumpkin pie. My next project is sweet potato pie. I miss my mom's cooking.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Same here.

The one thing my mother use to make that I've not tried is Yorkshire Pudding.

[​IMG]

It's not really a pudding...it's eggs, flour and milk that makes this thing that's bread-like but much better. It's dry...there is no pudding consistency to it (leave it to the British to call it something that it's not.) She did not use a recipe...I suspect the ratio of ingredients is important, with the volume of milk & flour being driven by the size of the eggs. Any recipe I find on the web does not mention any such fine adjustments (damn Yanks.)

As the picture shows, she would make a roast beef in a cast iron pan, remove the beef and put the pan & drippings back into the oven to get screeching smoking hot, dump in the batter, then throw it back into the oven to bake. You serve it (and the mashed potatoes) with gravy.

I rarely make roasts, and when I do they're not very good (I likely pick the wrong cut of meat.) So I never have an opportunity to make this.

She also made apple (my favorite) & mince meat pies, but living alone, I don't make those. The same goes for her brownies (which were always frosted, never plain.)

The only thing of hers I've made knowing that it was hers were spritz cookies for church holiday gatherings.

[​IMG]

I have her old cookie press, and I've picked up a couple of others (and various dies) along the way.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Registered

Making Yorkshire Pudding sounds pretty dangerous, actually. I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Yeh, you pull the batteries from the smoke detector before making it.

6. Dwight Ward

Registered

That makes sense. I take my seatbelt off when I go over 70.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner -- I make Yorkshire puds like this. (3 min video)

Pretty much equal amounts of eggs, flour and milk. I also add salt. I've never made them in beef drippings, though. We like them with a bit of honey drizzled on top.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Registered

Thanks for that, Beth. It sounds a lot easier (and safer) than John's kamikaze recipe.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

Interesting.

She has the authentic accent, but I noticed she measured the flour first and then got lucky that the eggs were the exact right size (although she did it right by using equal volumes of each ingredient.) I would have started with the eggs and then measured to them (yeh, you need to clean out the cup in between.) And she did not grease those cups with olive oil, it looked as though the cups were nearly 1/2 full of oil. Is that how you do yours...the cup filled halfway with oil?

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Helen is British; she lives in Kent if I remember correctly. I don't think most home cooks are as exacting as you are. :p She makes the rolls almost every Sunday with her "Sunday roast" so she can probably make them in her sleep.

Americans usually call these rolls "popovers"; that's what I normally call them. That made me think that we've had this discussion before... https://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/whats-for-supper.1709/page-180#post-454806

And no, I don't use quite as much oil as she does.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

There are some things I may be exacting about, and I do recall this is why my mother balked at writing down a recipe...success depended on the precise ratios. Not only the ratio of ingredients, but things like the grind of the flour (which is why many recipes specify weight.)

I kinda had the same memories stirring that this was V2.0 of this conversation (but September of 2020????) I was gonna ask what the consistency of those popovers were like, because the large single piece done in a frying pan gets flat enough that it cooks and drys out all the way through and hers looked almost soggy. Done in one piece gives you a pie with no filling, with a top and a bottom crust...kinda like a large pita bread. The insides can still be a little moist, but that just a dampness on the interior of the crust. What you mostly get is browned crispy crust that almost requires gravy.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Honestly, they aren't my favorite and that was probably the last time I've made them (2020) due to my fun year 2021. I find them a bit "eggy" tasting but not dry. In my experience they look better than they taste.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@John Brunner -- try using a half recipe in a 6 muffin tin pan; it will fit in the Breville and won't take long to whip up.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Here's an Alton Brown recipe for Yorkshire Pudding that uses the scorching hot cast iron pan. Funny, this was the only recipe I found that does not make individual popovers. You gotta try it this way at least once.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Pork cutlets, rice, gravy, steamed asparagus.

Yvonne Smith likes this.