What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the suggestion, I could have made a 6 month appointment to primary care for the Potassium and also a nerve blocker for my neck. I was having a plugged fuel filter problem and almost didn't get home two months in a row, no filter for my truck anywhere near me. I even looked at walmart online thinking surely they have a simple inline fuel filter...........wrong ! Not available I feel pretty sure one of the 3 auto parts stores in the same town as walmart would have the filter but they do not mail or deliver and like I said my Truck was already about undrivable. It gets to be a little harder to do simple things any more. I'll check online and see if I can find some potassium because it does a good job keeping the cramps in check. I always have good blood work so I know I am not magnesium deficient.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we'll have Mexican food today. Carryout some fajitas or something.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I do hope you feel better. I have gotten up to go to the bathroom on ocassion and been hit with a cramp. Almost wet my pants!
    In the past, I have found fuel filters at flea markets where they might have tools. Maybe car swaps. But not in your heat, I suppose. Maybe put an ad on craigslist and meet at a MacDonald's or somewhere to make the purchase? Check amazon? In your situation I would fear a questionably running vehicle.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I ran a drill thru the center, the carb has a screen on the inlet so it can be removed and cleaned very fast. The old filter is just hard from sitting on the fender well for several years. I had to put it on after the guy that was supposed to have repaired the engine put a 3 wheeler filter on and he cracked the input pin so it was spraying gas all over the engine, I never throw a filter in the trash unless it was plugged but not in just general service. I had a flat camshaft when I took the truck to the guy, he lied about all the engine repair and never put a gasket on the engine saying he had replaced the crankshaft cam and lifters etc., he only ran the valve train all the way down and it miraculously started hitting on 8 cylinders .......... for 9 miles until it started running very bad again. He left town but not only with my money but a lot of other people. I had to replace the cam myself and it took me a very long time because I was just back from hernia surgery and I spent another 500 by the time I got it running again. I was without the truck so I had to pay a neighbor to do the shopping for me. I still have some adjustment to do but I am in no hurry. Long as it runs I don't care because I only drive it to the store and the PO.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm going to take a couple of leftover slices of meatloaf out of the freezer to reheat; add a couple baked potatoes and steam some fresh green beans and call it done!

6. Krystal Shay

Registered

[QUOTE
    My brother claims when he has leg cramps he just takes a spoonful of brown mustard, and it works for him.[/QUOTE]

I have heard that works! But I'm not sure if it's the walk to the refrigerator that relieves the leg cramps, or if its the mustard? I like to think it's the mustard because I am all in for natural remedies.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Mustard does work, but it doesn't have to be brown mustard. When I have a cramp I can swallow the biggest spoon of yellow mustard that I can get down and within a few minutes the cramp is gone. Pickle juice also works pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  8. Krystal Shay

Registered

.[/QUOTE]
    Mustard does work, but it doesn't have to be brown mustard. When I have a cramp I can swallow the biggest spoon of yellow mustard that I can get down and within a few minutes the cramp is gone. Pickle juice also works pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Wonderful! That's good to know!:)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Next shopping trip I'm going to get me a small jar and try it next time I have cramps, it is just about unbearable.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Do you have dill pickles, Thomas? If so, try sipping a little of the liquid when the cramping starts.

11. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I'll get a small bottle, anything is worth a try. It was so bad a couple years ago that I would get cramps in both calves at the same time. I had potassium but the VA never bothered to tell me what they were for so I never started them until they told me when I complained about the cramps. My lower spine is about an inch and a half out of alignment so that just makes it even easier to get cramps. I noticed a few years ago it was happening when I would be stretched out on my back then stretch my legs, I don't do that any more :(

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Do you drink plenty of water, Thomas? Many times cramps are simply the result of dehydration. I know how awful they are; I had terrible cramping when I was on chemotherapy. If I yawned I'd get a cramp in my jaw that made my eyes water.

13. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I don't drink much water, I got a full glass last night and drank a little a couple times at bed time. Drinking more water is probably in my future since I am not taking any meds now except Tylenol for my neck. One thing about Tylenol, it does absolutely nothing for bad knees or joints but it does make my DDD in my neck tolerable. The nerve blocker I was taking for several years is habit forming but I think I have passed that without any problems. I just take the Tylenol 650 each morning and around 2pm. I feel pretty sure the VA will restart Tramadol for my neck problems and it with the nerve blocker really makes it go away. My neck problem started as a bad pain between my ears and slowly dropped until I had 4 vertebra pushing against the nerve sac. My upper body shoulders and arms and hands were affected. My left hand was going to sleep but a couple steroid shots stopped that. I also think it has something to do with my shortness of breath but the neurosurgeon said he didn't think so. If it can short circuit your arms and hands and shoulders then it can also do the same to your lung operation. I don't catch colds, I don't cough, also after my hernia surgery my blood oxygen level was 98 percent, so I think my lungs are good enough, at least for now.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Athletes use it for a quick fix. A good tablespoon and you should be good to go for a while.
    But later you will get a craving for hot dogs.;)

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been lazy lately...had Chinese tonight.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.